News:

if there were no need for 'engineers from the quantum plenum' then we should not have any unanswered scientific questions.

Main Menu

Collective thoughts! I need your help.

Started by EvolutionCalling, August 17, 2008, 07:00:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Will

Quote from: "EvolutionCalling"Are you over there stirring up trouble?   :D  Rationalist, I'm guessing?
Not trouble, I just joined and was vocal about my opinions. I'll admit that my (ironic) savior complex kicked in when I learned that a fellow happy atheist was mistreated, but I didn't go over there with an agenda or anything, I just wanted to see what was going on.

When I first joined, I got slapped in the face with what you were talking about. My particular beliefs about undocumented guest workersâ€"that they're not a threat to anyone, bring with them a rich culture, and that work for a low wage which allows certain businesses to stay afloat in a competitive marketâ€"weren't popular at all. I got all sorts of unpopular points (BTW, that's a horrible system to have in place, and only reinforces the ego stroking). Still, I stuck to my convictions and apparently said some things that a lot of people liked. I managed to get respect for my pro-choice beliefs by people who are serious pro-lifers.

Things seem a bit more rational over there now.
I want bad people to look forward to and celebrate the day I die, because if they don't, I'm not living up to my potential.

curiosityandthecat

Quote from: "Willravel"
Quote from: "EvolutionCalling"Are you over there stirring up trouble?   :D  Rationalist, I'm guessing?
Not trouble, I just joined and was vocal about my opinions. I'll admit that my (ironic) savior complex kicked in when I learned that a fellow happy atheist was mistreated, but I didn't go over there with an agenda or anything, I just wanted to see what was going on.

When I first joined, I got slapped in the face with what you were talking about. My particular beliefs about undocumented guest workersâ€"that they're not a threat to anyone, bring with them a rich culture, and that work for a low wage which allows certain businesses to stay afloat in a competitive marketâ€"weren't popular at all. I got all sorts of unpopular points (BTW, that's a horrible system to have in place, and only reinforces the ego stroking). Still, I stuck to my convictions and apparently said some things that a lot of people liked. I managed to get respect for my pro-choice beliefs by people who are serious pro-lifers.

Things seem a bit more rational over there now.

That calls for one of my sexy parties!

-Curio

EvolutionCalling

I'm keeping up with you over there Will, I just don't have the patience to jump in.  You're doing a marvelous job though.  I love that the instant one of those Neanderthals realizes they've lost the debate they more or less stick their fat fingers in their ears and start singing, "Nah, nah, nah, nah, nah.  I can't hear you."  I can almost hear the redneck accents.

Will

The funny thing is that there are less than a dozen "problem people". Everyone else is either a follower or is secretly tired of all the crap. It's an interesting dynamic, but there are still major imbalances over all. Breaking groupthink is never an easy task.

I've decided to wait until I have a stronger footing before addressing atheism on the site. So far I'm just a liberal. If you're going to come back, let me know. If I hold the door for you some member are less likely to try and attack you.
I want bad people to look forward to and celebrate the day I die, because if they don't, I'm not living up to my potential.

EvolutionCalling

I couldn't stand it, I jumped back in right after posting this.  Funny thing is, my very first post I got hit with a bunch of negative reputations because I stood up for you.  Ha.  Yeah, there are only a few problem children, the main one has been suspended before too.  They keep claiming we are on the defensive now, but they have no substance and are simply trolling now.

afreethinker30

There is no point in "debating" with people.Honestly what does it do? People will never agree on well much of anything.So basically it's the same as talking to a wall.

Jolly Sapper

Quote from: "afreethinker30"There is no point in "debating" with people.Honestly what does it do? People will never agree on well much of anything.So basically it's the same as talking to a wall.

That is one way to think about it.  Another way to view "debating with a wall" is to hone your ability to state your message, exercise your mind and observational skills, show others who may share the same views but not be able to voice their opinion that they are not alone.  Its a way to refine how you would communicate your opinion/views and see how others respond.  

Sometimes when debating somebody it turns out that they aren't the person it seemed they were at the beginning of the debate.  I've been surprised at the opinions and reactions of theists (or conservatives, free market advocates, or who ever I happen to be talking to).  

It can seem pointless, and certainly is thankless, but at the same time this constant conversation that seems to go nowhere is how ideas survive and evolve with changes in the mental environment.

Will

Quote from: "EvolutionCalling"I couldn't stand it, I jumped back in right after posting this.  Funny thing is, my very first post I got hit with a bunch of negative reputations because I stood up for you.  Ha.  Yeah, there are only a few problem children, the main one has been suspended before too.  They keep claiming we are on the defensive now, but they have no substance and are simply trolling now.
Wait, which are you?

EvolutionCalling