News:

In case of downtime/other tech emergencies, you can relatively quickly get in touch with Asmodean Prime by email.

Main Menu

those billionaires in that submarine

Started by billy rubin, June 22, 2023, 01:07:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

billy rubin

shall i begin with the callous opinion?

i dont give a rats ass whether the billionaires in that adventure tour live or die.

i dont like anybody experiencing pain, but the way i see it, they were paying US$600 per minute for an 8 hour trip to see a shipwreck while infants die of hunger in sudan.

if you do the math, extending their underwater afventure to the 96 hours until their air runs out lowers thr cost to about US$40 per minute.

winning!

set the function, not the mechanism.

Dark Lightning

I get where you are coming from, believe me. They paid their money and took their chances. Even if I had had that kind of money, I'd pass on that kind of activity, just like taking a many-minute trip into space. Sex is way better, imo.

The Magic Pudding.

Quote from: billy rubin on June 22, 2023, 01:07:12 AMshall i begin with the callous opinion?

i dont give a rats ass whether the billionaires in that adventure tour live or die.

I can't say I'm loosing any sleep over it.

Quote from: billy rubin on June 22, 2023, 01:07:12 AMi dont like anybody experiencing pain, but the way i see it, they were paying US$600 per minute for an 8 hour trip to see a shipwreck while infants die of hunger in sudan.

What does Sudan have to do with anything?
Going too fast you could easily have a motor cycle accident and end up a cripple.
If you did that here you'd go on The National Disability Scheme, get a package with carers to wipe your ass, even though you'd bought it all on yourself. 
Sudan wouldn't be any worse off.
Government has limited money, education always wants more but you'd go to the front of the line.
Billionaire seem to be a fashionable cuss word these days, it seems annoyingly simplistic to me.
Maybe Sudan should drop their religious crap, grow themselves some billionaires so they can feed themselves. Stop being the disaster used by some to admonish anyone with aspirations they don't share.

Asmodean

Quote from: billy rubin on June 22, 2023, 01:07:12 AMi dont give a rats ass whether the billionaires in that adventure tour live or die.
I agree. Play risky games - win an occasional watery grave. They knew what they were getting into, and perhaps even got into at least partly because of that chance of an untimely demise. I take it a step further though, and don't give a earth worm's right testicle about their financial situation either.

Quotei dont like anybody experiencing pain, but the way i see it, they were paying US$600 per minute for an 8 hour trip to see a shipwreck while infants die of hunger in sudan.
So what? I'm pretty sure that you and I both pay for all sorts of things while them Sudanese children starve - some of those things far less necessary than others. Would you feed them your coins in stead? I'm pretty sure all that would do is give them some kind of metal poisoning.
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.

billy rubin

the problem with sudan is longterm international neglect, and warlords.

i am commenting on the all the concerned world attention being given to fat cats who had a n unhsppy end to their three hour cruise while newborn infants in sudanese hospitals starved to death abandoned in their incubators because there was no one there to feed them.

they recieved scant concern on the world stage.

my plan on a motorcycle is to go fast enough that i break into pieces rather than die a cripple

Asmodean

Quote from: billy rubin on June 22, 2023, 12:44:20 PMthe problem with sudan is longterm international neglect, and warlords.
Is it not, in reality, a profound inability to sort out their own problems? Yeah, in that sense they kind-of are like them people in that sub - pretty-much doomed.

Quotei am commenting on the all the concerned world attention being given to fat cats who had a n unhsppy end to their three hour cruise while newborn infants in sudanese hospitals starved to death abandoned in their incubators because there was no one there to feed them.
Because, to put it bluntly, children starving in places like Sudan is not news - they "always" do. True, submarines "always" sink, but then they rather rarely never re-surface. It's new. It's interesting. The faces and names have long-since been put to those on board. There might even be a chance of a hippo hanging from a cliff by a single pubic hair for dragging them from the depths alive. Sudan... Has pretty much none of that.

Give it another day or two, when they are pretty much certain to be dead, and the world will move to the next big thing. Somebody finding the remains of their craft will not be half the news that its disappearance is.
In Asmo's grey lump,
Luxembourg trembles.

billy rubin

my tax dollars are aying for their search and rescue.

Asmodean

Probably mine too, since that bright red DOF vessel is flying our colours. My stock options are certainly paying for it (in a manner) since I have a stake in DOF.

That's OK though. Norway is one of the nations bordering the North Atlantic Ocean, so it's partly for us to do that sort of stuff there.
In Asmo's grey lump,
Luxembourg trembles.

No one

Just sit right back and you'll hear tale, a tale of a fateful trip.

billy rubin

rhe ipoint about how events ike this commnly occur in the third word is one i hear often.  i remember hearing it when 2000 eole were oisoned by an american business in bhopal.  ive heard it when an overcrowded ferry capsizes in bangladesh.

hundreds die. thousands, even. yet observing "thats just the way things go there" ignores the fact that the peasants love their children too.

the fact tbat we allocate millions of dollars and the attention of nations to the  self-inflicted deaths of five rich capitalists while tossing aside hundreds of less important deaths is  indicative of a deeply unjust and particularly abhorrent aspect of my society.

Asmodean

Quote from: billy rubin on June 22, 2023, 02:42:03 PMthe fact tbat we allocate millions of dollars and the attention of nations to the  self-inflicted deaths of five rich capitalists while tossing aside hundreds of less important deaths is  indicative of a deeply unjust and particularly abhorrent aspect of my society.
I don't see it that way. "We" sweep "our own" porch. Ferries in Bangladesh sounds like a Bangladeshi/Indian/Sri Lankan issue to sort out. Now, if a Bangladeshi ferry turns wet side up in the northern part of the Atlantic Ocean, then it's only right and proper that among others my tax coin should go towards the rescue effort, even if it is trying to fish some adrenaline junkie out of the drink.  Conversely, I would have no expectation of being rescued by a Western nation if my dinghy sprung a leak in the middle of the Indian Ocean.
In Asmo's grey lump,
Luxembourg trembles.

billy rubin

no man is an isaland
entire of itsef
but a piece of tbe continent
a parte of tbe main
for if a pebble be washed from the shore of france, is not europe tbe less thereby?

every mans death diminishes me

therefore do not ask for whom tbe bell tolls

it tolls for thee

but dead billionaires in a pringle can do not diminish it all that much

Asmodean

...It was hull loss, by the way. No surprises this time.

I see your Hemingway and raise you Dire Straits;
Quote from: Dire StraitsThere's so many different worlds
So many different suns
And we have just one world
But we live in different ones

Some men are islands. Some nations are, too. The aforementioned Sri Lanka, for instance. Sometimes, there are oceans and other land masses between island and continent alike, and what happens on one such island or continent, need not concern another.

I do not advocate for isolationism - I'm as much against it as I am globalism. You can have friends and family and other meaningful relationships, be both charitable and considerate to them and even their inner circles, and still give not a single toss about the well-being of Steady Eddie, the drunk from three towns over. That doesn't make you an island - just defines the scope of your priorities.
In Asmo's grey lump,
Luxembourg trembles.

No one

This island is uncharted. Natives are hostile, unpleasant undesirables.

Asmodean

North Sentinel Island. It islands like few other islands island. :smilenod:
In Asmo's grey lump,
Luxembourg trembles.