News:

Look, I haven't mentioned Zeus, Buddah, or some religion.

Main Menu

The Right to Life?

Started by MarcusA, July 10, 2023, 07:20:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MarcusA

To save a child's life, you leave its mother to rot. Do you?
This user has been banned for spamming the forum.

No one

MarcusA

Problem solved. Erase all traces of both.

No one

Follow me for more pearls of wisdom.

MarcusA

The blind leading the blind.

No one

What a sight it would be.

Tank

Am I the only one wondering if MarcusA is a sock puppet of No One?
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

No one

billy rubin

set the function, not the mechanism.

Ecurb Noselrub

He could not possibly be a sock puppet of No One. No One does not have any exhibitionist tendencies, so I doubt he could even invent or fake MarcusA. MarcusA's posts could all be boiled down to three words: "Look at me!" But I say this with all love and respect, not casting aspersions or throwing stones. Just an observation.

billy rubin

marcus is a churning pot of introspection. and poetry

MarcusA

We have a right to liberty, not life. No-one is so precious as to demand life.

billy rubin

i disagree. if rights do exist, and for the moment i assert they do, then the right to left alone is preeminent.

to clarify, you have a right not to be murdered. but noone is obligated to save yuou.

Asmodean

Quote from: Tank on July 10, 2023, 10:16:10 AMAm I the only one wondering if MarcusA is a sock puppet of No One?

:headscratch:

... ...Not anymore.  :sherlock:

Quote from: MarcusA on July 10, 2023, 07:20:00 AMTo save a child's life, you leave its mother to rot. Do you?
Ooh... This is a complex one, indeed. Would I sacrifice a mother to save her child? I suppose situationally, I might.

I think... Hmm... Yes, I think that this can be boiled down to a personal property question. Whose (in terms of ownership) are the lives to forfeit - or not? May they delegate that decision? Under what, if any, circumstances may a third party interfere?

In the society I live in (for that matter, your wider society as well) a person does indeed have the right to live. It is not a blanket right, however. It protects you from certain events, but not others. The examples "in-breach-but-not" of said right may involve soldiers at war, people in palliative/end of life care, variations of the trolley problem (which you present here) and the like.

So... You have the right to live. That does not mean that you will, or that any breach of said right is either remediable or attributable to malice.
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.

billy rubin

what is a "right?"

under what authority is it granted or abrogated?