News:

The default theme for this site has been updated. For further information, please take a look at the announcement regarding HAF changing its default theme.

Main Menu

Lost in translation, *edit* Mythbuster Episode

Started by Jolly Sapper, July 14, 2008, 10:58:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jolly Sapper

Refuted here:
QuoteThe Translation

Below I've included a transliteration of the Lord's Prayer from the Syriac Peshitta with my own translation and notes. I've tried to break things down word by word to clear up any misconceptions, questions or naysaying. This isn't a perfect translation, as no translation is, but I believe that it does a better job outlining things in a more or less comprehensive fashion:...

The blog of an Aramiac translator, with several examples of spurrious tralanslations and his own translation (with a breakdown word by word) as well as his own notes.
http://aramaicdesigns.blogspot.com/2007/06/o-father-mother-birther-of-cosmos.html[/color]

Stolen from here...though pretty it seems to be incorrect.

http://nmazca.com/verba/lord.htm

QuoteThe Lords Prayer translated from Aramaic into English, rather than from Aramaic to Greek to Latin to English

O cosmic Birther of all radiance and vibration!
Soften the ground of our being and
carve out a space within us where
Your Presence can abide.
Fill us with your creativity so that we
may be empowered to bear the fruit
of your mission.
Let each of our actions bear fruit in
accordance with our desire.
Endow us with the wisdom to produce
and share what each being needs to grow and flourish.
Untie the tangled threads of destiny that
bind us, as we release others from the
entanglement of past mistakes.
Do not let us be seduced by that which would
divert us from our true purpose, but illuminate
the opportunities of the present moment.
For you are the round and the fruitful vision,
the birth-power and fulfillment,
as all is gathered and made whole once again.

QuoteThe Lord's Prayer in Late Modern English,
Book of Common Prayer, 1928

Our Father, who art in heaven,
hallowed be thy Name.
Thy kingdom come. Thy will be done,
on Earth as it is in Heaven.
Give us this day our daily bread.
And forgive us our trespasses,
as we forgive those who trespass against us.
And lead us not into temptation,
But deliver us from evil.
For thine is the kingdom, and the power,
and the glory, for ever and ever. Amen.

Will

WHOA. That's a fantastic find! Thanks for posting!
I want bad people to look forward to and celebrate the day I die, because if they don't, I'm not living up to my potential.

susangail

When life gives you lemons, make orange juice and let the world wonder how you did it.

MommaSquid

QuoteThe Lords Prayer translated from Aramaic into English, rather than from Aramaic to Greek to Latin to English

Jolly Sapper

Quote from: "MommaSquid"

*Hopefully I just missed the sarcasm and this isn't coming of as patronizing*  

The Aramaic, Greek, Latin, English is what is generally accepted as the different language jumps the Christian Bible (bible- Greek roots in the work "biblios" meaning, little books*) took to get to where it is today.  With each translation from one major language to another whatever words didn't have direct counterparts in the other language had to be "guessed" at, possibly with some artistic/political bias.  In the end the final/current incarnation winds up like the end of the game "telephone," with the original message a garbled mess.

Go straight from Aramaic to English and the prayer is a far different from what is considered "God's" word  by a large chunk of believers.

susangail

Quote from: "Jolly Sapper"The Aramaic, Greek, Latin, English is what is generally accepted as the different language jumps the Christian Bible (bible- Greek roots in the work "biblios" meaning, little books*) took to get to where it is today.  With each translation from one major language to another whatever words didn't have direct counterparts in the other language had to be "guessed" at, possibly with some artistic/political bias.  In the end the final/current incarnation winds up like the end of the game "telephone," with the original message a garbled mess.

Go straight from Aramaic to English and the prayer is a far different from what is considered "God's" word  by a large chunk of believers.
...and I used to base my life on that book... *shakes head* I've never seen it laid out like that, thank you. That's so ridiculous. I seriously thought this post was a joke at first.
When life gives you lemons, make orange juice and let the world wonder how you did it.

Chimera

So, is that legit? If it is, it's quite beautiful.
"I refuse to believe in a god who is the primary cause of conflict in the world, preaches racism, sexism, homophobia, and ignorance, and then sends me to hell if I’m 'bad.'" â€" Mike Fuhrman

Will

Quote from: "Chimera"So, is that legit? If it is, it's quite beautiful.
My Aramaic is a bit rusty...  :unsure:
I want bad people to look forward to and celebrate the day I die, because if they don't, I'm not living up to my potential.

Jolly Sapper

Quote from: "Chimera"So, is that legit? If it is, it's quite beautiful.

Of this I have absolutely no idea.  I just stumbled across this and figured that if the veracity was in doublt that this would the a good place to see if anybody either questioned or found anything supporting this in their own stumbling around the internet.

Maybe I'll have some time to do some more internet digging on this.

Edit: Wikipedia entry "Lord's Prayer" has an entry and a link to a blog that casts some doubt on the veracity of what I posted in the OP.

http://aramaicdesigns.blogspot.com/2007/06/o-father-mother-birther-of-cosmos.html

Its a bit of a long blog but the end is interesting.

MommaSquid

Quote from: "Jolly Sapper"
Quote from: "MommaSquid"

*Hopefully I just missed the sarcasm and this isn't coming of as patronizing*  

Sorry, Jolly Sapper, but it's all Greek to me.   :D

The difference in the end product is astounding.  The "O cosmic Birther" version is beautifully poetic.

crocofish

Wow.  It sounds more like a "new age" or pagan prayer when translated direct from Aramaic.
"The cloud condenses, and looks back on itself, in wonder." -- unknown

weedoch

I just read through the blog you posted the link for, and this guys translation seems much closer to the one we know. It's a bit of a shame really as I quite liked the more poetic version. The blogger doesn't seem to have any vested interest in keeping to the "traditional" wording and other correspondants seem to agree with him. Still, maybe the big three should go for the better version if they want to claw back some of their lost followers!  ;)