News:

Unnecessarily argumentative

Main Menu

need some serious help

Started by quizlixx, August 09, 2008, 04:51:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

quizlixx

ok, i really want to tell my parents i'm an atheist, but i just can't seem to find a good time. when we are all together, it's relatively pleasant. There is some discussion of how the day went, friendly conversation and whatnot. and i just don't feel like killing the mood. right now they don't know i'm a full fledged atheist. they just think i don't like saying prayers or going to church. and even that took about a year for my family to accept. my mom still says that she feels like a failure as a parent as things are now, i can't imagine what she would feel like if i told her i completely rejected her religion. i just can't even imagine a worse kind of hell than to think that your child is going to burn for all eternity because you didn't raise him right, you know. But on the other hand, it's draining me of all my energy and practically killing me having to hold this all up inside and bite my tongue every time the topic of religion comes up. i fell like i'm going to explode if i don't tell them. someone please help me out here.
"The truth is incontrovertible, malice may attack it, ignorance may deride it, but in the end; there it is."

rlrose328

I don't recall how old you are... I'm 45 and it's still an issue with my very religious Catholic mom who was born and raised Lutheran (Dad was raised Baptist... he passed away before I "came out" and I'm sure he would have blown a gasket).

If you're still at home and you think it might cause tremendous problems, I'd advise you to continue to bite your tongue and anything else just to keep the peace in the home.  Once you're out of their house, by all means, be yourself and if they don't like it, too bad.  But is it really worth any possible issues to do so now?

I admire you for finding out who you are so early, though.  Kudos to you!   :banna:
**Kerri**
The Rogue Atheist Scrapbooker
Come visit me on Facebook!

quizlixx

o sorry , i thought everyone knew my age, i'm 15
"The truth is incontrovertible, malice may attack it, ignorance may deride it, but in the end; there it is."

Tom62

I fully agree with Kerry. If you feel uncomfortable to talk about it with your parents or if you are afraid to stir up a hornet's nest then just continue to bite your tongue. There may come a better time to talk with your parents about  your non-believes. In my family we never really talked about religion. My parents were both Catholics, but  in name only. They went to church on Sunday until I was approx. 7 years old. After that they dropped that habit. Religion was not openly  discussed at home until my mother died when I was 18 years old and my father told us that he lost his faith.
The universe never did make sense; I suspect it was built on government contract.
Robert A. Heinlein

Will

I waited until I was over 18 just in case they decided to react rashly. If there is any concern of overreaction, you may want to wait a few years.

If your mom keeps insisting on feeling sorry for herself, remind her that even Jesus of Nazareth had his 40 days in the desert or some other biblical reference. That tends to calm them down. Being an atheist right now means biting one's tongue from time to time. It's a sad reality, but it's a reality. That said, don't worry, we're all working on fixing it.
I want bad people to look forward to and celebrate the day I die, because if they don't, I'm not living up to my potential.

Squid

I can't pretend to know your situation.  However, in my experience with many others in your situation it will cause tension between you and your parents for obvious reasons.  Sometimes it works out when both sides sit down and explain their reasons and civilly discuss the subject.  However, some get sent to "revival camps" or at worst sent to an exorcist (actually happened to one friend of mine a while back) - those wacky Catholics.  

Because of your age, most people will automatically think it is some teenage "phase" in which you are "finding yourself" or some social psychological observation made by those with an extensive background in pop psychology and the crap spewed by Dr. Phil.  I can't say exactly that will be your experience but I can tell you that it won't be easy.

curiosityandthecat

I let my parents find out on their own. Never said it outright, dodged and skirted the issue when I could, and just let it naturally kind of happen. The trouble with "coming out" to some parents is the possibility of this:

[youtube:47mar79l]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wM6BEGZ-spI[/youtube:47mar79l]
-Curio

afreethinker30

Probley a good idea to wait til you are on your own.And maybe in steps to,which sounds like you've already started.I'm sure it's pretty uncomfortable at times being in the situation so why make matters worse for yourself.