News:

When one conveys certain things, particularly of such gravity, should one not then appropriately cite sources, authorities...

Main Menu

General views of The Brights?

Started by DennisK, November 17, 2008, 04:27:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DennisK

The idea of uniting constituents for a cause is appealing to me.  What does everyone think about The Brights movement and organization?  Are you members?  Maybe list some pros and cons to The Brights.
http://www.the-brights.net
"If you take a highly intelligent person and give them the best possible, elite education, then you will most likely wind up with an academic who is completely impervious to reality." -Halton Arp

curiosityandthecat

Pro: They're probably, as a collection, smarter than most groups (with the exception of MENSA).

Con: It doesn't help atheists and nonbelievers look more appealing to hegemonic eyes.

Just the name "Brights" implies that those who hold an alternate worldview are the opposite: dims. While this may be true, it's not a conducive way to (to borrow a phrase from the ID proponents) "wedge" our way into the mainstream. That's all I can say right now... haven't had my coffee yet.
-Curio

crocofish

I have been getting their newsletters since about the time they were founded around 2003.  They have a noble cause, but I personally find it hard to get excited about it.  The "herding cats" problem handicaps them, and other secular organizations, from taking off as a huge movement.  Freethinking people aren't easily convinced to rally behind an organization.  Religious organizations have an advantage of having members that follow whatever their leaders tell them to do, like donating lots of money or voting the way they are told to vote (or being scared into donating money and voting a certain way by a fabricated cultural war).  I don't think we would see similar herd mentality in a secular organization.  Perhaps a charismatic leader and unified cause will break through the skepticism, and a secular organization might gain significant momentum, but I'm not convinced the "The Brights" is that organization.
"The cloud condenses, and looks back on itself, in wonder." -- unknown

Kyuuketsuki

Quote from: "DennisK"The idea of uniting constituents for a cause is appealing to me.  What does everyone think about The Brights movement and organization?  Are you members?  Maybe list some pros and cons to The Brights.

I think the name is really, really naff!

Kyu
James C. Rocks: UK Tech Portal & Science, Just Science

[size=150]Not Long For This Forum [/size]

DennisK

Forgive me, but what is the meaning of "naff"?  I've never heard of it.  Then again, I don't get out much.
"If you take a highly intelligent person and give them the best possible, elite education, then you will most likely wind up with an academic who is completely impervious to reality." -Halton Arp

Kyuuketsuki

Quote from: "DennisK"Forgive me, but what is the meaning of "naff"?  I've never heard of it.  Then again, I don't get out much.

Rubbish, crap, awful ... I utterly detest the fact that they stole the word for their new movement however I really hate the fact that gays stole their particular name. I don't hate gays at all, I just hate the fact that I can no longer really use the word "gay" and say I'm it (and sometimes I am) ... at least The Brights are not well known enough a movement to have screwed the use of the word.

Kyu
James C. Rocks: UK Tech Portal & Science, Just Science

[size=150]Not Long For This Forum [/size]

DennisK

When I first heard the term in reference to their movement, I was thinking it sounded quite arrogant.  However, after rolling it around my brain for a few months it seems not as bold.  I'm sure the reference to intelligence was not by accident, however, the other definitions (radiating light, vivid, cheerful, favorable, intensely clear) make the choice of word much better.

I seriously doubt that "bright" could have the same result as "gay" for the homosexual cause.  On the other hand, I would more than be willing to relinquish the word if it had the same effect for atheists 'coming out'.

Stoicheion

isn't the whole Bright thing secular in a way?
[size=85]So why does there only have to be one correct philosophy?
I don't wanna go and follow you just to end up like one of them
And why are you always telling me what you want me to believe?
I'd like to think that I can go my own way and meet you in the end
Go my own way and meet you in the end
"Same Direction" - Hoobastank
[/size]