News:

Nitpicky? Hell yes.

Main Menu

told my parents I'm an atheist

Started by quizlixx, September 02, 2008, 02:21:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

quizlixx

so i finally told my parents I'm an atheist. thanks to everybody on the forum and other atheistic websites, i knew what to expect. they went through the normal cycle of shock, disbelief, denial, questioning, semi-acceptance. all in all they were pretty cool about it. my grandmother (who is really cool) was really understanding and said she would support my decision as long as i keep an open mind. my dad was really cool about it, he pretty much accepted it. my mom, however, was doing that whole self pity thing where it's her fault and she failed to raise me as a child for a little while, but then she calmed down. I think they think that there is still "hope" for me becoming theistic again, but i didn't have the heart to tell them there isn't. i know that sounds terrible closed minded, but there isn't. i think they think I'm just going through a phase. but i feel as if a burden has been lifted off my shoulders. they said i can't be a part of christmas or get gifts, i said that was cool, but i am still going to get them gifts. but seriously, thanks guys, every question they had, i had an answer to. i was able to explain my conclusion as well as i did because of your help. :D  :D  :D  :D  :D  :D  :D  :D  :D  :D  :D  :D  :D  :D  :D  :D  :D
"The truth is incontrovertible, malice may attack it, ignorance may deride it, but in the end; there it is."

curiosityandthecat

-Curio

quizlixx

Quote from: "curiosityandthecat"
that's awesome
"The truth is incontrovertible, malice may attack it, ignorance may deride it, but in the end; there it is."

Jolly Sapper

hehe.. so long as you've never actually watched Citizen Kane, then that scene has a whole different meaning..

:devil:

quizlixx

Quote from: "Jolly Sapper"hehe.. so long as you've never actually watched Citizen Kane, then that scene has a whole different meaning..

:devil:
nope, never seen it

Whitney

Congrats.

That is bs about them automatically excluding you from the christmas celebrations...what an odd thing to bring up.  :raised:   I guess it just seems odd to me since christmas is basically a secular family holiday in my family.

quizlixx

Quote from: "laetusatheos"Congrats.

That is bs about them automatically excluding you from the christmas celebrations...what an odd thing to bring up.  :raised:   I guess it just seems odd to me since christmas is basically a secular family holiday in my family.
i know, it's  the same thing with my family too. just a big family gathering.

Msblue

Quote from: "quizlixx"
Quote from: "laetusatheos"Congrats.

i know, it's  the same thing with my family too. just a big family gathering.

The Christmas gifts might of been a bargaining chip. That reminds me of this.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3mcOIyf9TOQ

Asmodean

That's nice, lixx. One less lie to live - nothing bad about that  :)

A very good way of handling that whole christmas thing too.

Two thumbs up.
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.

Asmodean

Quote from: "Msblue"The Christmas gifts might of been a bargaining chip.

Uh... People can buy their own damned socks and sweaters, so some bargaining chip... I wonder if that is one of those things used in desperation by people who do realise that it's nowhere near a good bargaining point, or if they really think that everyone else is shallow enough to sell who they are for a (usually small) gift or three..?
In Asmo's grey lump,
Luxembourg trembles.

quizlixx

Quote from: "Asmodean"
Quote from: "Msblue"The Christmas gifts might of been a bargaining chip.

Uh... People can buy their own damned socks and sweaters, so some bargaining chip... I wonder if that is one of those things used in desperation by people who do realise that it's nowhere near a good bargaining point, or if they really think that everyone else is shallow enough to sell who they are for a (usually small) gift or three..?
i dunno, i would try it too. if i thought there was a slim chance of working. wouldn't you?

curiosityandthecat

I'd buy them even more and better presents than last year, just to prove a point: you may want to count me out, but I still love you and consider this a family holiday, so here are your presents, bitches.

Well, I'd leave out the "bitches" part, but you get my meaning.
-Curio

Asmodean

Quote from: "curiosityandthecat"I'd buy them even more and better presents than last year, just to prove a point: you may want to count me out, but I still love you and consider this a family holiday, so here are your presents, bitches.

Well, I'd leave out the "bitches" part, but you get my meaning.
I'd write "bitches" in fine print on them little cards that people hook up to gifts to put the name on.  :cool: If I really wanted to turn asshole on someone, I'd kick them out of the house - unless of course it was their house. :D
In Asmo's grey lump,
Luxembourg trembles.

Graham

I celebrate the winter solstice for Christmas and the spring equinox for Easter then I have two more extra holidays the fall equinox and summer solstice. That's great that you told your parents. I'll probably never tell mine.

Whitney

Quote from: "quizlixx"i dunno, i would try it too. if i thought there was a slim chance of working. wouldn't you?

I had a friend who was told (when she was old enough that it would be normal to know better) that she had to believe in Santa in order to get her Christmas presents.  Even her older brother (who was in college at the time) was required to follow this same rule.  For some reason, to the mother, her thinking her children believe in Santa was important enough to encourage them to say they believed even if they didn't.  I would guess it was because not believing in Santa is a sign that your kids are getting older and no longer are going to believe everything you tell them.

Maybe your mom associates your leaving Christianity behind, not just with concern for your soul, but also with the realization that you aren't her little baby anymore (even though not matter how old you get you will be their little baby).