News:

Departing the Vacuousness

Main Menu

Re: Steven Colbert Attacking Atheists

Started by nikkixsugar, December 13, 2008, 03:05:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Godless

So I've been watching the Colbert Report and he seems to be denouncing atheists more since it is approaching Christmas time. On today's episode, he pretty much used some generalizations/misconceptions against us, saying that we think life is meaningless, we "want to take the 'Christ' out of Christmas," this time of year annoys us and that sort of thing. However, I kind of find it amusing because it just shows how people love to generalize us when they don't really know anything. How do you guys feel about this?

curiosityandthecat

He attacks atheists the same way he attacks bears.

My feeling is that he is one. Remember, there's Stephen Colbert and then there's "Stephen Colbert." He's playing a character on the show, not himself.
-Curio

Martian

Stephen Colbert plays a character parody of Bill O'reily and all neo-conservative religious-fundamentalists in general.

[youtube:312p6mun]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VPfZBtxrT5s[/youtube:312p6mun]
"When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty."
-Thomas Jefferson

(I DON'T BELIEVE GOD EXISTS)

BadPoison

I saw his bit on atheists during his "the word" segment last night. I thought it was hilarious. And I agree with Curio, that either he himself is an atheist, or someone on his writing staff is an atheist. It's all parody.

rlrose328

Did any of you watch his "Christmas Special" with Elvis Costello?  What a hoot!

Knowing he himself is less of a believer than his alter-ego, I was confused by his having that country singer on his special... isn't he the singer who did the song bashing the Dixie Chicks after their faux-pas overseas?  

Anyway, yes.. Stephen Colbert the ultra-conservative is a parody of all of the neoconservatives out there... take it all as a slight to them and it all makes sense.  :lol:
**Kerri**
The Rogue Atheist Scrapbooker
Come visit me on Facebook!

Whitney

Steven Colbert is a comedian who is essentially playing the fundie creationist role.  Of course he would include "attacks" on atheists as part of his routine.

I spoke with Lori Lipman Brown (google her), who has been on his show and she said that Colbert was actually very nice and sent her a thank you note that said something funny like god bless at the end of it.  Obviously that would have been offensive if it was from most anyone else writing to an atheist.

Basically, consider the source before getting upset.

nikkixsugar

Quote from: "Godless"So I've been watching the Colbert Report and he seems to be denouncing atheists more since it is approaching Christmas time. On today's episode, he pretty much used some generalizations/misconceptions against us, saying that we think life is meaningless, we "want to take the 'Christ' out of Christmas," this time of year annoys us and that sort of thing. However, I kind of find it amusing because it just shows how people love to generalize us when they don't really know anything. How do you guys feel about this?

As others have said, Stephen is just a character. He's trying to emulate Bill O'Reilly.

//sweetjesusihatebilloreilly.com

This site has all the stupid stuff Bill O says and sometimes features Colbert and John Stewart calling him out on it!
Hate to tell you, but.....

Sorry but you are not allowed to view spoiler contents.

DennisK

Colbert is the most witty, funny and ballzy person in the entertainment business that I've seen.  To say what he did at the White House Correspondents' Association Dinner in 2006 was unbelievably funny.
[youtube:1afdv1cv]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qa-4E8ZDj9s[/youtube:1afdv1cv]

How do you embed YouTube vids?
"If you take a highly intelligent person and give them the best possible, elite education, then you will most likely wind up with an academic who is completely impervious to reality." -Halton Arp

Whitney

Quote from: "DennisK"Colbert is the most witty, funny and ballzy person in the entertainment business that I've seen.  To say what he did at the White House Correspondents' Association Dinner in 2006 was unbelievably funny.
http://ca.youtube.com/watch?v=qa-4E8ZDj9s

How do you embed YouTube vids?

you can only embed  "youtube.com" links "ca.youtube.com" won't work