News:

If you have any trouble logging in, please contact admins via email. tankathaf *at* gmail.com or
recusantathaf *at* gmail.com

Main Menu

Geology and pebbles.

Started by The Magic Pudding.., October 08, 2023, 09:03:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Magic Pudding..

Quote from: billy rubin on October 05, 2023, 02:26:51 AM
Quote from: The Magic Pudding.. on September 21, 2023, 01:49:58 AMNew baby necessitates a new camera necessitates retaking pictures of every
Quote from: The Magic Pudding.. on September 21, 2023, 01:49:58 AMNew baby necessitates a new camera necessitates retaking pictures of every stone on every beach.

may i request more of these and closer up?

i am a longtime fan of sedimentary clastics in river and beach environments

i cannot help myself

you have tremendous amounts of geology going on in that pitcher

are there mountains in the vicinity of thst beach? not high alpine ones, but low eroded otypes. im seeing metamorphic stone but presented as pebbles. mountain roots, not peaks.

and weird stuff like urananium minerals?

plus what look like low temperature high pressure metamorphics uphill from depositional basins?

If you suffer from cosmic vertigo, don't look.

billy rubin

thrre you are.

tje dark stones wiyh white bands are gneiss. high tempersture high pressure metamorphic rock resulting from remelting and recrystallization of preexisting stone. the dark stuff is iron and magnesium horneblendes and amphiboles and black serpentines. the white is more fluid quartz that solidified lsst. you only find this stuff in the roots of very high mountains, the kind tbat result from continental collosiond or subductions

the red layered stuff looks like low temp high pressure metamorphic schists and quartzites. this will be formed between the mountain range and whatever plate boundary is nearby. not buried so deep, so not recrystallized, but modified by pressure to align platy minerals like micas and such and to make shsles into slates and so on.

then there are all tbese clastics-- sandstones and quartzites and bits of everything else. all mixed up by transport through eroding layers of evrtything as it gets uplifted, and rounded and smoothed by tumbling in the streams. now tbeyre all being broken up into beach sand.

set the function, not the mechanism.

billy rubin

the fourth picture shows what coulf be either a pegmatite or gniessic outcrop? too big to be a boulder transported there. im guessing its a pegmatite because picture 8 shows what looks like a granite or diorite, of all things.

i would not expect granite to be exposed alongside gneiss, because they granite comes from silica rich magma chambers coolong off slowly underground, like from a melting subduction zone. you will have volcanoes spewing it out as rhyolitic lava. if its not granite but just a really light cploured gneiss, then youre looking right up that old mountain ranges butt crack on this beach.

so the mountain roots are or are not exposed at the beach? are there big ridges of this granite/pegmatite stuff running from uphill down through the strand into the water? if the outcrops are grsnite, all tjis is beach is perched above an old volcanic ridge made of melted country rock, so some of the metamorhic stones could have been made right there and not transported.

if the outcrops are the black and white gneids, then youre away from the collosion or spreading zone and in the primordisl basement of the mountsin range

billy rubin

this shit is fascinating

plus youve got all tbose cool limpets. are tjose old barnacles in the cracks? i dunno what the snakey things are. busted up barnacles?

are there tideppools? you should see echinoderms if the surf isnt bad, sea cucumbers and urchins. the limpets are built like little bomb shelters becausr theyre exposed to the surf at every change of the tide. a rough life but lucrative.

the clean pebbles indicate thst this is likely a pretty steep beach, so the waves wont be breaking super far out and the water might get too deep too quick for much of a reef. im just guessing though

is the water cold?

billy rubin

you see the same mix of history in a river bed made of cobbles, like you get in srid areas. each stone comes from a different part of the painting, and if you gather a pile of tbem uou can read the geologic history of the area like looking at a cup full of tea leaves