News:

Unnecessarily argumentative

Main Menu

Old people

Started by zorkan, December 17, 2023, 03:55:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

zorkan

With all the talk these days of how to bring your health span closer to your life span it might be worth considering just how long a person can live for.
100 is a good age. I can confirm a friend of mine did live to 100 and was in fairly good health until 18 months before she died.
110 is pushing it a bit. Only 1 in 1000 centenarians get that far.
A French woman lived to 122, but for financial reasons she might have been replaced by her daughter.
Zaro Agha, a Kurd lived to 170 and even fought Napolean.
Tibetan yogis can live to 400.
Not sure about this one, either.
https://longevitygerontology.blogspot.com/2021/09/5006-years-old-man-found.html

Asmodean

I think a sort-of "hard cap" for cadmium poisoning is around 420-ish years. Just one of them useless and possibly-false factoids I've picked up somewhere.

That said though, there are many causes to die from before ever cadmium gets you. (multiple-) organ failure, cancers of every stripe, poisoning, pneumonea, being run over repeatedly by a berserk bus driver...

Personally, I don't put much stock in yogis, fakirs, various Indian gods-for-money or that Kurdish chap's claims - at least not in relation to time as we count it. If you count a season as a year, you could hit the 400s. Not if counting them orbits around the Sun though. To put it this way, I can very clearly define what makes me disbelieve their accounts. Can those who do believe them define their reasoning as clearly, without invoking wishful thinking?
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.

zorkan

Surely you believe Moses lived to 120, Noah to 950, Methuselah to 969.
Well, at least Christian evangelists do.

Asmodean

Nah. I believe that those mentioned who actually lived at all, if any, lived at a time when most people couldn't even count that high - at least not reliably. :smilenod:
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.

zorkan

The Canon by 'William Stirling' may provide the answer.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Canon-Exposition-Mystery-Perpetuated-Cabala/dp/1613420854

Read it once in an anonymous edition, but I remember the explanation for the ages of the patriarchs was all based upon astrology.

billy rubin

i intend for the last ten seconds of my life to be at 150mph.

set the function, not the mechanism.

zorkan

Exclusive: Secret of eternal youth now revealed. How Methuselah lived to 969.

https://www.athleticlab.com/the-fountain-of-youth-high-intensity-interval-training-and-longevity/

Will need a control group.

Icarus

If Methusela was an actual person, the odds are that he lived to be no more than 40 years old, 50 at the most. Life expectancy in those days was short by today's standards.

That old dude lived in pre-zero days.  That is to say that the concept of zero had not yet been introduced. The ancients counted in one of several different ways or perhaps with interchangeable bases. Numerical nine hundred of the old day, does not necessarily equate to 900 in our present day numeric system.

I am generously making excuses for stories that are likely only fairy tale bullshit in the first place.   

Dark Lightning

Humans are somewhat credibly reported to have reached ~120 years of age. This happens to coincide with modern medicine's current state of knowledge for a reason. Good point about numbering systems, Icarus.

The Magic Pudding..

Didn't we do something wrong back in the day and that's why we don't get to live as long as Methuselah?
If you suffer from cosmic vertigo, don't look.

zorkan

Before the Flood people were living a lot longer.
Adam himself lived to age 930 after his own creation on day 6.

Longevity was all down to a canopy of water protecting the earth from harmful solar rays and magnetic fields, making the Earth a paradise.
But god ordered the canopy to break and deluge the earth, so all protection was lost.
Human DNA suffered as a consequence.

Methuselah:
Born   687 Anno Mundi.
Died   1656 AM (aged 969).

Seems like they might have known each other.
Why was god so vengeful just because of an apple?

Old Seer

Don't forget Enoch- walked with God and was not God for took him. Apparently that would mean Enoch is still alive.  :)
The only thing possible the world needs saving from are the ones running it.
Oh lord, save us from those wanting to save us.
I'm not a Theist.

zorkan

Genesis 5:22-24 NIV
After he became the father of Methuselah, Enoch walked faithfully with God 300 years and had other sons and daughters. Altogether, Enoch lived a total of 365 years. Enoch walked faithfully with God; then he was no more, because God took him away.