News:

The default theme for this site has been updated. For further information, please take a look at the announcement regarding HAF changing its default theme.

Main Menu

The Principal's Office

Started by EvolutionCalling, August 29, 2008, 02:12:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

EvolutionCalling

This seems like a really bad idea.  I just happened to be surfing earlier and found it.  Wow, I'm curious how these principals can honestly think that having a reality TV show on their campus is a good idea.

http://www.trutv.com/shows/principals_office/

quizlixx

hey, that can only help to televise what a broken education system we have.
"The truth is incontrovertible, malice may attack it, ignorance may deride it, but in the end; there it is."

Whitney

That's a really bad idea...the kids who act out to get attention just got an even better reason to do so.

Benoît Bôls

There are two things wrong with reality TV: reality and TV.
"Nothing frightens me more than religion at my door."
- John Cale

Asmodean

You know what this Asmodean's mind can not quite grasp? The popularity of reality shows. It seems to me like whatever senseless crap you make, as long as it qualifies as "Reality TV", thousands and thousands and tens of thousands will watch it.

:rant:
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.

Faithless

I hate reality TV.  It is designed not only to bring out the absolute worst and ugliness in people, but to celebrate it.  If my kids were in a school that was allowing that, I'd have an army of lawyers breathing down their neck.

I'm shocked and at the same time not surprised.  What's next, Kindergarten Survivor?
"In order to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe." - Carl Sagan

"It ain't those parts of the Bible that I can't understand that bother me, it is the parts that I do understand." - Mark Twain

Msblue

Quote from: "Faithless"I'm shocked and at the same time not surprised.  What's next, Kindergarten Survivor?

Reality TV is the worst! Kid Nation came fairly close to Survivor.
http://www.cbs.com/primetime/kid_nation/shows/ep1/

Jolly Sapper

I wonder how much money the school district is going to get for going along with this?

Whitney

Quote from: "Jolly Sapper"I wonder how much money the school district is going to get for going along with this?

I would hope that it is enough to send all current students to college....but we all know that even if it was enough they'd just waste it on football.

rlrose328

Love the strip!  IT's frightening how accurate that is.  A science teacher in Salem OR is currently fighting having ID in her classroom and is getting little to no support from the District.  In fact, the head of the school board and two other members support having ID in the classroom.  UGH!

RE: Reality TV... I guess I'm the odd man out because there are a few reality shows I like... GIVEN that I know that they are very far from reality and are scripted and edited to manipulate the audience.  Nevertheless, I enjoy them for the entertainment value they provide.  Project Runway, Top Chef, American Idol, Last Restaurant Standing and Dragon's Den (both BBC) are my favorites.  

I have NEVER watched Survivor or Big Brother... I really detest those shows.  I don't care for any of the competition shows where people get catty and mean (The Apprentice is another one).  And I didn't watch the one with the kids... that was horrible, though with the camera crew around, there was no shortage of adults there in case something really bad happened.
**Kerri**
The Rogue Atheist Scrapbooker
Come visit me on Facebook!

myleviathan

Quote from: "Faithless"What's next, Kindergarten Survivor?

I think they did that with 'Kid Nation' on CBS

[spoiler:1mt77xjw]http://www.cbs.com/primetime/kid_nation/[/spoiler:1mt77xjw]

Regarding reality shows, everyone has to keep in mind that 1 out of 4 people are retarted (higher rates in the US).
"On the moon our weekends are so far advanced they encompass the entire week. Jobs have been phased out. We get checks from the government, and we spend it on beer! Mexican beer! That's the cheapest of all beers." --- Ignignokt & Err

quizlixx

"The truth is incontrovertible, malice may attack it, ignorance may deride it, but in the end; there it is."

Kylyssa

I watch TV to ESCAPE reality.  I have enough reality already.  

Let me clarify - I love non-fiction TV like science programs, biographies, history specials, and crime shows.  However, it's this greasy trash underbelly contrived "reality" programming that bothers the hell out of me.  If you want to hear a long, pissed off tirade, ask me how I feel about "Bum Hunter" and "Bum Fight" sometime.

tmd

Remember, everyone, since it's on TruTV it's Actuality, not Reality. Heh.

It looks terrible though, sounds even more lame than their show Speeders. Forensic Files is awesome though, don't talk shit about Forensic Files.