News:

If you have any trouble logging in, please contact admins via email. tankathaf *at* gmail.com or
recusantathaf *at* gmail.com

Main Menu

Hello From Vermont

Started by Ecurb Noselrub, July 04, 2023, 01:03:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ecurb Noselrub

I am in Montpelier, Vermont for one month, working remotely, to beat the Texas heat. Living in an Air B&B. We drove up here - 2000 miles. Smoke from Canada covered everything from Ohio to here. Bummer. Last night I went to the July 4 parade downtown, and Bernie was there!! A Bernie sighting! People here really like him.

After a month here I am going to Maine for three weeks. Then driving back to Texas in late August. It will still be hot, but I will have missed the worst - hopefully.

Dark Lightning

Cool! Too bad about that smoke.

Tank

Well done on 8,000 posts too!!!
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

The Magic Pudding.

Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 04, 2023, 01:03:14 PMI am in Montpelier, Vermont for one month, working remotely, to beat the Texas heat. Living in an Air B&B. We drove up here - 2000 miles. Smoke from Canada covered everything from Ohio to here. Bummer. Last night I went to the July 4 parade downtown, and Bernie was there!! A Bernie sighting! People here really like him.

After a month here I am going to Maine for three weeks. Then driving back to Texas in late August. It will still be hot, but I will have missed the worst - hopefully.

Nice, words look at all those words.

Anne D.

Eager to hear more about the adventure, EN.

Stop being an insufferable meanie, TMP.

billy rubin

what a wonderful time to be in new england.

the weather i s perfect, there's megafauna to gawk at, and the potatoes are almost in bloom.

set the function, not the mechanism.

MarcusA

Quote from: billy rubin on July 04, 2023, 08:14:54 PMwhat a wonderful time to be in new england.

the weather i s perfect, there's megafauna to gawk at, and the potatoes are almost in bloom.

Beasties and potatoes!
This user has been banned for spamming the forum.

Ecurb Noselrub

Speaking of beasties, there are deer ticks here, which carry Lyme disease and other nasty things. After a walk you have to check your "warm places". 

billy rubin

they have potato festivals up north with parades and everything

Recusant

Keep those ticks at bay and enjoy the relatively cooler green of New England!  8)
"Religion is fundamentally opposed to everything I hold in veneration — courage, clear thinking, honesty, fairness, and above all, love of the truth."
— H. L. Mencken

MarcusA

Does Vermont have Vermouth?
This user has been banned for spamming the forum.

Ecurb Noselrub

Well, Montpelier flooded two days ago. Unprecedented rains, and the city is in a valley at the confluence of the Winooski River and the North Branch, which runs right through downtown. The center of town was under about 3 feet of water. Today the water is gone, but there is mud. If it rains again, everything is saturated and the reservoir above town is full, so there may be more flooding. But right now it is sunny. I feel sorry for the businesses downtown, though.

We have made several long drives out in the country, and went to Woodstock, VT, last Saturday. Beautiful state when it is not flooding. It is a very agrarian state, and that bleeds over into the city. Across the street there are sheep in one house's back yard, and two houses down has chickens in the front. Many homes have vegetable gardens. We visited a maple farm the first weekend we were here. They tap the trees, connect them all with tubes, and the maple sap runs down into a small facility where they cook it down and make delicious maple syrup. They use it in ice cream, candy, and, of course, for pancakes and waffles. Yum! We walk a lot - town is small and 15 minutes on foot gets me downtown. Our rent house is on a hill, so it did not flood.

Ecurb Noselrub

This Saturday we are going to Stowe, which is only 23 miles from here. The next day we are going to nearby Waterbury to tour the Ben & Jerry's Ice Cream Factory. Can't wait.

Then, the Saturday after that, we have booked a dinner cruise on Lake Champlain in Burlington. Burlington is the largest town in the state, but only has 44,000 people. It's where Bernie Sanders is from.

billy rubin

this is fantastic

how long will you stay up thrre? only the montb?

can you go moose sighting?

Ecurb Noselrub

We are in Montpelier for the month of July, then going to Camden, Maine, for 3 weeks. Then driving back to Texas, taking a different route. I plan to see Gettysburg and a couple of other places I have not seen. We get back home at the end of August. It will still be hot, but we will have missed the worst, I hope. Last evening at 6:30 it was 76 in Stowe and 105 in Belton, Texas (at 5:30, CST), where I live.