News:

The default theme for this site has been updated. For further information, please take a look at the announcement regarding HAF changing its default theme.

Main Menu

Splinters

Started by Ecurb Noselrub, December 21, 2022, 10:44:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ecurb Noselrub

Just relating my experience. I was helping my son-in-law build a tool shed (for me), and got a splinter in my hand from a 2X4 (a piece of lumber typically used as a "stud" in framing, for those unfamiliar with the term). I could tell it went deep, and I could not get it out with tweezers. My local convenient care clinic could not get it, and the local EMS at the fire station could not, either. I made an appointment at a clinic and they fit me in today. The doctor was great. He said that he loved doing stuff like this - "better than telling people they have Covid and to go home to wait it out". He injected my hand with lidocaine (I still can't feel anything and am typing with one hand), took out a lance and tweezers, and went to work. After about 10 minutes of poking and prodding, he finally latched onto it, and gently pulled it out. Infection had set in, even though I was taking antibiotics, but it felt immediately better. I measured it - exactly one inch long. That is a long splinter.

I had thought about keeping it in and letting my body build a capsule around it. Then I could always say "I've got wood". But the danger of infection made me think otherwise. Feels much better now, even without "wood".

No one

I was going to say, do a solid fir yourself, get your ash to cedar doctor. Though it seems your already working on sprucing up that immune system. Hopefully soon, you'll be cherry.

Dark Lightning

That's a big splinter! I usually let them fester. Once there is enough pus, they are easier to slide out. Can't do that any more; I have a condition where it's going to be easier to get infections and tougher to fight them off.

billy rubin

i dig out my old dissecting kit and cut em out usually, far enough i can get hold of em

havent had a bad one since i left cholla country


Given that most people struggle with legible handwriting already, the added complexity of cursive is an unnecessary burden. It is more practical and efficient to stick to standard print writing.

Recusant

Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on December 21, 2022, 10:44:38 PMJust relating my experience. I was helping my son-in-law build a tool shed (for me), and got a splinter in my hand from a 2X4 (a piece of lumber typically used as a "stud" in framing, for those unfamiliar with the term). I could tell it went deep, and I could not get it out with tweezers. My local convenient care clinic could not get it, and the local EMS at the fire station could not, either. I made an appointment at a clinic and they fit me in today. The doctor was great. He said that he loved doing stuff like this - "better than telling people they have Covid and to go home to wait it out". He injected my hand with lidocaine (I still can't feel anything and am typing with one hand), took out a lance and tweezers, and went to work. After about 10 minutes of poking and prodding, he finally latched onto it, and gently pulled it out. Infection had set in, even though I was taking antibiotics, but it felt immediately better. I measured it - exactly one inch long. That is a long splinter.

I had thought about keeping it in and letting my body build a capsule around it. Then I could always say "I've got wood". But the danger of infection made me think otherwise. Feels much better now, even without "wood".

I've been using the "Uncle Bill's Sliver Gripper" for over 20 years, and it does a fine job. Sounds like the butt of your inch-long monster was broken off pretty deep, though.
"Religion is fundamentally opposed to everything I hold in veneration — courage, clear thinking, honesty, fairness, and above all, love of the truth."
— H. L. Mencken


Recusant

Quote from: No one on December 21, 2022, 11:27:55 PMI was going to say, do a solid fir yourself, get your ash to cedar doctor. Though it seems your already working on sprucing up that immune system. Hopefully soon, you'll be cherry.

That is some impressive woodworking.  :thumbsup2:
"Religion is fundamentally opposed to everything I hold in veneration — courage, clear thinking, honesty, fairness, and above all, love of the truth."
— H. L. Mencken


Dark Lightning

Wooden give up his daytime job for standup comedy, though. :D

No one

I have my face for that.

hermes2015

Quote from: Dark Lightning on December 23, 2022, 12:34:40 AMWooden give up his daytime job for standup comedy, though. :D

No, the Planck Institute pays him well.
"Eventually everything connects - people, ideas, objects. The quality of the connections is the key to quality per se."
― Charles Eames

Dark Lightning

Quote from: hermes2015 on December 23, 2022, 02:44:10 AM
Quote from: Dark Lightning on December 23, 2022, 12:34:40 AMWooden give up his daytime job for standup comedy, though. :D

No, the Planck Institute pays him well.

I'm pining for some of that money.

The Magic Pudding.

By gum I don't like all this punning, just wait till Asmo gets here.
Wattle he do?
I'm not sure, but in the old days bloodwood flow, or all wood be reduced to ash.

No one

Awl in awl, it's the whittle things that keep me from being board.

billy rubin

do you all have to do
this?

just sayin


Given that most people struggle with legible handwriting already, the added complexity of cursive is an unnecessary burden. It is more practical and efficient to stick to standard print writing.

No one

Don't be a square, where just plane around.

Ecurb Noselrub

I'm Oak-Hay now. Thanks.