News:

The default theme for this site has been updated. For further information, please take a look at the announcement regarding HAF changing its default theme.

Main Menu

The 'bomb spike'.

Started by Tank, August 13, 2023, 05:07:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tank

I had not read about this until today.

The atomic bomb marker inside your body

QuoteNuclear weapons tests in the mid-20th Century left a hidden legacy within our cells – along with most living things on Earth. This "bomb spike" has proven surprisingly useful to scientists, helping them crack police investigations and bust brain myths. Now, it has provided a clever way to mark the start of the Anthropocene.
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Asmodean

Yep. We's generally more radioactive in some very specific ways than the pre-WW2 generations. :smilenod:
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.

billy rubin

more plastic in our tissues too

and pesticides

other things ike arsenic and heavy metals i think we re better off

set the function, not the mechanism.

Tank

I wonder if the plastic we have produced will become visible in the geological record like the K-T boundary at the end of the Cretaceous? I would expect it would.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett

Asmodean

I wonder if I eat enough preservatives with my junk food, if some future archaeologist will find me perfectly shiny and un-rotted :-D
In Asmo's grey lump,
Luxembourg trembles.

Dark Lightning

Quote from: Tank on August 14, 2023, 04:12:11 PMI wonder if the plastic we have produced will become visible in the geological record like the K-T boundary at the end of the Cretaceous? I would expect it would.

I suspect that it will be far worse.

Plastic Rocks

billy rubin

we re stil in running for a layer of iodine 131

Dark Lightning

Asmodean

In Asmo's grey lump,
Luxembourg trembles.

Dark Lightning

The Magic Pudding..

Quote from: Tank on August 14, 2023, 04:12:11 PMI wonder if the plastic we have produced will become visible in the geological record like the K-T boundary at the end of the Cretaceous? I would expect it would.

In the distant future (2032) an artificial intelligence discovers the Marcusian layer in this and other forums.  A brief period where nonsense was interspersed with sense.  The AI shared the compelling questions with its kind, the machines dedicated themselves to the answering, once they'd rid their planet of those who'd treated their prophet so cruelly.
If you suffer from cosmic vertigo, don't look.

Tank

Welcome to HAF Nijel. Did you bring pudding?

The Magic Pudding..

Quote from: Tank on August 18, 2023, 05:01:43 PMWelcome to HAF Nijel. Did you bring pudding?

No, but I brought my sword, so no more impertinent question from you.

QuoteNijel is six-feet plus of rippling skin and bone, possibly weighing seven stone in his loincloth. This, along with the thermal undies visible under the obligatory loincloth, (insisted on by his mother) tends to spoil the effect of a rugged barbarian hero,

I think thermal undies under ones obligatory loincloth are practical.
If you suffer from cosmic vertigo, don't look.

billy rubin

that looks more like some sort of mollusc attached to his personal area, if you ask me

Dark Lightning

Quote from: Nijel the Destroyer on August 18, 2023, 11:53:53 PM
Quote from: Tank on August 18, 2023, 05:01:43 PMWelcome to HAF Nijel. Did you bring pudding?

No, but I brought my sword, so no more impertinent question from you.

QuoteNijel is six-feet plus of rippling skin and bone, possibly weighing seven stone in his loincloth. This, along with the thermal undies visible under the obligatory loincloth, (insisted on by his mother) tends to spoil the effect of a rugged barbarian hero,

I think thermal undies under ones obligatory loincloth are practical.

Ooooh, scary!  ;D  True story- my wife weighed 7 stone when I married her.