News:

When one conveys certain things, particularly of such gravity, should one not then appropriately cite sources, authorities...

Main Menu

Christian Nationalism.

Started by Old Seer, August 24, 2023, 03:09:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Old Seer

There's a much stronger effort under way to have the US a Christian nation via government declaration. Unconstitutional. Government cannot favor religion one over another. They promote that government in the US should be based on Christian principles. Question: Who decides what Christian principles are or should be. Another classic case that shows Americans don't seem to understand the Constitution. :) 
The only thing possible the world needs saving from are the ones running it.
Oh lord, save us from those wanting to save us.
I'm not a Theist.

Dark Lightning

Sadly, my fellow Americans are completely clueless about how this country is run.

Asmodean

Well... I suppose there are people who think that such things matter. If only they get the name of their religion or god into shit, then it will certainly grant its favour.

...And/or they may want certain policies implemented, and see the name as a doorway to no-true-Scotsman their way towards them. "Well, as a Christian nation, how do you not have school prayer?" - Quite easily, in fact, but I suspect that that is how it goes.
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.

Icarus

One side of the political aisle is largely responsible for the abandonment of some of our most important Constitutional provisions.

Asmodean

I don't know. From what I read of Supreme court rulings (Far from every single one, but I do find the "high legalese" fascinating) those abandonment attempts tend to come from all manner of sides.

...But I assume you are referring to that least-coup coup in the history of coups, which could also be framed as the most non-coup coup in the history of non-coups?
In Asmo's grey lump,
Luxembourg trembles.

billy rubin

i agree with icarus that the attempts to subvert the co nstitution are exclusively from the conservatives. freedom of speech, freedom of religion, illegal search and seizure, and so on.

democrats have used legal means, such as expanding presidential power, but violating the constitution in the name of the constitution is a republican specialty.

its very much not a case of both-sides-are-equal. the conservatives are existentially threatened by demographics, and are lashing out without regard for the democratic process.

set the function, not the mechanism.

Asmodean

That may indeed be true. What I was referring to, is some recent decisions on things like affirmative action, which has been a practice for quite some time despite it standing on questionable constitutional grounds at best.

I'm not saying that any specific "side" does it more - that is not something I can demonstrate or am particularly interested in, to be honest. What I am saying, however, is that while them pots and kettles may be varying degrees of sooty, there does be enough soot on the lot, it seems.
In Asmo's grey lump,
Luxembourg trembles.

Old Seer

Quote from: Asmodean on August 29, 2023, 09:50:42 AMThat may indeed be true. What I was referring to, is some recent decisions on things like affirmative action, which has been a practice for quite some time despite it standing on questionable constitutional grounds at best.

I'm not saying that any specific "side" does it more - that is not something I can demonstrate or am particularly interested in, to be honest. What I am saying, however, is that while them pots and kettles may be varying degrees of sooty, there does be enough soot on the lot, it seems.
We're also finding how unconstitutional the US has been for the last (at least) several decades. Almost all firearms laws are being taken way that were put into law have been overriding the 2nd amendment. That tells me that the US government's political mentality is existing more on power over the citizens than remaining within the constitution.
The only thing possible the world needs saving from are the ones running it.
Oh lord, save us from those wanting to save us.
I'm not a Theist.

Asmodean

Should change the amendment before putting local laws that conflict with it into practice. :smilenod:
In Asmo's grey lump,
Luxembourg trembles.

Tom62

Quote from: Asmodean on September 01, 2023, 11:02:04 AMShould change the amendment before putting local laws that conflict with it into practice. :smilenod:

Interesting though is that at places where they have the most restrictive gun laws they don't seem to be very useful. It is almost as if criminals don't obey these laws (like in Chicago).
The universe never did make sense; I suspect it was built on government contract.
Robert A. Heinlein

Tank

Quote from: Tom62 on September 02, 2023, 02:10:09 PM
Quote from: Asmodean on September 01, 2023, 11:02:04 AMShould change the amendment before putting local laws that conflict with it into practice. :smilenod:

Interesting though is that at places where they have the most restrictive gun laws they don't seem to be very useful. It is almost as if criminals don't obey these laws (like in Chicago).

Well that's not surprising is it when you consider that guns are virtually universally available in the US. If you can't get a gun where you are just get it in another state or pay somebody to go and get a gun. The sheer quantity of guns in the US makes acquiring one easy if you know the right sort of person and by definition the sort of people who want an illegal gun will know exactly who to talk to. Gun law in America won't work until America falls out of love with guns and I doubt we'll see that in our lifetimes.
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Tom62

That is absolutely true. Too many guns around and too many people who love guns.
The universe never did make sense; I suspect it was built on government contract.
Robert A. Heinlein

billy rubin

and also people like me who dont love them but consider access to a gun to be prudent.

i am going to lunch with a friend wearing a beretta 380 in a crossdraw holster under my shirt as i write.

too many mass shootings too close to me in my iife to live otherwise.

set the function, not the mechanism.

Tank

Quote from: billy rubin on September 02, 2023, 07:32:51 PMand also people like me who dont love them but consider access to a gun to be prudent.

i am going to lunch with a friend wearing a beretta 380 in a crossdraw holster under my shirt as i write.

too many mass shootings too close to me in my iife to live otherwise.

I can totally understand your caution.
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Icarus

The biggest problem is; "a good guy with a gun" is likely to be shot dead before he recognizes that he has been exposed to "a bad guy with a gun". Much vigilance is necessary. That is a damned poor way to have to live.

OK I confess that I have guns. My most trusted one is a pump action twelve gauge shotgun. It would be a bit conspicuous during a trip down to the ice cream vendors place of business. My shotgun has a pistol grip which make it rather intimidating to onlookers,including bad guys. Looks much like a "street sweeper" tool. I fear that the cops would see it as a threat and do what they think they had to do. Dilemma!