News:

Unnecessarily argumentative

Main Menu

Death

Started by Moosader, October 14, 2008, 07:19:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Moosader

While I'm pretty sure this has been discussed somewhere at some time in this forum, I just wanted to see how others felt about it, or how others respond to your views on death.

For me, I don't fear being dead.  I may fear dying or being conscious of the fact that I'm dying, but the thought of being dead doesn't bother me.  Why?  Because I 'believe' that, when you die, you're dead.  In other words, your organs, including your brain, don't work.  So you're not conscious of the fact that you're dead.  I wouldn't know that I'm dead, so I wouldn't care.

Albeit, I do feel guilty because the people I leave behind hopefully aren't going to also be dead, and therefore have to mourn.  For this reason I also fear the deaths of others, because I would miss many people terribly if they were to die.

Actually, a month or two ago a very conservative relative of mine got crushed by a lawnmower and died.  That was an interesting funeral (er, not because he died due to lawnmower-on-cinderblocks, but because I haven't been to a conservative funeral).  They told us he'd be fishing for Rainbow Trout in the Rivers of Heaven.

It's kind of odd to me how people need to believe that they'll keep living after they die.  I understand why they would like to believe that, but it doesn't seem like wanting that to happen is enough justification for it happening.  For the friends and family of the deceased, I guess it does help if they believe that they are in a better place, and that they can still "talk" to the person by praying, or that the person is watching over them.

What are your beliefs on death?  What are your viewpoints on this stuff?
Make lunch, not war!

Squid

It not death that bothers me - it's the ultimate ending but it's just by what method I get there that I may have a problem with.  There's a big difference between dying peacefully in my sleep and getting eaten alive by a houseful of starving, feral cats.

Kyuuketsuki

Quote from: "Squid"It not death that bothers me - it's the ultimate ending but it's just by what method I get there that I may have a problem with.  There's a big difference between dying peacefully in my sleep and getting eaten alive by a houseful of starving, feral cats.

Agreed ... "Life is pleasant. Death is peaceful. It's the transition that's troublesome." Isaac Asimov

Kyu
James C. Rocks: UK Tech Portal & Science, Just Science

[size=150]Not Long For This Forum [/size]

MariaEvri

I agree with you. Its not my death that bothers me much I guess, its the ones I leave behind. I have had many deaths in my family, the worst being my mother, I was trerribly sad that I lost her, but I was even sadder for my father. And my grandmother. And same goes for all deaths I went through.
God made me an atheist, who are you to question his wisdom!
www.poseidonsimons.com

Sophus

Yeah, death is nice. Dieing... not so much.
‎"Christian doesn't necessarily just mean good. It just means better." - John Oliver

Asmodean

More or less the same answer here.

I'd rather not wither away for years. Dead is dead, but the quicker, the better.
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.

Jolly Sapper

I'm going to agree with every sentiment posted so far.

curiosityandthecat

Dying is the last great act you can perform... do it boldly. Preferably, with cheerleaders.
-Curio

LARA

I believe in life after death, just not my own.

But what am I?  What is me is simply a moving pattern of matter.  My physical nature isn't all that much different from anyone else's, but "my" ideas can transcend the flesh so to speak and end up elsewhere in a semipermanent state after I die.  I look at words as the true ghosts of the living, metaphorically speaking of course.  Ideas have a new physical carrier, from flesh to sand, to stone, to paper, or to pixels, the media really doesn't matter. Ars longa, vita bevia

People are valuable repositories of knowledge for each other.  To lose a member of society is too lose that knowledge which wasn't passed on, so we of course we mourn.  For some of us, it requires forming an imaginary idea of the person to cope with their passing.  We can simulate them in our minds, imagine their voices guiding us and what they might say in situations when we are in need.  It helps some with the grieving process.  It isn't real to anyone else, but if one considers the value of human knowledge to a human family in evolutionary terms, it's possible to understand mourning better.

What's sad is that people don't die all at once.  As they get older, they change, lose their memory with age.  They aren't really the people they once were.  I see this process in my Dad, who was my strongest influence as a child in the areas of science.  I realize as he is growing older I'm desperately trying to gain as much of his knowledge as possible, while trying to weed out all the other crap he's picked up over the years.  He's still here, but I think about the reality of his mortality more and more frequently.  I think it would piss him off to know I've been mourning him for the past few years, but I have.  I'm not sure if I will cry at his funeral, because I've kind of been doing the whole thing preemptively.  It makes it easier to deal with.
Freedom is the freedom to say that two plus two make four. If that is granted, all else follows.
                                                                                                                    -Winston Smith, protagonist of 1984 by George Orwell

Asmodean

Quote from: "curiosityandthecat"Dying is the last great act you can perform... do it boldly. Preferably, with cheerleaders.
Personally, I prefer heavy machinegun fire, flashing lights and deafening explosions.  :D
In Asmo's grey lump,
Luxembourg trembles.

curiosityandthecat

Quote from: "Asmodean"
Quote from: "curiosityandthecat"Dying is the last great act you can perform... do it boldly. Preferably, with cheerleaders.
Personally, I prefer heavy machinegun fire, flashing lights and deafening explosions.  :D

Sounds like the way Hunter S. Thompson wanted to go out.  :banna:
-Curio

Asmodean

Quote from: "curiosityandthecat"Sounds like the way Hunter S. Thompson wanted to go out.  :unsure:
In Asmo's grey lump,
Luxembourg trembles.

quizlixx

i fear death, i don't understand it. i would love nothing more than to have a god that looked after me and i would live on for eternity in heaven, sadly, this is not the case. i suppose as i grow older, i will be able to grasp what happens when you die a little bit better. but for the time being, i do fear death.
"The truth is incontrovertible, malice may attack it, ignorance may deride it, but in the end; there it is."

Kyuuketsuki

Quote from: "quizlixx"i fear death, i don't understand it. i would love nothing more than to have a god that looked after me and i would live on for eternity in heaven, sadly, this is not the case. i suppose as i grow older, i will be able to grasp what happens when you die a little bit better. but for the time being, i do fear death.

Yeah I fear death, not so much the pain just the not being any more ... I wouldn't want there to be a god of any sort but I would certainly like to live for somewhat longer than I anticipate I actually will.

Kyu
James C. Rocks: UK Tech Portal & Science, Just Science

[size=150]Not Long For This Forum [/size]

quizlixx

Quote from: "Kyuuketsuki"
Quote from: "quizlixx"i fear death, i don't understand it. i would love nothing more than to have a god that looked after me and i would live on for eternity in heaven, sadly, this is not the case. i suppose as i grow older, i will be able to grasp what happens when you die a little bit better. but for the time being, i do fear death.

Yeah I fear death, not so much the pain just the not being any more ... I wouldn't want there to be a god of any sort but I would certainly like to live for somewhat longer than I anticipate I actually will.

Kyu
i take my "god" comment back. and also, i'm just not done living. :lol:
"The truth is incontrovertible, malice may attack it, ignorance may deride it, but in the end; there it is."