News:

Departing the Vacuousness

Main Menu

A Very Atheist Christmas - 666 Words On Atheist XMas

Started by Kylyssa, November 24, 2008, 01:17:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kylyssa

Christian Christmas uses such icons as reindeer, mistletoe, Santa Claus, snowmen and pine trees. Since these are all respected religious tenets of Christianity I propose that we, as atheists, should avoid co-opting them for our own Christmas celebrations.  
View more »»»

MariaEvri

God made me an atheist, who are you to question his wisdom!
www.poseidonsimons.com

LARA

Good satire.  The witchy side of me will be celebrating Yule this season and have no reservations about the Catholic church trying to possess these ancient practices for conversion purposes.  In fact, I might even go so far as to set out a creche depicting the stages of evolution in plastic toys that culminates in a happy baby Jesus.  Who said I can't have dinosaurs in my manger?
Freedom is the freedom to say that two plus two make four. If that is granted, all else follows.
                                                                                                                    -Winston Smith, protagonist of 1984 by George Orwell

jrosebud

Quote from: "LARA"Good satire.  The witchy side of me will be celebrating Yule this season and have no reservations about the Catholic church trying to possess these ancient practices for conversion purposes.  In fact, I might even go so far as to set out a creche depicting the stages of evolution in plastic toys that culminates in a happy baby Jesus.  Who said I can't have dinosaurs in my manger?

must. post. pictures.
"Every post you can hitch your faith on
Is a pie in the sky,
Chock full of lies,
A tool we devise
To make sinking stones fly."

~from A Comet Apears by The Shins

Asmodean

This Crissmiss I plan on having a normal day just like every other, except no school. BUT I take the challenge of carving His Flying Noodleness from dough  :D
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.

Squid

Christmas is a mixture of solstice celebrations.  If I remember correctly, the exchange of gifts and feasting goes back to old Roman celebrations, the mistletoe is even older as is decorating a tree.  I think Christmas was even banned by the Puritans in Boston for like two decades.

karadan

I don't consider christmas a religious ceremony. I grew up getting presents from my family once a year because it was christmas. My family never discussed its root in christianity and it was only as i entered primary school that teachers started telling me what it was all about. Nativity plays etc.

I still never really made that connection though. I knew that it was a celebration of the birth of Christ, but when christmas came, all i cared about was the fact that it was an ace day with my family, lots of presents and some darn good cookin'.

Christmas, to me, is all about telling your family how much you love them and then endulging in rich food and booze. I usually stock up on indigestion remedies way before christmas haha.

If someone tells me i'm not allowed to use christian items to celebrate christmas then they can shove their views up their ass :D I'll continue to use religious iconography at crimbo purely because it is tradition and it reminds me of how awesome my family are. To not decorate christmas with these objects would be to sanitise christmas completely.

Just because i have a crimbo tree doesn't mean i believe in the baby jebus.
QuoteI find it mistifying that in this age of information, some people still deny the scientific history of our existence.

Asmodean

You know, the sad thing about christmas being a nice time with the family is when the family is not a nice company around that time of year. Some people's idea of having quality time is getting shit-faced, beating the crap out of the kids and drinking even more after that.  :| They are few, but many enough to ruin that particular point in my opinion.
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.

Kylyssa

Quote from: "Squid"Christmas is a mixture of solstice celebrations.  If I remember correctly, the exchange of gifts and feasting goes back to old Roman celebrations, the mistletoe is even older as is decorating a tree.  I think Christmas was even banned by the Puritans in Boston for like two decades.

Exactly.  Basically every trapping of Christmas except the nativity scenes comes from various Roman and European religious or traditional festivities practiced long before Christianity nosed its way into the solstice celebrations.

LARA

Quotejrosebud wrote:  must. post. pictures.

Well you got me.  I don't own a creche.
Freedom is the freedom to say that two plus two make four. If that is granted, all else follows.
                                                                                                                    -Winston Smith, protagonist of 1984 by George Orwell

Kylyssa

If you want to make me ecstatically happy you can vote this article up on Shoutwire or on Digg.

Just so you know - I get paid per view on that and all other articles on Associated Content which earns me about enough to buy my lupus meds every month.