News:

In case of downtime/other tech emergencies, you can relatively quickly get in touch with Asmodean Prime by email.

Main Menu

How Long Would You Choose to Live?

Started by PipeBox, October 12, 2008, 04:44:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MariaEvri

This is a tricky question for me. I would hate to live forever for reasons above: seeing all my loved ones and family die and all that. On the other hand, Im such a wussy that I cant just say that "I want to die this day". So maybe I would write down lotsa years on small papers and randomly pull one form a hat.
God made me an atheist, who are you to question his wisdom!
www.poseidonsimons.com

McQ

Well, not counting the 450,061 years I've already lived, I'd say around 70,000 - 80,000 ought to do it.

Ok, so it just feels like I've lived that long sometimes, especially when I run out of ibuprofen.
Really, I think that 120 healthy years is about right, as long as my offspring could share in the longevity. I wouldn't want to outlive them.
Elvis didn't do no drugs!
--Penn Jillette

Asmodean

Quote from: "McQ"I think that 120 healthy years is about right, as long as my offspring could share in the longevity. I wouldn't want to outlive them.
I likes my solution to this particular problem: I don't have offspring  :D
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.

Whitney

Is this under the assumption of good emotional and physical health?  

I'm known, and heard of a lot, of older people who were simply ready to die by the time they reached the late 70s range.  But of those emotional and physical health seemed to be playing a huge role.

If I could be immorally healthy, both physically and mentally, I think I would not ever reach a point where I was ready to die.  If you are ready to die that would mean that life is no longer something to be enjoyed.  If you are not lacking in physical or mental health then there would be no reason to be tired of it all.

If phyiscial and mental health would decline in a normal fashion....I'm not sure I'd want to live much past 100.  And only that long because I'm a bit stubborn.

Mister Joy

I'd want to live forever, provided that eternity was in a constant state of flux and adaption, always holding new things to be seen, learned and experienced, both the good and the bad. I'd hate to see my friends and relatives die but it would constitute as part of an ongoing tapestry with ups and downs. I'd say that grief and happiness are both temporary, so amongst such a cornucopious array of experiences, even the loss of loved ones would seem insignificant.

Also, I agree with Monkey Ninja, knowing that I was going to live forever in such circumstances would be very liberating and empowering. I wouldn't need to worry about the arrow of time when planning ahead and because of that it would be possible to achieve some truly astonishing things. For instance, I could spend two hundred years or so writing the perfect novel. I could then devote a millenium or two to finding cures for various deseases. The fact that I know next to nothing about medicine doesn't matter; I'd just spend a prior century in study, gathering contacts and initiating myself in the medical world. It would be less than nothing to me.

Of course, in order to live in a constant state of development and change, the Earth and universe around it would need to have an eternal lifespan as well. :) It also assumes that the human mind has an infinite capacity for knowledge, which is massively ingenuous, but, if there was a way to make such an abstractly hypothetical concept a reality, I'd definitely go for it without hesitation.

Ninja Donkey

Quote from: "Mister Joy"Also, I agree with Monkey Ninja
I take it I'm Monkey Ninja?
"Don't you know there ain't no devil, it's just god when he's drunk" - Tom Waits

curiosityandthecat

-Curio

Sophus

As long as I can handle it. If I am sick and old I think I would rather be dead.
‎"Christian doesn't necessarily just mean good. It just means better." - John Oliver

Ninja Donkey

the monkey ninja does look rather bad-ass...
"Don't you know there ain't no devil, it's just god when he's drunk" - Tom Waits

Mister Joy

Well, as a tragic consequence of traumatic childhood events, I inseparably associate ninjas with monkeys. :hail:

Ninja Donkey

I understand your plight, which is why it is my commitment as a Ninja Donkey to eliminate the threat of nefarious Ninja Monkeys

jrosebud

Could I get the added feature of being able to change bodies?

If you were to ask me what my heaven would look like (if I were to ever wish for one), I would want to live as many different lives as possible, forever experiencing and creating from different perspectives.  If I could do that, I'd want to be immortal.  I suppose it wouldn't matter if I remembered my past lives (though I wouldn't be opposed to some sort of ultimate integrated hub), as everything is connected, and my former existences would influence those of the future.

Or I'd take as much time as I could get in this body of mine, as long as I'm healthy and somewhat sane.
"Every post you can hitch your faith on
Is a pie in the sky,
Chock full of lies,
A tool we devise
To make sinking stones fly."

~from A Comet Apears by The Shins

Will

I'd like to live about 226,000,000 years, or one full orbit of our sun around the center of the Milky Way.
I want bad people to look forward to and celebrate the day I die, because if they don't, I'm not living up to my potential.

Steve Reason

Quote from: "laetusatheos"If I could be immorally healthy, both physically and mentally, I think I would not ever reach a point where I was ready to die.

I do not fear death, in view of the fact that I had been dead for billions and billions of years before I was born, and had not suffered the slightest inconvenience from it. ~ Mark Twain

http://rumtickle.blogspot.com/

Steve Reason

Quote from: "Willravel"I'd like to live about 226,000,000 years, or one full orbit of our sun around the center of the Milky Way.

So would you go "weeeeee!" with your arms in the air the whole time?  :D
I do not fear death, in view of the fact that I had been dead for billions and billions of years before I was born, and had not suffered the slightest inconvenience from it. ~ Mark Twain

http://rumtickle.blogspot.com/