News:

Actually sport it is a narrative

Main Menu

Mahsa Amini

Started by Tank, September 15, 2023, 09:44:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tank

Mahsa Amini died on the 16th September 2022.

QuoteOn 16 September 2022, the 22-year-old Iranian woman Mahsa Amini,[a] also known as Jina Amini,[b][1][2][3] died in a hospital in Tehran, Iran, under suspicious circumstances. The Guidance Patrol, the religious morality police of Iran's government, arrested Amini for allegedly not wearing the hijab in accordance with government standards. The Law Enforcement Command of the Islamic Republic of Iran stated that she had a heart attack at a police station, collapsed, and fell into a coma before being transferred to a hospital.[4][5] However, eyewitnesses, including women who were detained with Amini, reported that she was severely beaten and that she died as a result of police brutality,[6][7][8] which was denied by the Iranian authorities.[9] The assertions of police brutality, in addition to leaked medical scans,[10] led some observers to believe Amini had a cerebral hemorrhage or stroke due to head injuries received after her arrest.[11]

Amini's death resulted in a series of protests described by CNN as more widespread than the protests in 2009, 2017, and 2019,[12] and by The New York Times as the largest Iranian protests since at least 2009.[13] Some female demonstrators removed their hijab or publicly cut their hair as acts of protest.[14] Iran Human Rights reported that by December 2022 at least 476 people had been killed by security forces attacking protests across the country.[15][16] Amnesty International reported that Iranian security forces had, in some cases, fired into groups with live ammunition and had in other cases killed protesters by beating them with batons.[17]
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Asmodean

...A year on, and nothing has changed. :sad sigh:

It takes time, I suppose, but I wonder if time itself is enough to gradually shift people's priorities from morally policing each other's personal matters to... More constructive pursuits, let's call it.

Education, I suppose, but then nations like Iran and Saudi Arabia are hardly uneducated. Atheism? Yeah, but you'd probably get assaulted for that too - by the very same people, and with the wider society's blessings besides.

It is, of course, up to them how they conduct their internal affairs - I just find their methods counter-productive to any sort of goal I would consider worthwhile.
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.