News:

Actually sport it is a narrative

Main Menu

Fresnel lenses and Lighthouses

Started by Icarus, November 30, 2023, 03:35:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Icarus

This section has been quiet for a long time. Here is my effort to give it a small boost. History is fun.......sometimes.

Dark Lightning

hermes2015

Thanks, Icarus. I enjoyed watching that.
"Eventually everything connects - people, ideas, objects. The quality of the connections is the key to quality per se."
― Charles Eames

Recusant

Haven't watched the full video yet. From having spent my younger years on the actual coast of the west coast of North America and visited a few lighthouses there and elsewhere, I've been lucky enough to see a variety of Fresnel lenses. I think they have remarkable charisma in person.  :smokin cool:
"Religion is fundamentally opposed to everything I hold in veneration — courage, clear thinking, honesty, fairness, and above all, love of the truth."
— H. L. Mencken

Asmodean

I've read (I think, though quite possibly watched) that they used quicksilver bearings for those lenses to turn and that those bearings would be cleaned out, possibly by hand, by the keeper.

I suppose that was before humans had what little respect for heavy metals they do today, but still... A bloody open-air quicksilver bearing!

(I must admit to not yet having watched the video - perhaps it is addressed therein?)
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.

hermes2015

Quote from: Asmodean on December 04, 2023, 02:24:44 PMI've read (I think, though quite possibly watched) that they used quicksilver bearings for those lenses to turn and that those bearings would be cleaned out, possibly by hand, by the keeper.

I suppose that was before humans had what little respect for heavy metals they do today, but still... A bloody open-air quicksilver bearing!

(I must admit to not yet having watched the video - perhaps it is addressed therein?)

That's right, and they obtained the mercury from Hg Wells.
"Eventually everything connects - people, ideas, objects. The quality of the connections is the key to quality per se."
― Charles Eames

Dark Lightning

Icarus

When I was a kid, eons ago, golf balls had a center filled with mercury.  An old golf ball was considered a prize by we kids. We would cut it open to get to the mercury and then be fascinated about the way it behaved in our bare hounds, or on a flat surface.

Asmodean

Quote from: hermes2015 on December 05, 2023, 12:19:08 AMThat's right, and they obtained the mercury from Hg Wells.
:rimshot:

The Asmo greatly approves of what you did right there.

Also, when I was young, I too was fascinated by quicksilver being all liquidy, yet forming perfect little balls in small quantities. Such was to be examined very closely, indeed. Preferably breathed in, if that could be arranged at all. I suppose I knew better, but... Still kicking, and not that mentally unhinged, so no harm, I suppose.
In Asmo's grey lump,
Luxembourg trembles.

Tank

If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Asmodean

In Asmo's grey lump,
Luxembourg trembles.

hermes2015

― Charles Eames

Recusant

Some might think cinnabarrasing sort of humor, but not I.   :couchhide: 
"Religion is fundamentally opposed to everything I hold in veneration — courage, clear thinking, honesty, fairness, and above all, love of the truth."
— H. L. Mencken

Tank

You just had to stick your oar in there didn't you  :foottap:
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

hermes2015

Quote from: Recusant on December 08, 2023, 08:57:11 PMSome might think cinnabarrasing sort of humor, but not I.   :couchhide: 

Ha, in your element as usual.
― Charles Eames