News:

The default theme for this site has been updated. For further information, please take a look at the announcement regarding HAF changing its default theme.

Main Menu

I have a weird question.

Started by tornado, July 18, 2008, 11:14:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tornado

I've been wondering about this for some time, and after a few fruitless google searches I decided to ask here. Hopefully one of you will know.

After a tumor is surgically removed, what does the hospital do with the tumor?

Will

Quote from: "tornado"I've been wondering about this for some time, and after a few fruitless google searches I decided to ask here. Hopefully one of you will know.

I strongly suspect that it is disposed of as medical waste.

I was born with a coarctation of the aorta, which is a deformity of the cardiovascular system. When the deformed tissue was removed, it was placed in a bag which was placed in the medical waste bin. I asked if I could see it, hold it in my hand, but they said that it wasn't sanitary.
I want bad people to look forward to and celebrate the day I die, because if they don't, I'm not living up to my potential.

MariaEvri

Quote from: "Willravel"
Quote from: "tornado"I've been wondering about this for some time, and after a few fruitless google searches I decided to ask here. Hopefully one of you will know.

I strongly suspect that it is disposed of as medical waste.

I thought of that too, but perhaps they keep some to study them? see how theyre formed etc?
God made me an atheist, who are you to question his wisdom!
www.poseidonsimons.com

Jolly Sapper

They probably already took a sample and then chunked the rest, probably incinerated.

afreethinker30

It depends on the size of the tumor.One they removed from my mom was sent in for further testing and was kept.It was going to be used for a type of teaching program.She had a brain tumor about, quoting the doc the length of a pencil width of a golfball.The others they removed were just sampled and the rest burned.He was very suprised that she was still alive given the size.

susangail

Quote from: "tornado"After a tumor is surgically removed, what does the hospital do with the tumor?
The others have answered (I had no idea) but I just wanted to say great question! I never thought of that....
When life gives you lemons, make orange juice and let the world wonder how you did it.

afreethinker30

I've wondered if they would let you keep it if you wanted.You do pay for the service of having it removed and it was apart of your body.

Loffler

Ever had hospital food?

myleviathan

Yeah - don't have the meatball special...
"On the moon our weekends are so far advanced they encompass the entire week. Jobs have been phased out. We get checks from the government, and we spend it on beer! Mexican beer! That's the cheapest of all beers." --- Ignignokt & Err

Asmodean

Quote from: "myleviathan"Yeah - don't have the meatball special...

:eek: I knew the Swedish were sneaky!
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.

tornado

Quote from: "Loffler"Ever had hospital food?

:D  :D

Good answers everyone, thanks. I would hope that they would keep the tumors for further study, but I don't know exactly what that would entail. Would they attach the tumor to a host body, like a mouse or something? Or maybe just send it off and keep it preserved in some kind of fluid?

McQ

Loffler is right. Mmmm....goooood!  ;)

This topic happens to be right up my alley. Depending on the tumor type, and whether it may be needed for further cytogenetics, they'll keep various biopsied areas frozen for a long time. Most of it is disposed of as medical waste though.
Elvis didn't do no drugs!
--Penn Jillette

Occam

Seventy years ago, at the age of seven, I was brought to the hospital to have my tonsils removed.  The doctor stopped by to reassure me and he asked If I had any questions.  I said I'd like to see them after they were removed.  When I awakened, the nurse came by with two bloody lumps of tissue on a gauze pad and showed them to me.

Twenty years later when I had a vasectomy, I asked the doctor if I could have the two vas deferens sections he removed.  He put them in a small jar and I took them home.  I added alcohol to preserve them, and planned to embed them in a small block of clear acrylic resin.  I never did, but it would have been an interesting conversation piece on my key chain.   :lol:

Occam

afreethinker30

Quote from: "Loffler"

Ever had hospital food?

Ewww  roflol

freeatlast

I have a weird answer.

I'm guessing that there's one crazy hospital employee in each area that collects these items in jars in their basement or attic. Kinda like the janitor from Scrubs. They probably name the parts after the original owners. I have never had anything removed so I'm certain that there isn't a body part named after me in some scuzzy guy's collection.

Adios
A man said to the universe: "Sir I exist!" "However," replied the universe,"The fact has not created in me a sense of obligation."
-Stephen Crane