News:

There is also the shroud of turin, which verifies Jesus in a new way than other evidences.

Main Menu

Big Bang is bad for health... Apparently.

Started by Asmodean, September 12, 2008, 06:04:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Asmodean

Girl commits suicide due to big bang fear

Indore, Sep 10 : Scared over media speculations on the Large Hadron Collider experiment now in progress in Geneva, an 16-year-old village girl committed suicide by consuming poisonous substance at her residence near Indore in Madhya Pradesh.

Farmer Biharilal's illetrate daughter Chhaya, resident of Asharita village in this district's Sarangpur area, yesterday watched a television programme at her neighbour's house about the negative impact the experiment may likely to throw up.

Traumatised over the doomsayers' apprehensions the girl consumed 'salphas' -- a pesticide -- at 1600 hrs on Tuesday.

She was immediately rushed to the government Maharaja Yashwantrao Hospital where she breathed her last this morning.

For the last few days electronic media churned out stories which fanned fears of doom once the experiment started.

Scientists at the European Organisation for Nuclear Research (CERN) started up a huge particle-smashing machine today, aiming to re-enact the conditions of the ''Big Bang'' that created the universe.

The experiment started at 100 m below earth at a laboratory at Swiss-French border in 27-km circular tunnel.

Doomsday writers have also fanned fears that the experiment could create anti-matter, or black holes, spurring unprecedented public interest in particle physics ahead of the machine's start-up. CERN has insisted that such concerns are unfounded.

--- UNI

Copyright notice: this article is the property of The United News of India
Source

Mod notice: Please move this thing to News forum. The Fluâ,,¢ made me post in the wrong section  :|
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.

curiosityandthecat

I want to illustrate what just happened to my brain after reading that article.

-Curio

Tom62

My wife worked for CERN when the project to build the LHC started. She was convinced that CERN had already created a huge black hole there, because millions and millions of tax payers money disappeared in it. CERN and other high physic labs are in the lucky position that no-one knows shit about what they are doing. CERN was constantly reinventing the wheel. They didn't trust commercial off the shelf software, so they rolled their own. Anti virus programs, word processors, editors, compilers, internet browsers, you name it and CERN developed it. Sometimes they found out that two different teams developed the same product . My wife clearly remembered how she was asked in a manager meeting whether two anti-virus programs could not be merged together. She answered that question with "You mean that the teams should put all their source code in one file and then sort the file by line number?" and then got the reply "Yes, that should work doesn't it?" (no joke). You had also an entire department that didn't do a bloody thing other than working on Linux development. The department manager was not aware of it, until he visited a Linux conference and was congratulated there for the fact that his department had done such a good job on the latest Linux GUI development.
The universe never did make sense; I suspect it was built on government contract.
Robert A. Heinlein

Jolly Sapper

HEHE... nothing provides job security like a Federal job...

Asmodean

Why can't I have an on-demand black hole that sucks the cash in 100 meters radius right into my wallet!?  :beer:
In Asmo's grey lump,
Luxembourg trembles.

Squid

...and people have told me that science literacy isn't important... :brick:

Asmodean

Quote from: "Squid"...and people have told me that science literacy isn't important... :cool:
In Asmo's grey lump,
Luxembourg trembles.

Graham

Didn't the computers at the LHC get hacked into the other day? I wonder why.