News:

When one conveys certain things, particularly of such gravity, should one not then appropriately cite sources, authorities...

Main Menu

what do you make of this?

Started by jrosebud, November 07, 2008, 05:48:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jrosebud

"Every post you can hitch your faith on
Is a pie in the sky,
Chock full of lies,
A tool we devise
To make sinking stones fly."

~from A Comet Apears by The Shins

Kyuuketsuki

I think the claim that atheists are more miserable than theists needs to be supported by evidence (to be honest I wouldn't trust a theist to tell the truth about their state of happiness if he/she was being hit round the head with a wet kipper) and I know I have reservations about giving to charities with religious backing or intent (IOW I wouldn't unless I was convinced they were actually doing a good job and weren't being religious missionaries) so that kind of thing may be a factor.

Kyu
James C. Rocks: UK Tech Portal & Science, Just Science

[size=150]Not Long For This Forum [/size]

curiosityandthecat

Quote from: "Kyuuketsuki"I think the claim that atheists are more miserable than theists needs to be supported by evidence (to be honest I wouldn't trust a theist to tell the truth about their state of happiness if he/she was being hit round the head with a wet kipper) and I know I have reservations about giving to charities with religious backing or intent (IOW I wouldn't unless I was convinced they were actually doing a good job and weren't being religious missionaries) so that kind of thing may be a factor.

Kyu

I've come across some research that suggests that religious people do tend to be less miserable than nonreligious folk, but it ended up having nothing to do with their religious convictions. It actually to do with community involvement and being part of a group. Religious people tend to go to church, but those who were part of secular community groups had the same levels of happiness and contentment with life. I'll try to find the article when I'm home. (I'm still at work.)
-Curio

rlrose328

Quote from: "jrosebud"http://www.slate.com/id/2203614/?GT1=38001

"... a hat, a broach, a pterydactyl..."

<what, no "Airplane" fans here???>
**Kerri**
The Rogue Atheist Scrapbooker
Come visit me on Facebook!

curiosityandthecat

Quote from: "rlrose328"<what, no "Airplane" fans here???>

:idea:

-Curio

Zarathustra

To all of you Americans, who are frustrated with having to cope with findings like these, I recommend this brand new book:
"A society without God" by Phil Zuckermann. He is an american ph.d. in religionsociology. The book adress the fact that Denmark in all international surveys are considered one of the happiest, safest societies on the planet. Yet the population here is about 40% atheist. Zuckermann even explains why - in an americans eyes - we are close to 90 % atheism. The book is not interesting for a Dane (we live here, we knew that already), but I think it is for amracan citizens. Whom he also wrote it for.
"Man does not draw his laws from nature, but impose them upon nature" - Kant
[size=85]English is not my native language, so please don't attack my grammar, attack my message instead[/size]

Kylyssa

Quote from: "Zarathustra"To all of you Americans, who are frustrated with having to cope with findings like these, I recommend this brand new book:
"A society without God" by Phil Zuckermann. He is an american ph.d. in religionsociology. The book adress the fact that Denmark in all international surveys are considered one of the happiest, safest societies on the planet. Yet the population here is about 40% atheist. Zuckermann even explains why - in an americans eyes - we are close to 90 % atheism. The book is not interesting for a Dane (we live here, we knew that already), but I think it is for amracan citizens. Whom he also wrote it for.

Excellent!  I'm off to find a copy.  Thank you!

Tanker

So what if theists are happier then atheists, a drunk man is happier then a sober one, but it doesn't mean you should be drunk ALL the time? (The drunk remark is retorical I know some of you would LOL)
"I'd rather die the go to heaven" - William Murderface Murderface  Murderface-

I've been in fox holes, I'm still an atheist -Me-

God is a cake, and we all know what the cake is.

(my spelling, grammer, and punctuation suck, I know, but regardless of how much I read they haven't improved much since grade school. It's actually a bit of a family joke.

Kyuuketsuki

Quote from: "Tanker"So what if theists are happier then atheists, a drunk man is happier then a sober one, but it doesn't mean you should be drunk ALL the time? (The drunk remark is rhetorical I know some of you would LOL)

Good point ... the theist being happier than an atheist also ignores the fact that one might weigh happiness against other factors i.e. to one person being happy might be paramount but to another ensuring others are happy might be, and to yet others something else, I mean is being "happy" an necessarily indicative of satisfaction or a good (valued) life? In fact I guess it would be easy to make a case fort the happiness of theists actually being quite selfish (especially when you consider the apparent ineffectual nature of prayer compared to actually getting up off your arse and doing something about the world).

Kyu
James C. Rocks: UK Tech Portal & Science, Just Science

[size=150]Not Long For This Forum [/size]