Post-Apocalyptic story about an Atheist in Christian society

Started by milovalidus, July 24, 2008, 08:47:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

milovalidus

Alright, here's what's happening.

For a long time I've had an interesting idea about a Sci-Fi story.  The basic premise is that, after the world is nearly destroyed by a nuclear apocalypse, America  is taken over by Christian extremists who convince the population (which, as most of you doubtless know, has a huge Christian majority) that rapture is imminent.  All people who are non-Christian are exiled to rundown cities and discriminated against.  My intention is NOT to suggest that all Christians hate us and want us kept away from the rest of society.  It's just theoretical.

Another idea I had (and eventually went with) was that the entire story is told through the protagonist (an atheist)'s blog.  One might consider it a typed up Cloverfield or an e-Dracula style.  Although it's set 100 years in the future, posts would come out in real-time day-by-day.

So a couple days or so ago I finally sat down and began to write story.  I really have no idea whether it's any good or total garbage, and I wasn't sure who I could have read it - obviously, a lot of people might be religious and absolutely trash the thing.  But it occurred to me that if I go here you guys would be OK with the anti-religious stuff.  I don't mean to advertise my work (I don't have any ads on the site, so it's not like I would get any money) but I just really want some people to read it and tell me what you think.  

The blog is at http://milovalidus.blogspot.com.  It's written in ascending order, meaning the newest posts are on top and the oldest ones are on bottom. You'll have to scroll to the bottom to the first post, above that for the second, above that for the third, etc.

Thanks.

Jolly Sapper

hmm..

I say that its got potential.  Off to a decent start at the very least.

:beer:

Whitney

When you are done you should consider publishing the blog in book format...great stuff.

I'm a little confused about that last entry:

QuoteBecause 7/30/2101 was such a terrible day in human history, SARD is normally a day of contemplation... it means a lot of different things to a lot of different people.

For me, July 25th was a tragically important day.  It's when the whole world stopped making sense.  On that day in 2101, hatred and fear became king and queen of the entire planet.

Typo or are you talking about two events?

Chimera

Interesting concept, I like what you have going there.
"I refuse to believe in a god who is the primary cause of conflict in the world, preaches racism, sexism, homophobia, and ignorance, and then sends me to hell if I’m 'bad.'" â€" Mike Fuhrman

Graham

What you have so far is really interesting. I'm curious to see where it will go. You'll probably get to this eventually but I was wondering why don't the atheists just pretend to be Christians to live a better life?

Loffler

I had the idea for a reversed "Left Behind" story.

Aliens come to Earth and "rapture" all the freethinkers and even agnostics, leaving only the devoutly religious people behind.

afreethinker30

I thought about writing a story about a young atheist girl who dies and goes to a heaven of sorts.But god is more demon-like.Either that or she dies goes to heaven and God tells her that only freethinkers are the choosen ones.God tells her about how people have used his name in vain,and refuse to stand up for their own actions,so he has choosen those who think for themselves.Great idea about the blog/story.

milovalidus

Thanks guys.  I need to apologize for failing to have posted here (or on the blog, for that matter) for a while.  Been a busy few days.  Also...

Quote from: "laetusatheos"When you are done you should consider publishing the blog in book format...great stuff.

I'm a little confused about that last entry:

QuoteBecause 7/30/2101 was such a terrible day in human history, SARD is normally a day of contemplation... it means a lot of different things to a lot of different people.

For me, July 25th was a tragically important day.  It's when the whole world stopped making sense.  On that day in 2101, hatred and fear became king and queen of the entire planet.

Typo or are you talking about two events?

That was a typo.  When I first wrote that post, SARD was actually going to be on the 25th.  But I decided that if that happened, the story would be moving faster than it should be.

Jolly Sapper

Quote from: "noba2278"The Runner is a moving, sincere Age of Conan Gold piece of art. Despite that, most audiences might not have even noticed that it went through the theaters like a desert breeze. It’s made a modest showing internationally, and pulled in $15.4 million in its limited Age of Conan Power Leveling US release. Critics, however, remained mixed, although most of the negative reviews placed the film up against the poetic genius of its source material ?C the best selling novel by Khaled Hosseini.

All sortas advertising going on in the previous post now wasn't there...

:upset: