News:

if there were no need for 'engineers from the quantum plenum' then we should not have any unanswered scientific questions.

Main Menu

Could there be hope for streaming?

Started by Asmodean, November 02, 2023, 10:23:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Asmodean

Recently, I've been testing a streaming/TV platform and thus gained access to Netflix again. I've had a subscription earlier which my mother used, but nothing for over half a year.

I must say that I was very positively surprised when I opened the app. It is, of course, quite possible that the platform has done some API voodoo in order to present a certain quality of content, but what I noticed was that for the first time since... Ever, I did not have to scroll through oceans of mostly-low-effort, mostly-woke garbage in order to find the gems.

I started watching a documentary-ish series about life on Earth, narrated by Morgan Freeman and thus far, it has not made a single attempt to shame or guilt me into some sort of fault for a falling sky. (Life on Our Planet. It's well-made. I recommend.) That series was close to the top of my recommendations.

I can't yet hand-to-heart recommend Netflix, but it makes me wonder; have they maybe learned from dwindling stock prices (over 600 in '21 and '22, followed by a low of under 200 - now slowly recovering) and fleeing customers - and if they did, could the rest of the streaming business have those same lessons in their future?

If any-one here has a standalone Netflix subscription, can you confirm or debunk that they have been getting better at promoting quality content?
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.

Tank

We have Netflix, Amazon Prime (by default not choice) and AppleTV+ (for a while as my wife bought a Mac). I won't be renewing the Apple TV+ as I've seen all I want to on it ie the high end SciFi and a couple of Tom Hanks films and Empire.

The way I see it is that I used to by DVD's quite regularly and thus if I enjoy a few hours of Netflix films and series it's Okay value for money.

I've recently watched The Fall of the House of Usher. It's a composite series based on the works of Edgar Alan Poe and it really was quite engrossing. I like anime and there is quite a lot of that on Netflix as well.
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.