News:

There is also the shroud of turin, which verifies Jesus in a new way than other evidences.

Main Menu

Fictional Place Names

Started by The Magic Pudding.., November 01, 2023, 10:37:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Magic Pudding..

I'm watching Muriel's Wedding.
I'm voting for Porpoise Spit as best ever fictional place name.
If you suffer from cosmic vertigo, don't look.

billy rubin

my vote goes to Snogging-on-the-green

set the function, not the mechanism.

Asmodean

I don't actually remember too many funny/silly-named fictional places, but there was a real town called Fucking, the name of which they most unfortunately censored with a double g in stead. :sadshake:
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.

Icarus

Florida has a place with a well established history, it is called Yeehaw Junction. We have some other real places with real names such as Fort Lonesome, Appalachicola, Frostproof, and Haulover.

Bluenose

I can assure readers here that the following are actual, non-fictional place names:
Nar Nar Goon
Wollondilly
Woori Yallock
+++ Divide by cucumber error: please reinstall universe and reboot.  +++

GNU Terry Pratchett

Tank

There was a place near where I grew up called Pratts Bottom :D
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Asmodean

Scandic Hell has one of the best hotel breakfast buffets in Norway - at least they had when I was there for a company gathering. Also, it was in Hell.

We also have a place called Arse in Norwegian (Ræva - it's in Trøndelag county. Literally does mean "arse," as opposed to "rump" or "backside") and a few more, which I just don't remember on the spot. :smilenod:
In Asmo's grey lump,
Luxembourg trembles.

Tom62

In the Netherlands we've got a village called Sexbierum. The name can be read in Dutch as sex, beer, rum, and therefore, the place name signs get occasionally stolen.
The universe never did make sense; I suspect it was built on government contract.
Robert A. Heinlein

billy rubin

i have actually driven through the town of toadsuck, arkansas.

Asmodean

The Asmo can't help but wonder... To suck on a toad, or to get sucked by one, and why is one of these things far less disturbing? :smilenod:
In Asmo's grey lump,
Luxembourg trembles.

billy rubin

there is a small volcanic cinder cone in northern arizona called SP Crater on the USGS topographic maps, similar to the british ordnance surveys. its an almost perfect pot-shaped structure that gave rise to its real name

Shit Pot Crater

which the USGS will not print on their maps

a pitcher:

if you climb into it its full of chunks of mafic horneblendes and amphiboles and olivines, honest injun pieces of the earths mantle, dark black and so heavy when you pick em up you think theyre made of metal.

The Magic Pudding..

"A Change of Air

Now, a man in Oodnadatta
He grew fat, and he grew fatter,
Though he hardly had a thing to eat for dinner;
While a man in Booboorowie
Often sat and wondered how he
Could prevent himself from growing any thinner.

So the man from Oodnadatta
He came down to Booboorowie,
Where he rapidly grew flatter;
And the folk will tell you how he
Urged the man from Booboorowie
To go up to Oodnadatta -
Where he lived awhile, and now he
Is considerably fatter."
If you suffer from cosmic vertigo, don't look.

Tank

Quote from: billy rubin on November 02, 2023, 10:41:55 PMthere is a small volcanic cinder cone in northern arizona called SP Crater on the USGS topographic maps, similar to the british ordnance surveys. its an almost perfect pot-shaped structure that gave rise to its real name

Shit Pot Crater

which the USGS will not print on their maps

a pitcher:

if you climb into it its full of chunks of mafic horneblendes and amphiboles and olivines, honest injun pieces of the earths mantle, dark black and so heavy when you pick em up you think theyre made of metal.

Is the black material in the background related to the crater?
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Asmodean

It looks like the crater edge is lower on that side, so kinda' makes me suspect a connection. If I was a liquid-like substance, I'd flow out from such a low spot. :smilenod:

That, though, is probably way simplistic a volcanological analysis, and thereby dead wrong besides.
In Asmo's grey lump,
Luxembourg trembles.

billy rubin

basalt lava. all the volcanos around there come from low silica low water magmas, so they poop out ashes and then trickle highly undramatic flows over everything.

its the high silica high steam volcanoes like mt st helens that blow out catastrophic explosipns.

it all depends on what melted to make the magma. ocean floor gabbros make easygoing basalt lavas. continental granites make spectacular rhyolites.

arizona is covered in cinder cones. most of the recent flows are just like the one in the picture-- first you had a cinder cone of ash, then the basalt rose up, lifted the cone, and trickled out the side.

the stuff is recent, often only a thousand years

that cone looks higher than i remember, but i was younger then