News:

Nitpicky? Hell yes.

Main Menu

What do you do to chill-out?

Started by zorkan, February 13, 2024, 04:36:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

billy rubin

i knew a woman once who was epileptic. she was in training to be able to mentally raise and lower her heart rate to alleviate symptoms of the seizures.

set the function, not the mechanism.

Asmodean

I don't require ancient Indian healing. My regular hobbies of playing video games and tabletop, reading and otherwise couch-potating... Potatoing? Tatering. :smilenod:

Anyhoo, those there are just fine by me.
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.

zorkan

Listen to classical music.
Mozart is best for relaxation.

Asmodean

Yep. Playing music, too. Learning a melody is a good way of making some hours disappear.
In Asmo's grey lump,
Luxembourg trembles.

zorkan

J.S. Bach is also good.
St Mathew Passion, St John Passion, Easter Oratorio.
Of his cantatas, many are probable lost, but many remain.
Good music was written for churches and no matter if you are an unbeliever.

Asmodean

As Tim Minchin put it, "some of those hymns have nice chords, but the lyrics are dodgy."

That said, Dies Irae sounds great, lyrics and all. :smilenod: (I do prefer the musically-modern-ish, yet somehow not-dissimilar O Fortuna myself, but not for the reason of less overtly-religious lyrics - or relative musical modernity for that matter.)

Faith has led to some great art - be it architecture, poetry, painting or music. But then, so have narcotics, I suppose...
In Asmo's grey lump,
Luxembourg trembles.

Dark Lightning

Messed up on Jesus instead of narcotics.  :thoughtful:

Asmodean

Pretty much, yeah.

Me, I'd prefer some good old-fashioned shrooms, I think, as while I detest being thusly impaired, my dislike for religious impairment is far greater.
In Asmo's grey lump,
Luxembourg trembles.

Dark Lightning

For max chilling, I'm always down for some transcendental masturbation.  :D

Asmodean

Quote from: Dark Lightning on February 15, 2024, 12:10:43 AMFor max chilling, I'm always down for some transcendental masturbation.  :D
:this:

I mean, who isn't? :smilenod:
In Asmo's grey lump,
Luxembourg trembles.

Tank

A good book. That is often Terry Pratchett but I've read the Discworld series 4 or 5 times now. Always on the lookout for good quality Space Opera Sci Fi.

If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Tom62

Watching a movie or TV series; reading a good book; getting a massage;  going to a sauna; having a swim; enjoying a good meal; listening to music; having a walk; drinking a good wine, beer or whisky.
The universe never did make sense; I suspect it was built on government contract.
Robert A. Heinlein

zorkan

Quote from: Dark Lightning on February 15, 2024, 12:10:43 AMFor max chilling, I'm always down for some transcendental masturbation.  :D

Always down?

zorkan

Best sport for relaxation is golf.
Before I joined here I posted on a golf forum where any mention of religion and politics was out of bounds.
Eventually I was thrown off.

So here's my golf tip for the day.
As a game of precise engineering, imagine you are delivering the ball straight and long with religion marked all over it.