News:

if there were no need for 'engineers from the quantum plenum' then we should not have any unanswered scientific questions.

Main Menu

Nice to meet you.

Started by Wechtlein Uns, November 26, 2008, 07:19:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wechtlein Uns

Hi. It's nice to meet all of you guys. My name is Wechtlein Uns, and I live somewhere around south texas. I found this website when the previous atheist forum I went to got taken down, which saddened me greatly, but I hope I can make some good friends here. Some things about me: I am not your typical Mexican American, as I am very anglicised, and identify more with british culture than I ever would with mexico. I say british culture because It has been a long standing fantasy of mine to attend Oxford University, though I know it'll never happen.

Even though I live in south texas, I am very afraid of guns, though I often don't show it. Seeing a gun being fired on tv is completely different from feeling the heaviness in the air, and flinching backwards as the loud BANG! rackets the entire neighboorhood. It's quite a scary feeling dealing with guns in person.

Also, being from South texas, and being born Mexican American, it stands to reason that I was raised Roman Catholic. I went through this over at my other forum, but here I'll just say that as I grew up, my intense sincerity towards catholocism and christianity turned to very dark cynicism and resentment. I almost committed suicide because of my beliefs in Christianity, apparently wanting to become a sacrafice for god so that all the people hell would go to heaven in exchange for my taking up residence in hell. The idea strikes me as very foolish and stupid today, but back then I was dead serious about it. Christianity was fear.

But, even though I once called myself an atheist, I am more hesitant to use the term now. Atheism left me very cold, and very sterile, and did nothing to answer long standing questions about myself and the world around me. When I was an atheist, I felt that I still needed an answer to a lot of questions I had. It wasn't that I thought atheism couldn't be true, but rather that the worldview hadn't yet really started work on the myriad questions that needed answering.

But anyway, I'm sure you guys will learn all about me through my posts in this forum. There's no need to detail my life's story. Still, for a general(very) overview of my worldview, see my signature.

I hope you guys are cool cats. Nice to meet you, and always wear a condom!  :blush:
"What I mean when I use the term "god" represents nothing more than an interactionist view of the universe, a particularite view of time, and an ever expansive view of myself." -- Jose Luis Nunez.

Faithless

Welcome to the forum!

I like to think we are some of the coolest cats around, as long as you don't try to herd us!
"In order to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe." - Carl Sagan

"It ain't those parts of the Bible that I can't understand that bother me, it is the parts that I do understand." - Mark Twain

curiosityandthecat

Some of us are cooler cats than others.  ;)

Welcome!
-Curio

McQ

Hi Wechtlein and welcome to the forum. Thanks for the introduction. We're happy to have you here.
Elvis didn't do no drugs!
--Penn Jillette

Zarathustra

Quote from: "Wechtlein Uns"Even though I live in south texas, I am very afraid of guns, though I often don't show it. Seeing a gun being fired on tv is completely different from feeling the heaviness in the air, and flinching backwards as the loud BANG! rackets the entire neighboorhood. It's quite a scary feeling dealing with guns in person.
Must be. I have never seen (except in a museum), heard or fired a gun in real life.
Welcome.
"Man does not draw his laws from nature, but impose them upon nature" - Kant
[size=85]English is not my native language, so please don't attack my grammar, attack my message instead[/size]

Wechtlein Uns

Thanks for the warm welcome, you guys. I appreciate it.  :D
"What I mean when I use the term "god" represents nothing more than an interactionist view of the universe, a particularite view of time, and an ever expansive view of myself." -- Jose Luis Nunez.

Kyuuketsuki

James C. Rocks: UK Tech Portal & Science, Just Science

[size=150]Not Long For This Forum [/size]