News:

if there were no need for 'engineers from the quantum plenum' then we should not have any unanswered scientific questions.

Main Menu

Antimatter appears to fall.

Started by Tank, September 27, 2023, 05:10:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tank

Scientists get closer to solving mystery of antimatter

QuoteScientists have made a key discovery about antimatter - a mysterious substance which was plentiful when the Universe began.

Antimatter is the opposite of matter, from which stars and planets are made.

Both were created in equal amounts in the Big Bang which formed our Universe. While matter is everywhere, though, its opposite is now fiendishly hard to find.

The latest study has discovered the two respond to gravity in the same way.

For years, physicists have been scrambling to discover their differences and similarities, to explain how the Universe arose.
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Recusant

Well done those scientists on the work. It seems intuitive to me that antimatter would be affected by gravity just the same as matter. It's made up of subatomic particles just like matter, so why would it not? Intuition is not observation though.  :D
"Religion is fundamentally opposed to everything I hold in veneration — courage, clear thinking, honesty, fairness, and above all, love of the truth."
— H. L. Mencken

The Magic Pudding..

Quote from: Recusant on September 28, 2023, 02:09:16 AMIt seems intuitive to me that antimatter would be affected by gravity just the same as matter.

No it shouldn't, it's antimatter, the opposite of matter.
It should behave in THE opposite manner of matter in every conceivable matter!
If you suffer from cosmic vertigo, don't look.

Recusant

;D But would not anti-hydrogen readily react and combine with anti-oxygen to form anti-water? If so, is anti-water dry?
"Religion is fundamentally opposed to everything I hold in veneration — courage, clear thinking, honesty, fairness, and above all, love of the truth."
— H. L. Mencken

The Magic Pudding..

Quote from: Recusant on September 28, 2023, 07:09:10 AM;D But would not anti-hydrogen readily react and combine with anti-oxygen to form anti-water? If so, is anti-water dry?

Of course, and your toe will hurt if you don't kick it on an antimatter rock.
If you suffer from cosmic vertigo, don't look.