News:

Look, I haven't mentioned Zeus, Buddah, or some religion.

Main Menu

How Long Would You Choose to Live?

Started by PipeBox, October 12, 2008, 04:44:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wazzz

Quote from: "quizlixx"and i want to see how the western civilization will fall and what new civilizationa would replace it. c'mon Greece 2  :D  :blush:
int main()
{
cout<<"Hello World ";
return 0;
}

Will

Quote from: "Steve Reason"So would you go "weeeeee!" with your arms in the air the whole time?  :beer:
I want bad people to look forward to and celebrate the day I die, because if they don't, I'm not living up to my potential.

Whitney

Quote from: "Steve Reason"
Quote from: "laetusatheos"If I could be immorally healthy, both physically and mentally, I think I would not ever reach a point where I was ready to die.

oops  :blush:

wazzz

Quote from: "laetusatheos"Is this under the assumption of good emotional and physical health?  

I'm known, and heard of a lot, of older people who were simply ready to die by the time they reached the late 70s range.  But of those emotional and physical health seemed to be playing a huge role.

If I could be immorally healthy, both physically and mentally, I think I would not ever reach a point where I was ready to die.  If you are ready to die that would mean that life is no longer something to be enjoyed.  If you are not lacking in physical or mental health then there would be no reason to be tired of it all.

If phyiscial and mental health would decline in a normal fashion....I'm not sure I'd want to live much past 100.  And only that long because I'm a bit stubborn.

This is my opinion too
say no more  :cool:  :hail:
int main()
{
cout<<"Hello World ";
return 0;
}

MariaEvri

Quote from: "wazzz"
Quote from: "quizlixx"and i want to see how the western civilization will fall and what new civilizationa would replace it. c'mon Greece 2  :D  :blush:

trust me, the way things are going in greece, that wont happen soon :P
God made me an atheist, who are you to question his wisdom!
www.poseidonsimons.com

Stoicheion

I'm not sure how long i'd choose to live.

The movie Death Becomes Her comes to mind. As soon as people would grow suspicious since i never aged, or aged more slowly, i would have to go into hiding. That would be TONS of pressure on me to make as much money as i could to sustain me. Or i would have to create an illegal drug ring to supply me with a constant stream of good money.

but, putting that aside, i'd like to live a good 250 years. Just to be able to see the difference in technology. I mean just think of those who are 100 years old. They saw technology go from a steam locomotive to the computer i'm using right now. Awesome. I'd like to see how flying cars are made.
[size=85]So why does there only have to be one correct philosophy?
I don't wanna go and follow you just to end up like one of them
And why are you always telling me what you want me to believe?
I'd like to think that I can go my own way and meet you in the end
Go my own way and meet you in the end
"Same Direction" - Hoobastank
[/size]

Steve Reason

Quote from: "laetusatheos"
Quote from: "Steve Reason"
Quote from: "laetusatheos"If I could be immorally healthy, both physically and mentally, I think I would not ever reach a point where I was ready to die.

oops  :D
I do not fear death, in view of the fact that I had been dead for billions and billions of years before I was born, and had not suffered the slightest inconvenience from it. ~ Mark Twain

http://rumtickle.blogspot.com/

Steve Reason

Quote from: "Willravel"
Quote from: "Steve Reason"So would you go "weeeeee!" with your arms in the air the whole time?  :beer:

I do not fear death, in view of the fact that I had been dead for billions and billions of years before I was born, and had not suffered the slightest inconvenience from it. ~ Mark Twain

Steve Reason

Actually I think I'd like to be around for the collision with the Andromeda galaxy. What a show that's gonna be, eh? Although I guess once it got close enough, we might not see much of a difference in the night sky.

Does that sound right?

quizlixx

i was just thinking, why just liv on earth, if your gonna live forever, wait until humanity has intergalactic travel and spend eternity all over. why stop at that, get up to the speed of sound and hurdle yourself to the edge of the universe. :P
"The truth is incontrovertible, malice may attack it, ignorance may deride it, but in the end; there it is."

Asmodean

Quote from: "quizlixx"i was just thinking, why just liv on earth, if your gonna live forever, wait until humanity has intergalactic travel and spend eternity all over. why stop at that, get up to the speed of sound and hurdle yourself to the edge of the universe. :P
...So you are optimistic about humanity EVER having efficient means of intergalactic travel? Or for that matter an efficient way to travel within this galaxy?
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.

Improbable

It depends....

If atleast most of the conditions were favourable - for eternity - I'd want to live forever.

If they weren't it would be  very very very hard to put a number on how long...I would have NO idea...too many variables...

But like I said if atleast most of the conditions were favourable - for eternity - I'd want to live forever. Not sure if that's a number...

And I don't mean 99% of the conditons being favorable but then possibly 1% being unbearable...I mean if atleast MOST of the conditons being favourable, then the rest being atleast bearable - to be more specific.

P.S: Go CuriosityNdaCat! Red Dwarf totally rules! I have the first four series...I'm hoping to get the next four asap!
'Faith is the great cop-out, the great excuse to evade the need to think and evaluate evidence. Faith is belief in spite of, even perhaps because of, the lack of evidence.' - Richard Dawkins.
   'We are all atheists about most of the gods that humanity has ever believed in. Some of us just go one god further.' - Richard Dawkins.

curiosityandthecat

Quote from: "Improbable"P.S: Go CuriosityNdaCat! Red Dwarf totally rules! I have the first four series...I'm hoping to get the next four asap!

I just completed my collection and I'm downright smegging giddy. :)
-Curio

quizlixx

Quote from: "Asmodean"
Quote from: "quizlixx"i was just thinking, why just liv on earth, if your gonna live forever, wait until humanity has intergalactic travel and spend eternity all over. why stop at that, get up to the speed of sound and hurdle yourself to the edge of the universe. :P
...So you are optimistic about humanity EVER having efficient means of intergalactic travel? Or for that matter an efficient way to travel within this galaxy?
why not.
"The truth is incontrovertible, malice may attack it, ignorance may deride it, but in the end; there it is."

Tanker

I saw a movie a couple years back where a man was moving on from his job and life, because he lived forever. He made a practise of moving on every 10 years or so when others realised he wasent aging. This group he decided to come out to were all college proffesors being an intelligent group they proceeded to prod and question him. It was a good movie, very low budget, but really thought provoking on what it is to be human. I for the life of me can't remember the title. For me anyway I'd live forever all I'd see, and learn, and do. An eternity of knowlege to receive and change to observe. Thats the only thing I envy religin the eternity they think they receive.
"I'd rather die the go to heaven" - William Murderface Murderface  Murderface-

I've been in fox holes, I'm still an atheist -Me-

God is a cake, and we all know what the cake is.

(my spelling, grammer, and punctuation suck, I know, but regardless of how much I read they haven't improved much since grade school. It's actually a bit of a family joke.