News:

Look, I haven't mentioned Zeus, Buddah, or some religion.

Main Menu

Former Atheist

Started by johnny rocket, December 14, 2008, 05:11:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MariaEvri

I cant undrestand how someone who was an atheist (knew that god aint real - saw the impossibility of it) turned to be a theist. I just cant understand it, sorry
God made me an atheist, who are you to question his wisdom!
www.poseidonsimons.com

karadan

Quote from: "Kyuuketsuki"
Quote from: "karadan"Whatever it was you don't find fun, you will after taking some MDMA

It was entirely his own fault but I lost my brother last year to a recreational drug just over a year ago so you'll forgive me if I don't find that particularly amusing. Suffice it to say I don't do those kind of drugs.

Kyu

My apologies. There was no way i could know.
It was simply an attempt to make light of a situation regarding the fun we can have with trolls.
QuoteI find it mistifying that in this age of information, some people still deny the scientific history of our existence.

dodgecity

As I get older, I find troll beating to be less and less fun.

But maybe I shouldn't mention old age. That would be distasteful, considering that your grandfather died of it last year.

Although old age isn't innately bad, and although it can be a wonderful experience for those who know what they're doing, every time someone makes a joke about old age,you should mention your dead grandfather because it is relevant and they shouldn't be disrespecting him, right?

It is appropriate for you to kill dead every conversation that touches on old age in a less than serious way. It is appropriate for you to do this. It is, isn't it?

bowmore

Quote from: "dodgecity"As I get older, I find troll beating to be less and less fun.

But maybe I shouldn't mention old age. That would be distasteful, considering that your grandfather died of it last year.

Although old age isn't innately bad, and although it can be a wonderful experience for those who know what they're doing, every time someone makes a joke about old age,you should mention your dead grandfather because it is relevant and they shouldn't be disrespecting him, right?

It is appropriate for you to kill dead every conversation that touches on old age in a less than serious way. It is appropriate for you to do this. It is, isn't it?

You remind me of one of the best jokes I ever pulled of.

It was quite a while back that I attended a gig by a band, whose drummer was one of my friends. After the gig I joined the band. Only the drummer knew me. When I joined them they were in the middle of telling jokes. In fact they were telling nazi and hitler jokes. I kept a straight face and concentrated hard not to laugh at any of them. After a few jokes my friend, the drummer asked me : Hey, why aren't you laughing. I replied: "My grandfather died in a concentration camp." I probably needn't tell you the atmosphere dropped to a freeze instantly and an "ow shit" could clearly be heard. Waiting just long enough, I continued : "... he fell from the watch tower."

Laughs all around. (The singer swore he'd get back at me some day)

Jokes are a way of putting things in perspective, and I can tell you : I've heard the best handicap jokes from a guy in a wheel chair.
"Rational arguments don’t usually work on religious people. Otherwise there would be no religious people."

House M.D.

karadan

Quote from: "bowmore"
Quote from: "dodgecity"As I get older, I find troll beating to be less and less fun.

You remind me of one of the best jokes I ever pulled of.

It was quite a while back that I attended a gig by a band, whose drummer was one of my friends. After the gig I joined the band. Only the drummer knew me. When I joined them they were in the middle of telling jokes. In fact they were telling nazi and hitler jokes. I kept a straight face and concentrated hard not to laugh at any of them. After a few jokes my friend, the drummer asked me : Hey, why aren't you laughing. I replied: "My grandfather died in a concentration camp." I probably needn't tell you the atmosphere dropped to a freeze instantly and an "ow shit" could clearly be heard. Waiting just long enough, I continued : "... he fell from the watch tower."

Laughs all around. (The singer swore he'd get back at me some day)

Jokes are a way of putting things in perspective, and I can tell you : I've heard the best handicap jokes from a guy in a wheel chair.

Haha!!
QuoteI find it mistifying that in this age of information, some people still deny the scientific history of our existence.

oldschooldoc

Quote from: "Kyuuketsuki"
Quote from: "laetusatheos"1.  What's a futurist?
2.  Wouldn't that mean it would make more sense to be a hippie?  Make love not war.  I don't think that the biblical God has the idea that love is the only currency.  You can't throw out the OT just because parts of the NT sound good...at least not when God is supposed to be unchanging.

