News:

In case of downtime/other tech emergencies, you can relatively quickly get in touch with Asmodean Prime by email.

Main Menu

What's up!?

Started by Belos, September 03, 2008, 01:30:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Belos

Hello everyone! I'm new here, although that pretty much goes without saying. As a brief intro, I'm 22 and currently working as a stuructural mechanic for fighter jets in the Navy, though with hopes of getting out and heading to college within the next year to study environmental science and biology.

I guess I was lucky in that my parents, while Christian, were not into church or the bible much, so I thankfully grew up as more of a free thinker, though I did try various religions particularly through one good friend and her family. I really haven't thought much about religion since nor really put any importance on it until this last spring when I met up with my friend's mother again (she alone in the that family believes it's her swore duty to "save" each and every soul on the planet) and got into a quite extensive debate about it. Because I really didn't have much knowledge about Christianity, she pretty much "won" the agrument (I guess I always thought that there were so many more important things to spend time thinking about rather than waste what time I had on something so meaningless, to me anyway) and then asked me to make more of an effort to read the Bible "for the sake of my soul." I did take her up on that, though not so much for my soul, and now am throughly confused, frustrated, fasinated and somewhat obessed about not so much the religion, but instead what in the human psyche drives people to distort their entire lives for the sake of the fantasy and denial of the realities of life.

Either way, I've become much more "perseptive" to matters about religion and when even the horse training boards that I post on were being overrun with loud and quite rude fundamentalists, I thought I'd seek a safe haven where logic and reason still rule the day, so thank you all for allowing me on!

Jolly Sapper

Hello there Navy, how's the weather?

MommaSquid

Quote from: "belos"...and then asked me to make more of an effort to read the Bible "for the sake of my soul." I did take her up on that, though not so much for my soul, and now am throughly confused, frustrated, fasinated and somewhat obessed about not so much the religion, but instead what in the human psyche drives people to distort their entire lives for the sake of the fantasy and denial of the realities of life.

The bible is an atheists best weapon.  Well, that and a logical mind.  Try this bible...

http://www.skepticsannotatedbible.com

Welcome to the forum, belos.

McQ

Welcome to the forum, and thanks for the introduction. You'll get plenty of information here, as well as find some people in similar situations.
Elvis didn't do no drugs!
--Penn Jillette

Whitney

Hi Belos, welcome to the forum.

curiosityandthecat

Yes, logic and reason rule... VIT UND IRON FIST!

...ahem, welcome. :)
-Curio

rlrose328

**Kerri**
The Rogue Atheist Scrapbooker
Come visit me on Facebook!

Squid

quizlixx

"The truth is incontrovertible, malice may attack it, ignorance may deride it, but in the end; there it is."

SteveS

Wow, from
Quote from: "Belos"currently working as a stuructural mechanic for fighter jets in the Navy
to
Quote from: "Belos"environmental science and biology
seems like a heck of a gear-shift!  Sounds fun.  Best of luck, and welcome to the board!