News:

The default theme for this site has been updated. For further information, please take a look at the announcement regarding HAF changing its default theme.

Main Menu

A cute little word game

Started by Asmodean, November 21, 2023, 12:53:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Asmodean

Recently, I came across the Blossom word game, hosted by Merriam Webster. It's far too entertaining for what it is.

It runs in a browser and no registration is necessary. Link below for those interested.

https://www.merriam-webster.com/games/blossom-word-game
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.

Dark Lightning

I play Quordle, Blossom and Octordle as a warmup for Wordle every morning. A bunch of us at a woodworking forum have a friendly competition going with Wordle. We're about average.

Asmodean

Cool!

I suppose I'm about average myself, in no small part thanks to some self-imposed rules.

For instance, fairly recently, there was one blossom where you could get both "navigation" and "navigating." A nice, long word, and the game would allow for both, but The Asmo is far too anal for that. No words with the same root, He says! >:( Also, no plurals for squeezing out points - only allowed if you cannot make a singular word (Say, you have enough for cacti, but not for cactus - then it goes)

...Because life is too damned easy, that's why! :P

Sorry but you are not allowed to view spoiler contents.

In Asmo's grey lump,
Luxembourg trembles.

Dark Lightning

I just went and played it. New high score, and I'm shameless enough to use plurals to pad my score. No "S" today, though.

Blossom Puzzle, November 21
Letters: C E I O N R T
My score: 346 points
My longest word: 10 letters
 🌼 💮 🌻 🌺 🏵 🌷 🌸 💐 🌹 🌼

Play Blossom:
https://www.merriam-webster.com/word-games/blossom-word-game

Asmodean

Cool! You are 20-some points ahead of the anally-Grumpy one's high score :smilenod: (EDIT: 321, to be precise)

Was it perchance concertino what had a round number of letters? Contortion? Concoction? Or wait, it just says "longest word," regardless of how many, does it not?
In Asmo's grey lump,
Luxembourg trembles.

Dark Lightning

Concertino isn't a word I got out of those letters. Didn't think of it. I usually run in the high 200s. Had concoction but not contortion. Though intortion did come up. For some reason Merriam-Webster only allows intorsion as a search result.

Asmodean

I tend to be around 270s without my non-cheating cheating, unless really screwed by the letters.

I know intorsion with an s. Didn't realize that it could be spelled with a t. Does that mean that 'tortion' is a valid way of spelling 'torsion?' Or be it a different word entirely?
In Asmo's grey lump,
Luxembourg trembles.

Dark Lightning

wiki dictionary says, "obsolete- torment or pain". I see it in scrabble games.

Asmodean

Ah, I see! The Asmos like themselves some nicely-archaic turn of phrase, so noted for future use :smilenod:

I was thinking that it might have been some US/UK variation on torsion of a twisty variety, but I suppose then it comes from or is related to tort, which I believe is still in use in Legalese, yes?
In Asmo's grey lump,
Luxembourg trembles.

Asmodean

Wow, this last one was vicious! I only got 213.

CHORSTU, my longest was nine letters.
In Asmo's grey lump,
Luxembourg trembles.

Tank

Quote from: Dark Lightning on November 21, 2023, 02:47:17 PMI play Quordle, Blossom and Octordle as a warmup for Wordle every morning. A bunch of us at a woodworking forum have a friendly competition going with Wordle. We're about average.

My wife does all of these every day too.
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Dark Lightning

I bit the turf, for a total of 157 today.

Asmodean

Quote from: Dark Lightning on November 22, 2023, 04:37:19 PMI bit the turf, for a total of 157 today.
Yes, this one was a worthy adversary. I got like the two long-ish words out of the gate "immediately," and then... 5-6 letters :sadnod:

I even have to admit to non-cheating-cheating, with shortcutS being my best effort :sadshake:
In Asmo's grey lump,
Luxembourg trembles.

Dark Lightning

I just use the plural of a word, not it and its plural, if that is what you mean.

Asmodean

Yes, I only used plural - not both. That would violate my same root "rule."

Normally though, I would have used singular.
In Asmo's grey lump,
Luxembourg trembles.