Oh brilliant! I was sitting here thinking how do I say these things and not come across as aggressive? Well done :)

Kyu

Brilliant, brilliant! I was wondering the same things. I second the notion (what laetusatheos said) that being a hippie would make more sense in this case. I consider myself a 'modern day' hippie of sorts. And I love love, but don't believe in god...I don't understand what he is getting at.
OldSchoolDoc

"I will choose a path that's clear, I will choose freewill" - Neil Peart
"Imagine there's no Heaven, it's easy if you try..." - John Lennon

dodgecity

@bowmore: Hahaha, wow, I think my joke pales in comparison with that.

But I do agree that jokes can be used to say something in a way that can't be expressed by any other form of rhetoric.

karadan

Quote from: "dodgecity"@bowmore: Hahaha, wow, I think my joke pales in comparison with that.

But I do agree that jokes can be used to say something in a way that can't be expressed by any other form of rhetoric.

Indeed. It is also a way people cope with things which are very difficult to digest otherwise.

I think it is very important to be able to laugh at yourself especially if you have made a mistake.

McQ

Well, I don't know if our spammer/troll is coming back or not, but his link was rather interesting.

And Kyu, I don't know if you mentioned it before and I simply missed it, but I am very sorry to hear about your brother's death. Isn't it weird how we use the term "recreational drug" as if it is something that is just for fun, benign, or otherwise a lark? I know why we distinguish between that and really hard-core addiction, but it can obviously be just as tragic and deadly. Very sad.
Elvis didn't do no drugs!
--Penn Jillette

Wechtlein Uns

Hey everyone, haven't posted in this thread in a while.  :nerd:

Bowmore, that was a very funny joke. I'm never funny when I try to be, which is why you won't see me posting a joke of my own right now, as my mind is blank. It always get's like that, since I'm older than dirt, and dirt is older than my best friends mom, and no that's not a joke. Ok, I'm actually 19. Whatever. >_>

I like humor. don't you? I think it's very important to be able to laugh, but sometimes I think joking can numb the brain and make it difficult to think intelligently. For some reason, when I've been laughing non-stop at internet humor, I swear my personal IQ drops 10 points. Maybe because the brain is better suited to thinking when it's under stress and pessimism, while when you're in euphoria you can hardly think straight to verbally abuse the poor bastard who thinks he can get one over on you.

Makes sense, I think. I always do better at chess when I'm in a lousy mood and want to crush my opponent. I guess you can't have the best of both worlds, huh?
"What I mean when I use the term "god" represents nothing more than an interactionist view of the universe, a particularite view of time, and an ever expansive view of myself." -- Jose Luis Nunez.

johnny rocket

It may not be that complicated. I see God is a rational guy operating exclusively within the practical realm.

For specific details, read the 4 page "Futurist Series", starting with the Free Crown Point problem:

http://markplain.com/free_crown_point.aspx

Kyuuketsuki

Quote from: "karadan"My apologies. There was no way i could know.
It was simply an attempt to make light of a situation regarding the fun we can have with trolls.

No worries, I just have difficulty laughing at that kind of stuff because of events personal to me.

This guy is a total troll ... I haven't visited his website but it seems to me that he must be selling something he seems so determined to get us to go to his site.

Kyu
James C. Rocks: UK Tech Portal & Science, Just Science

[size=150]Not Long For This Forum [/size]

Martian

Quote from: "johnny rocket"I shed my atheistic beliefs for two reasons.

1. I became a futurist.
2. I shared the same utopian ideals as God, i.e., I prefer to live in an environment where love is the only currency.   :)

http://markplain.com
Non sequitur/appeal to consequences
"When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty."
-Thomas Jefferson

(I DON'T BELIEVE GOD EXISTS)

oldschooldoc

I finally went to that website of his. Pretty interesting...not.
OldSchoolDoc

"I will choose a path that's clear, I will choose freewill" - Neil Peart
"Imagine there's no Heaven, it's easy if you try..." - John Lennon

Wechtlein Uns

end of thread. R. I. P.

:beer:
"What I mean when I use the term "god" represents nothing more than an interactionist view of the universe, a particularite view of time, and an ever expansive view of myself." -- Jose Luis Nunez.