News:

If you have any trouble logging in, please contact admins via email. tankathaf *at* gmail.com or
recusantathaf *at* gmail.com

Main Menu

Who Am I?

Started by Ecurb Noselrub, September 22, 2023, 12:23:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ecurb Noselrub

This is a history game. You give 3 clues about your identity as an historical figure. The person who answers correctly then picks another historical figure and gives 3 clues, etc. I will go first.

1. I was the governor of two southern states in the USA.
2. I was the commander of the Texas army in its revolution against Mexico.
3. I was the President of a republic.

Who am I?

Tank

If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Icarus

I will guess that the answer is not Davy Crockett, Not L. B. Johnson (or Ladybird), not Gregg Abbott.   I will take a shot at the answer; Sam Houston.

1. A person called Leonardo of Pisa.
2. Real name Leonardo Pisano Bigolla
3. He dreamed up a system of numbers that can describe the number of petals on a flower and also identify the Golden ratio. What are his numbers   commonly called? ................Clue; Not Bigolla numbers

cheating by using google is permitted in this game I presume.

Ecurb Noselrub

First, you were right about Sam Houston.

Second, the answer to your puzzle is Fibonacci Numbers.

I will wait for confirmation before posting again.

Dark Lightning

Yup, Fibonacci numbers. #numbertheorygroupy

Ecurb Noselrub

1. Je parle francais.

2. I led an army, unlike most people who looked like me.

3. I died a painful death.

Who am I?

Tom62

The universe never did make sense; I suspect it was built on government contract.
Robert A. Heinlein

Ecurb Noselrub

I was thinking of Joan of Arc, but I see that Napoleon is also correct, so you win.

Ecurb Noselrub

Tom, do you have a puzzle for us.

Icarus

1: WWII
2: Germany had a huge and famous battleship, superior to almost any other. 
3: Churchill believed it imperative to destroy the ship. There is a Churchill quotation that        addresses that need.

What was the name of the ship?  Did the Brits manage to sink it?

The Magic Pudding..

Everyone knows Kenneth More sank the Bismark.
There's a very American sounding song about it but I don't think they had anything to do with it.

Who was Star Trek's Kirk named after?
If you suffer from cosmic vertigo, don't look.

Ecurb Noselrub

Asmodean

Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on September 26, 2023, 12:28:29 PMCaptain James Cook?
I think that connection was made after he was already named though, no..?

Quote from: The Magic Pudding.. on September 26, 2023, 09:39:32 AMWho was Star Trek's Kirk named after?
From what I remember of ancient lore, he was (first-)named after Roddenberry's mom's lover. Whether or not that is true... Well... Roddenberry wrote so, and The Asmo approves.

Tiberius is for Tiberius of Rome, although Kirk had a different middle name at one point.

The Asmo was a Treckie before Modern Day(tm) ruined it. :sadshake:

1. I used to have a funny moustache
2. I was mostly [or, by most] seen in black and white
3. Not that one. ;-)
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.

The Magic Pudding..

Quote from: Asmodean on September 26, 2023, 12:31:52 PM
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on September 26, 2023, 12:28:29 PMCaptain James Cook?
I think that connection was made after he was already named though, no..?

Quote from: The Magic Pudding.. on September 26, 2023, 09:39:32 AMWho was Star Trek's Kirk named after?
From what I remember of ancient lore, he was (first-)named after Roddenberry's mom's lover. Whether or not that is true... Well... Roddenberry wrote so, and The Asmo approves.

Tiberius is for Tiberius of Rome, although Kirk had a different middle name at one point.

The Asmo was a Treckie before Modern Day(tm) ruined it. :sadshake:

1. I used to have a funny moustache
2. I was mostly [or, by most] seen in black and white
3. Not that one. ;-)

Charlie Hitler.

Of course
If you suffer from cosmic vertigo, don't look.

Asmodean

Quote from: The Magic Pudding.. on September 26, 2023, 12:48:31 PMCharlie Hitler.
The Asmo gives this...

QuoteOf course
...And this a 50% accuracy rating, which, if combined, add up to a hundred percent, because that is how reality works because He so proclaimeth. :smilenod:

(It was Charlie Chaplin. Also, it seems that at least Memory Alpha remembers Kirk's origins sort-of-ish in line with how I do)
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.