News:

Nitpicky? Hell yes.

Main Menu

Dawkins Tries to Reason with a Muslim

Started by Godless, October 12, 2008, 08:31:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Godless

curiosityandthecat

I have this entire series. Awesome stuff. It's the same documentary in which he gawks at Ted Haggart and gets thrown out of the compound. Brilliant.

:hail:

(Why is it that a British accent makes everyone sound so much more intelligent?  :lol: )
-Curio

rlrose328

I'd love to say it made me laugh, but it didn't.  It made me a little sick to my stomach.  Muslims constantly want to say that they are peaceful and just want to live their lives... and then we see this guy, a former US citizen, who is advocating terrorism in the name of his adopted religion.

Seriously... like men in this country could control how the women dress?  THAT did give me a chuckle.

But the rest... nope.  Just made me go cold all over.
**Kerri**
The Rogue Atheist Scrapbooker
Come visit me on Facebook!

MariaEvri

agreed. I watched it and it made me so angry and sick, especially the women part.
God made me an atheist, who are you to question his wisdom!
www.poseidonsimons.com

Tanker

It seemed clear that Yusef had thoght out his retoric well ahead of time and didden't listen to a word that Dawkins said or even try to comprehend his questions. He seemed primed to spout his garbage without ever seeking to have an open dialogue. Sad but it seems all fundamentalist have this flaw. The really sad part is the shizim between Shite and Sunni Muslims is just as great as any other religion so even in the hypothetical event Islam did rule the world we would still be stuck with religious war.
"I'd rather die the go to heaven" - William Murderface Murderface  Murderface-

I've been in fox holes, I'm still an atheist -Me-

God is a cake, and we all know what the cake is.

(my spelling, grammer, and punctuation suck, I know, but regardless of how much I read they haven't improved much since grade school. It's actually a bit of a family joke.

wazzz

yea Funny Stuff
Sniff And snuff Stuff
like these words  :hail:  :hail:
int main()
{
cout<<"Hello World ";
return 0;
}

Chimera

I remember seeing this. I watched the whole documentary on YouTube awhile back. That part made me feel pretty sick too. People like that make me wonder why I have any faith in humanity at all.
"I refuse to believe in a god who is the primary cause of conflict in the world, preaches racism, sexism, homophobia, and ignorance, and then sends me to hell if I’m 'bad.'" â€" Mike Fuhrman

gwyn428

Yusuf made a video where he claimed that Dawkins actually edited the footage to make him sound like an extremist. Typical.

DennisK

The video wasn't working, but I had probably already watched it.  I'm a huge fan of RD.  I think we should be cautious about stereotyping muslims from radical perspectives.  I assume most muslims are peaceful as I assume most christians, hindus and buddhists are peaceful.  We don't want to hear from normal worshippers.  Give us the fundies!  They are way more entertaining, however, also way more detrimental as "representatives".
"If you take a highly intelligent person and give them the best possible, elite education, then you will most likely wind up with an academic who is completely impervious to reality." -Halton Arp

gwyn428

Quote from: "DennisK"The video wasn't working, but I had probably already watched it.  I'm a huge fan of RD.  I think we should be cautious about stereotyping muslims from radical perspectives.  I assume most muslims are peaceful as I assume most christians, hindus and buddhists are peaceful.  We don't want to hear from normal worshippers.  Give us the fundies!  They are way more entertaining, however, also way more detrimental as "representatives".

I've met Muslims nearby who apparently have a liking for Christians. They were peaceful, tolerant, etc... but one of them told me that Hindus think Muslims are lost and don't have the truth. And then I learned that no matter how peaceful and tolerant a monotheist may seem, they are still bad in some way. Besides, it is safe to assume this about most if not all theists who are Abrahamic. I know a very liberal Christian who hates "the religion of Atheism."

Ninteen45

Now I can be re-gognizod!

Ihateyoumike

Quote from: "DennisK"The video wasn't working, but I had probably already watched it.  I'm a huge fan of RD.  I think we should be cautious about stereotyping muslims from radical perspectives.  I assume most muslims are peaceful as I assume most christians, hindus and buddhists are peaceful.  We don't want to hear from normal worshippers.  Give us the fundies!  They are way more entertaining, however, also way more detrimental as "representatives".

Video was taken down to to copyright infringement. What documentary was this video taken from? I would like to hunt it down on the 'net and watch it. Was it by any chance from "The Root of All Evil" (I believe it's called) the BBC 2 part documentary?

Also, as for stereotyping muslims as radicals, just do the math here to figure out why that's not a good idea. It's estimated that 1 billion (1,000,000,000) muslims reside on Earth. For argument's sake, and ease of math, let's say only 1% of those are extremists. That would be 10 Million (10,000,000) extremists with violent tendencies. Enough to make it look to the rest of the world (since extremists get the press) like ALL muslims are extremists. My opinion, definitely not to be taken as fact, is that there are probably even less "fundies" from that religion than that.
Prayers that need no answer now, cause I'm tired of who I am
You were my greatest mistake, I fell in love with your sin
Your littlest sin.