News:

Look, I haven't mentioned Zeus, Buddah, or some religion.

Main Menu

Science is God

Started by Sophus, November 25, 2008, 09:55:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sophus

I don't know if I'm posting my theory in the right place, but I think it fits into Philosophy.... Anyways here it is:

If the universe had been created by a being then we can agree that it created all of the laws of nature. I think we can also agree that science has done a great job of observing and understanding the programmer's code. "If x happens, then a will occur." My favorite example, if an apple breaks loose from it's tree branch the law of gravity will bring it down. Thus, I.D. only suggests that it took the supernatural to engender the natural. With our "if, then" equation in mind, a creator would no longer have any control of his created universe, should he wish for the laws to remain consistent (which they always are). Meaning, from the moment the universe was created it was inevitable that the laws would function in a manner to wrought this place into exactly what we see today. A creator would be just that. A supernatural creator; not a supernatural regulator. It would not regulate any further activity. Including any acts through people should he remain loyal to his promise of not tempering with our free will.

On the whole, should, on the unlikely account, this God fellow actually exist he is given far too much credit for "creating." He merely spoke the laws of nature into being, kicked back in his recliner and enjoyed the show.
‎"Christian doesn't necessarily just mean good. It just means better." - John Oliver

curiosityandthecat

Quote from: "Sophus"a creator would no longer have any control of his created universe, should he wish for the laws to remain consistent (which they always are).

I think a personally-invested-creator theist would say that this is where miracles come in (though we know it's crap).

QuoteOn the whole, should, on the unlikely account, this God fellow actually exist he is given far too much credit for "creating." He merely spoke the laws of nature into being, kicked back in his recliner and enjoyed the show.

Deism. :)
-Curio

Zarathustra

Quote from: "Sophus"Science is God
Sophus... why are you all of a sudden demeaning science?  ;)

Although your reasoning is fun, I just want to object that I think "god" refers to something we have no knowledge of or use of. Science is MUCH better!
"Man does not draw his laws from nature, but impose them upon nature" - Kant
[size=85]English is not my native language, so please don't attack my grammar, attack my message instead[/size]

Sophus

I'm not a deist. Just showing that even if there is a creator he is not a regulator. And yes science is better. :beer:
‎"Christian doesn't necessarily just mean good. It just means better." - John Oliver

Wechtlein Uns

That's like saying science is science.

And I ain't gonna worship science.  :upset:

Do you think your creator god may be understood through inquiry? If not, then you're basically deist. If yes, then who cares? science is science.
"What I mean when I use the term "god" represents nothing more than an interactionist view of the universe, a particularite view of time, and an ever expansive view of myself." -- Jose Luis Nunez.

Sophus

Clearly the title is giving some people the wrong idea. How about "the natural laws of science are mistaken for god"? Let me make it clear I don't believe in a creator but if there were one this is my explanation for it. Basically saying prayer and religion would still be bunk even with a god.

Zarathustra

Quote from: "Sophus"Clearly the title is giving some people the wrong idea. How about "the natural laws of science are mistaken for god"? Let me make it clear I don't believe in a creator but if there were one this is my explanation for it. Basically saying prayer and religion would still be bunk even with a god.
If that is the case, I agree. That is why I have the quote in my signature.
"Man does not draw his laws from nature, but impose them upon nature" - Kant
[size=85]English is not my native language, so please don't attack my grammar, attack my message instead[/size]