News:

Unnecessarily argumentative

Main Menu

sick of sides?

Started by tacoma_kyle, September 24, 2008, 08:25:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tacoma_kyle

After the past few years of not believing in god, I have really started to get tired of chatting about it. Never did that much, but thinking about it is a frequent thing.

When on the topic of religion, always my views, someone tries to counter them....re-explaining the same bullshit we've all read or wrote on the internet gets real fuckin boring; hearing the same bull shit is even more boring. Hence why I am pretty intermittent here.

Unlike real science, there is absolutely nothing new about religion.

Now dont get me wrong, the less religion the better. But shit there is so much more I could do with my time rather than argue or write on the net about it. I am not trying to say its bad, fuck I've tried online dating lol. Yeah... :raised:

Anyhow, anyone feel the same? Opposite, middle?
Me, my projects and random pictures, haha.

http://s116.photobucket.com/albums/o22/tacoma_kyle/

"Tom you gotta come out of the closet, oh my gawd!" lol

jrosebud

I feel like that often, too.

But then I think about the state of the world.  Even though my discussion on the internet might not change many minds, apathy does absolutely nothing.  At least I'll die trying?

It comes and goes in cycles.
"Every post you can hitch your faith on
Is a pie in the sky,
Chock full of lies,
A tool we devise
To make sinking stones fly."

~from A Comet Apears by The Shins

Jolly Sapper

I'd have to agree with ya' Kyle

rlrose328

Quote from: "jrosebud"I feel like that often, too.

But then I think about the state of the world.  Even though my discussion on the internet might not change many minds, apathy does absolutely nothing.  At least I'll die trying?

It comes and goes in cycles.

I could have written this... I often feel like I just TALK about it too much and, though I have gotten involved in a few local events, it's just too tiring to keep talking and talking and talking and talking, ad nauseum.   :rant:

ANd yes, it comes and goes... sometimes, I take a break for a few weeks to regain my sense of priority, then I climb back on the horse and ride.   :beer:
**Kerri**
The Rogue Atheist Scrapbooker
Come visit me on Facebook!

Asmodean

I have it all honed to autopilot.

But overall, I agree with you, Kyle.
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.

tacoma_kyle

I dont fully agree with the statement 'apathy does nothing.' I do see the point it is very valid.

One thing that I feel is over expressed is the indication that people hear things, they may believe them. Just cause the there are 18 churches spewing their 'words of wisdom' and other folks going door to door, doesnt mean they are being listened to and appreciated.

You have all heard the statement 'actions speak louder than words.' It is obviously not 100% or even near, but people do take notice to differences weather or not they are advertised or even very apparent. Yeah everyone knows that, but it doesnt always cross their minds.

Now for my deep metaphorical statement:

Silence isn't left unheard.

Is that even a metaphor?

I am not arguing anything really; just saying fuck sides it is all irrelevant. I know what can be experienced and if there wasnt 'beliefs,' there wouldn't be counter 'beliefs.' My present goal is to  not care; act as I would if all this bull shit was non existent. Be me and think about that which pertains to life. (<----I think I am going to tattoo that on my ass)
Me, my projects and random pictures, haha.

http://s116.photobucket.com/albums/o22/tacoma_kyle/

"Tom you gotta come out of the closet, oh my gawd!" lol

LARA

I think it would be nice to that initial state of unknowing that I had as a kid when I just saw the world for what it was and didn't have to care about someone else's viewpoint.  Sometimes I do, but then an in-law has to try to convince me of the unerring truth of the holy Wurd, or I drive down the highway plastered with church signs attacking me with their festering version of unreality and I'm forced to take refuge in science, atheism or my own slap-happy version of American cargo-cult Buddhism.

I suppose though in some ways I find religion fascinating as long as it remains a spectator sport.  The various mistaken takes on reality by humans is a fascinating exercise in the observation of abnormal psychology, though if one were to try to calculate a median of normalcy, they'd quickly be operating under the assumption that most of the world is effing nuts.

And I imagine as time goes on, new technology will yield even greater dimensions of stupidity, fear and therefore religions as humans try to makes sense out of a world that doesn't play by our desires or even care to.
Freedom is the freedom to say that two plus two make four. If that is granted, all else follows.
                                                                                                                    -Winston Smith, protagonist of 1984 by George Orwell

Kyuuketsuki

Quote from: "tacoma_kyle"Anyhow, anyone feel the same? Opposite, middle?

I agree ... also with the comments that apathy equals acquiescence and I have to admit that is the mode I have been in since my campaign collapsed :(

Kyu
James C. Rocks: UK Tech Portal & Science, Just Science

[size=150]Not Long For This Forum [/size]

Mister Joy

I ken exactly what ye mean thar, Kyle.

Initially, I'd say it's good to have a bit of experience in theistic debates just so that when you run into a Christian evangelist you don't get in out of your depth. Probably not so important if you've encountered them thick and fast for your entire life because you'll already know exactly how to deal with them but for someone like me, who only rarely gets confronted by religious nutters, forums like this are very useful for research purposes and for meeting a whole range of new, interesting disembodied opinions such as your good selves.

That quickly gets old, though. It doesn't really take long to learn and understand all of the main arguments for and against God and from there on it's just repetition and re-wording, as you say. That's why I'm not here that much any more, to be honest. I just pop in for a read every now and again. If I see something I disagree with, I'll contemplate replying for a bit. Then it'll occur to me that I only disagree slightly and it's an issue that I care very little about anyway, so I don't bother. I'm only responding to this because I'm an idle git and it's a welcome destraction from work. Although that, in itself, is possibly the most vital thing I can say for online theological debate, really. I bet my entire collection of Pokemon cards (biiatch) that this forum has served that exact purpose, to the highest order, for most of you, on multiple occasions. ;)