News:

If you have any trouble logging in, please contact admins via email. tankathaf *at* gmail.com or
recusantathaf *at* gmail.com

Main Menu

Family visiting

Started by Chimera, July 15, 2008, 04:33:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chimera

My sister, bro-in-law and niece are coming into town today. They're staying with us for a couple of weeks. My BIL is in the Army and got orders to move to Germany for 3 years, so they're spending their last two weeks in the States with us so they can see all their friends here. It sucks that they're moving so far away, because we'll have to miss my niece's first birthday in September and the birth of their next baby (also a girl) this winter. But I'm happy that we at least get to see them before they take off. Both of the girls will be little ladies next time I see them! Hehehe.

So anyway, I'm excited :D But I probably won't be around much over the next two weeks...seems they get annoyed when I spend too much time on the computer.
"I refuse to believe in a god who is the primary cause of conflict in the world, preaches racism, sexism, homophobia, and ignorance, and then sends me to hell if I’m 'bad.'" â€" Mike Fuhrman

afreethinker30

Sorry to hear they are moving.You should get them a gift of a webcam so you can see them often.That's what we do with my sister and her family.

Chimera

I think they already have one, but if not, that is definitely a great idea!  :banna:
"I refuse to believe in a god who is the primary cause of conflict in the world, preaches racism, sexism, homophobia, and ignorance, and then sends me to hell if I’m 'bad.'" â€" Mike Fuhrman

Asmodean

Don't forget a headset with a microphone so that you can communicate with them verbally while watching them on webcam :D
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.

afreethinker30

Quote from: "Asmodean"Don't forget a headset with a microphone so that you can communicate with them verbally while watching them on webcam :D

Technology rocks!

Jolly Sapper

Quote from: "Chimera"...They're staying with us for a couple of weeks. My BIL is in the Army and got orders to move to Germany for 3 years..

What part of Germany is he headed for?  I was stationed in Bamburg (Bavaria, south eastern state in Germany) and then my antisocial/lazy nature got the better of me and my "sightseeing" went as far as just walking around Bamburg.

Chimera

Quote from: "Jolly Sapper"
Quote from: "Chimera"...They're staying with us for a couple of weeks. My BIL is in the Army and got orders to move to Germany for 3 years..

What part of Germany is he headed for?  I was stationed in Bamburg (Bavaria, south eastern state in Germany) and then my antisocial/lazy nature got the better of me and my "sightseeing" went as far as just walking around Bamburg.

They aren't totally sure yet. They'll either go to Grafenwoehr or Heidelberg.

Anyway, I had a rather interesting "debate" with my sister last night. It started as an explanation on my part of why I can't support religion at all, and how I really do think that the nice, moderate, "normal" religious are, in a large part, the base for the whackos to jump from and that their passive support leads to things like weirdos preaching hellfire and brimstone and flying planes into buildings. She thought that was ridiculous and that the two were totally separate. But then it quickly moved on to the war in Iraq, which I am totally against. Her husband spent a year in Iraq and they firmly believe that we did the right thing going over there and that we should stay as long as it takes to get the job done. (I'm pretty sure the military has brainwashed them.) I told her that the entire premise of the war was based on falsehood, and she came back with two arguments: one, that we did the world a favor in getting Saddam Hussein out of office, and that the Iraqis wanted us over there to do that, and that they're better off now; and two, that politicians lie, there's nothing we can do about it, and we should just suck it up, accept it, and move on. I was totally aghast. I told her I could not accept it, that I had to question and protest, and she all but called me unpatriotic. What ended the debate was her daughter waking up and having a fit. But I just don't know how I can help her see reason. I think she's beyond help.