News:

There is also the shroud of turin, which verifies Jesus in a new way than other evidences.

Main Menu

Is life for an atheist beautiful?

Started by MarcusA, July 25, 2023, 07:36:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MarcusA

Life for an atheist is alleviated by humour and a smile.
This user has been banned for spamming the forum.

MarcusA

Life is beautiful if you can stand the lies.

MarcusA

Prycejosh1987

Quote from: MarcusA on July 25, 2023, 07:36:49 AMLife for an atheist is alleviated by humour and a smile.
Humour doesnt come to an atheist because to think of life as having no point is the have a connection to nothing of value. There is value in supreme forces and working to please those forces at work intervening in lives. What i am saying is we need a sense of direction and feel like we want to head somewhere. This is something spirituality offers but atheism does not. A goal is meant to be accomplished but at the same time impossible to accomplish.

Recusant

Quote from: Prycejosh1987 on August 16, 2023, 09:35:44 PM
Quote from: MarcusA on July 25, 2023, 07:36:49 AMLife for an atheist is alleviated by humour and a smile.
Humour doesnt come to an atheist because to think of life as having no point is the have a connection to nothing of value. There is value in supreme forces and working to please those forces at work intervening in lives. What i am saying is we need a sense of direction and feel like we want to head somewhere. This is something spirituality offers but atheism does not. A goal is meant to be accomplished but at the same time impossible to accomplish.

You were warned about spamming. You can have three days (at least) to let your keyboard cool off.
"Religion is fundamentally opposed to everything I hold in veneration — courage, clear thinking, honesty, fairness, and above all, love of the truth."
— H. L. Mencken

Icarus

Prycejosh. Your claims (assumptions) about the mind set and emotional condition of atheists are typical of religious people.  Unfortunately, You and your peers are almost entirely uninformed.

Absence of valid, real world, information or experience tends to insulate the religious from understanding the personal comforts that atheism provides.

billy rubin

Quote from: Prycejosh1987 on August 16, 2023, 09:35:44 PM
Quote from: MarcusA on July 25, 2023, 07:36:49 AMHumour doesnt come to an atheist because to think of life as having no point is the have a connection to nothing of value. There is value in supreme forces and working to please those forces at work intervening in lives. What i am saying is we need a sense of direction and feel like we want to head somewhere. This is something spirituality offers but atheism does not. A goal is meant to be accomplished but at the same time impossible to accomplish.

prycejosh, if you come back i would like to discuss this with you.

personally, i completely agree that to think of life as having no point is to have a connection to nothing of value.

i would like to hear your opinion as to why you think that is a problem.

set the function, not the mechanism.

Asmodean

Quote from: Prycejosh1987 on August 16, 2023, 09:35:44 PMHumour doesnt come to an atheist because to think of life as having no point is the have a connection to nothing of value.
How does thinking that life has no point connect to Atheism?

QuoteThere is value in supreme forces and working to please those forces at work intervening in lives.
And that value is..?

QuoteWhat i am saying is we need a sense of direction and feel like we want to head somewhere. This is something spirituality offers but atheism does not.
Why would Atheism offer something? Atheism+ has been tried, and, if you ask me, with pretty disastrous consequences. Let Atheism be Atheism and leave offering stuff to other concepts and ideologies.

If you are looking for direction, working towards starting a family may be one such. Having accomplished that, raising the kids may provide a new set of worthy goals. Having done that as well, you can once again adjust you aims. You can live a fulfilling and interesting life up until the moment you fall over dead - if you so choose. You can do that with or without the supernatural nonsense.

QuoteA goal is meant to be accomplished but at the same time impossible to accomplish.
That really depends a LOT on the goal, but if those are the goals you crave, there is any number that have nothing to do with spirits - be they drinkable or metaphysical.
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.

Tank

That's a good point Asmo. You know the second one invokes a god all human life instantly becomes meaningless because we become the pets, puppets and playthings of a zookeeper/tyrant. Gods destroy any meaning in human existence. The only possible meaning in a persons life is that which they choose to give it. And that will be a unique signature for every single person.
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Asmodean

Indeed. It doesn't even take a social mastermind to see beyond one's own scope of meaning, if one but tries. For instance, I used the example of starting a family, which I myself did not. My own purpose lying elsewhere does not mean, however, that I'm blind to that being a major source of purpose and direction in life for a lot of people.

It's a bit strange how the more religious types tend to cover their eyes and ears and hum loudly when presented with such, especially given that "to serve my master" is very thin as life's ambitions go.
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.