News:

Departing the Vacuousness

Main Menu

the saddest video ever

Started by quizlixx, September 01, 2008, 08:14:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

quizlixx

this is the saddest thing i have ever seen. if you aren't crying by the end, you have no heart. http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=re ... EIccwCxAI4
"The truth is incontrovertible, malice may attack it, ignorance may deride it, but in the end; there it is."

curiosityandthecat

From a composition standpoint, that video wasn't too great. Touching, yes. Saddest? I don't think so.

It also fails to include the saddest photo ever taken:

(Spoiler tag because it's hard to look at.)[spoiler:2xoc0bbl][/spoiler:2xoc0bbl]
The man who took the photo, Kevin Carter, actually committed suicide; the horrors and sadness he'd seen were too much for him.

Also, the book Inferno by James Nachteway, the world's preeminent war photographer, could likely take the cake for saddest and most disturbing content.

Here's a speech he gave accepting the 2007 TED award. It contains a slide show of some of the images featured in Inferno. It is not for the weak.

[youtube:2xoc0bbl]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AGKZhNK_pHw[/youtube:2xoc0bbl]

Thanks for sharing that, but it hardly ranks as the saddest ever.

Boy, what does it say about me that I readily have all this information?  :eek:
-Curio

McQ

Elvis didn't do no drugs!
--Penn Jillette

curiosityandthecat

Quote from: "McQ"Easy, now, curio!  ;)

I was referring more to the title of the video, "Possibly the saddest video in the world", not to his opinion.  :D
-Curio

McQ

Quote from: "curiosityandthecat"
Quote from: "McQ"Easy, now, curio!  ;)

I was referring more to the title of the video, "Possibly the saddest video in the world", not to his opinion.  :D

Thanks for clarifying what you meant, curio. And I agree with your commendation of quizlixx (as well as our other younger members) for having the intelligence and guts to live their lives honestly. My comment on his age was not a put-down of him vis a vis his age, but an acknowledgment that he has a lot more horror yet to see, unfortunately.

I'm also hoping that because of people like him, we will do nothing less than change the world for the better, and be able to see more of the wonders.

(jeez, sounds like I'm running for office!)

By the way, back on topic....thanks for sharing all those items, guys. They are indeed sad, poignant, and eye-opening. I've seen a bit of Nachtwey's stuff before. It is so powerful. Has anyone read "Inferno"?
Elvis didn't do no drugs!
--Penn Jillette

curiosityandthecat

Quote from: "McQ"(jeez, sounds like I'm running for office!)
Hey, I'd vote for ya!  ;)
-Curio

quizlixx

saying that this is the saddest thing i have ever seen was probably not the right way to put it in retrospect. what i should have said was, "The saddest video i have ever seen because my dog died yesterday", and the one of the guy who finds the stray and he takes him home and the dog dies hit me really hard. so in conclusion this is not the saddest thing i have ever seen, but factoring in circumstance, i think it's alright.

I would  totally vote for you McQ. :D
"The truth is incontrovertible, malice may attack it, ignorance may deride it, but in the end; there it is."

Asmodean

Quote from: "quizlixx"if you aren't crying by the end, you have no heart.
Asmodean is as of now officially heartless.  :hide:
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.

Msblue

Quote from: "quizlixx"saying that this is the saddest thing i have ever seen was probably not the right way to put it in retrospect. what i should have said was, "The saddest video i have ever seen because my dog died yesterday", and the one of the guy who finds the stray and he takes him home and the dog dies hit me really hard. so in conclusion this is not the saddest thing i have ever seen, but factoring in circumstance, i think it's alright.

I would  totally vote for you McQ. :D

I'm sorry Quiz. My cat is dying, I really do know how you feel.

Another vote for McQ from me!

curiosityandthecat

Quote from: "quizlixx"saying that this is the saddest thing i have ever seen was probably not the right way to put it in retrospect. what i should have said was, "The saddest video i have ever seen because my dog died yesterday", and the one of the guy who finds the stray and he takes him home and the dog dies hit me really hard. so in conclusion this is not the saddest thing i have ever seen, but factoring in circumstance, i think it's alright.

Sorry to hear that, Quiz. I remember after my father died I heard Piano Man on the radio and now, to this day, I still can't hear that damn harmonica without nearly breaking down. Hope you're doing all right.

Remember you've got a pretty good sized support group here; anything we can do, we do.
-Curio