News:

Actually sport it is a narrative

Main Menu

Israeli-Hamas war

Started by Asmodean, October 09, 2023, 10:41:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Asmodean

Southern Israel and Gaza strip up and exploded again.

From what I understand, Hamas launched several thousand rockets at (well... In the direction of.) Israeli targets, followed by an armed incursion. Istael has declared war in response.

I wonder if it's time for Israel to unleash the proverbial dogs of war and seek a military resolution decisive enough that would have a chance to last for at least a generation or two. They would probably need some serious aid to prevent and/or counter opportunism from some of their neighbours if they were to commit in that manner. I suppose the United States would do what it could - here's to hoping that Europe would follow suit. We have an unfortunate number of voices siding with the Islamists though - hopefully not enough... Also, we do have the ongoing war in Ukraine, but I think we are capable of aiding in two major conflicts, provided the adequate political will to do so. These conflicts may be too important for anything else.

Be interested to hear your thoughts on the matter. Work towards reestablishing status quo, just glass the damned desert or... A third option?
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.

billy rubin

i think israel is seeing the results of 56 years of treating palestinians and arab israelis as subhuman animals.

"animals" is a direct quote from the israeli minister of securiyy this morning.

what hamss did is inexcuseable. but it was not unprovoked.

now the israelis have been provoked, and what they will do is equally inexcuseable.

and the dance will go on.

set the function, not the mechanism.

Asmodean

Quote from: billy rubin on October 09, 2023, 02:20:04 PMand the dance will go on.
That's why I think they should go all in and... Clean house, as a politically-correct The Asmo might put it. Some places, it's "live by the sword or die by one," rather than "live by the sword and die by one."

I suppose had Hamas been a bit less of a poison, I might have been inclined to at least partly share your view. As things stand, however, I'm very firmly pro-Israel in this.
In Asmo's grey lump,
Luxembourg trembles.

billy rubin

i agree about cleaning house.

a good start wpuld be to expel every israeli from the west bank.

thats a problem the israelis have no interest in solving.

Tank

This won't end until one side gives up and that won't happen any time soon.

Israel should never have existed as it is.
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

billy rubin

whatever the provenance, its a mess now. netanyahu is headed for genocide, i think. and hamas is ready to murder tbeir way to paradise.

the palestinians who just want to raise tbeir families in peace are tbe ones taking the brunt of the war.

Tank

"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett

Tank

It looks like the Israelis just aren't going to stop until Gaza is gone.

billy rubin

the nazis did the same to the warsaw ghetto. they just took more time.

Asmodean

Hmm... Well.

My justification is as follows; on the one hand, there is a nation that does not wish to kill, convert or otherwise "inconvenience" me. On the other, a terrorist organization that would greatly enjoy all of the above. Whatever evils Israel may be, I can... Work with them. Hamas? Not so much.

Perhaps there is an argument to be made as to whether the nation of Israel should exist. The reality is, it does, and it has proven capable of defending the claims it stakes. Perhaps there is an argument that the nation of Palestine should exist. In the unlikely event that Hamas succeed in holding at least a scrap of what they took, maybe some version of that argument deserves to be made. Me, I'd like to think I've learned my lessons in Islamist nation building from the likes of the Islamic "State."
In Asmo's grey lump,
Luxembourg trembles.

The Magic Pudding..

Oh damn, I was typing for about an hour, I was really in the zone.
I had a solution, both sides, all sides got what they needed.
No one would have needed to die, no more living in squalor necessary.
No need for soldiers to be ever vigilant as everyone would be content.
But my post got lost, just fell into the ether as sometimes happens.
Ah well, I'll just have to recreate it tomorrow I suppose.
If you suffer from cosmic vertigo, don't look.

Asmodean

If you were composing for an hour and your login timeout is one hour, then your post - and peace in the Middle East - fell victim to connection timeout. When that happens, it may help to press the back button in your browser - it may still have what you were trying to post cached. :smilenod:
In Asmo's grey lump,
Luxembourg trembles.

Tank

Quote from: billy rubin on October 09, 2023, 11:11:06 PMthe nazis did the same to the warsaw ghetto. they just took more time.

Exactly.

Asmodean

Quote from: Tank on October 10, 2023, 11:47:49 AM
Quote from: billy rubin on October 09, 2023, 11:11:06 PMthe nazis did the same to the warsaw ghetto. they just took more time.

Exactly.
Uh... What? Israel and militants based in Gaza have been clashing for at least as long as I have lived. Just how many decades did the Nazis spend leveling the Warsaw ghetto to have taken more time? :unsure:
In Asmo's grey lump,
Luxembourg trembles.

Tank

Quote from: Asmodean on October 10, 2023, 11:51:18 AM
Quote from: Tank on October 10, 2023, 11:47:49 AM

Exactly.
Uh... What? Israel and militants based in Gaza have been clashing for at least as long as I have lived. Just how many decades did the Nazis spend leveling the Warsaw ghetto to have taken more time? :unsure:

I was referring to the current isolation of the Gaza strip. But you're right in that Israel have ghetto'isd the Palestinian population since the war in 1948.