News:

Departing the Vacuousness

Main Menu

RIP Roe v. Wade

Started by Ecurb Noselrub, June 28, 2022, 01:01:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bluenose

Quote from: Recusant on September 14, 2022, 10:00:33 PMJust a place-holder. He asked for quick action. Staff discussion may revise, very likely upward.

I know I'm not staff here, but if I was in a position to express an opinion, it would be that GCB has earned a permanent holiday from this forum for being more than a little bit rude and disrespectful to one of our nicest members.
+++ Divide by cucumber error: please reinstall universe and reboot.  +++

GNU Terry Pratchett

Asmodean

Some people just can't ever learn how to The Asmo properly.

There are ways of being blunt and controversial to the point of rudeness and beyond even, and of wearing one's unpopular opinions like precious jewelry on occasion, while contributing to healthy discussion. As per The Gray Tome, the commandments are;

- It's good to be wrong sometimes... Or so The Asmo has been told. It's equally healthy to just not know.
- Ideas are fair game. People supporting or opposing them are not.
- Facts don't care about feelings, nor do opinions. However, people do care about feelings - in emotional ways. Expect it. Don't abuse it. (As in, if you claim to talk about facts, then don't try to stir up an emotional response - though I'd say don't specifically avoid it either.)
- If your opponent has resorted to using the word "you," directly or otherwise, in every second sentence while your argument is yet incomplete, they are likely suffering from two points down. Know when to hold them.
- If the opposing side has measurably better arguments, or your stated position is one from personal preference while theirs is demonstrable and/or measurable, know when to fold them.
- If you've run out of arguments but your position is still under siege - know when to walk away.
- If real, identifiable people's real lives and livelihoods become ammunition in some Internet drama, know when to run.

I also subscribe to precise wording whenever it matters and I can comply. When not, the associated Asmoic commandment would be something like; when misunderstood, explain. Again and again, and as well as you can.
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.

Magdalena

Quote from: billy rubin on September 15, 2022, 10:18:11 AMwiggle your fingertips and let the bad energy run off and return to irs source

Yes.
It is time to burn some god damn serious amount of sage...or something.

;D

"I've had several "spiritual" or numinous experiences over the years, but never felt that they were the product of anything but the workings of my own mind in reaction to the universe." ~Recusant

Magdalena

Quote from: Asmodean on September 15, 2022, 10:23:33 AM
Quote from: Magdalena on September 15, 2022, 07:48:42 AM—He did say, "We naturally seek an alpha to emulate."
Yeah, I found that kind-of strange... But also possibly telling.

True.
I wouldn't be surprised to hear that he's an Andrew Tate fan.
:reading:

("Influencer" He got banned from Facebook, Instagram, and TikTok already for misogyny and other things).

"I've had several "spiritual" or numinous experiences over the years, but never felt that they were the product of anything but the workings of my own mind in reaction to the universe." ~Recusant

Magdalena

Quote from: Bluenose on September 15, 2022, 11:30:06 AM
Quote from: Recusant on September 14, 2022, 10:00:33 PMJust a place-holder. He asked for quick action. Staff discussion may revise, very likely upward.

I know I'm not staff here, but if I was in a position to express an opinion, it would be that GCB has earned a permanent holiday from this forum for being more than a little bit rude and disrespectful to one of our nicest members.

Thanks, Bluenose, that's nice of you to say, but I don't consider myself the nicest member here. There are others who are a lot nicer than me.

It's true, he was more than a little bit rude and disrespectful to me, but what bothered me the most was the rude, disrespectful and condescending way he spoke to billy rubin after he said he didn't seek an alpha to emulate.

He walked in here kicking chairs and knocking down tables, chest-thumping... Looked around and found the most ferocious one to attack —a butterfly.

Very alpha of him. ;D

Magdalena

Quote from: Asmodean on September 15, 2022, 12:14:53 PMSome people just can't ever learn how to The Asmo properly.

There are ways of being blunt and controversial to the point of rudeness and beyond even, and of wearing one's unpopular opinions like precious jewelry on occasion, while contributing to healthy discussion. As per The Gray Tome, the commandments are;

- It's good to be wrong sometimes... Or so The Asmo has been told. It's equally healthy to just not know.
- Ideas are fair game. People supporting or opposing them are not.
- Facts don't care about feelings, nor do opinions. However, people do care about feelings - in emotional ways. Expect it. Don't abuse it. (As in, if you claim to talk about facts, then don't try to stir up an emotional response - though I'd say don't specifically avoid it either.)
- If your opponent has resorted to using the word "you," directly or otherwise, in every second sentence while your argument is yet incomplete, they are likely suffering from two points down. Know when to hold them.
- If the opposing side has measurably better arguments, or your stated position is one from personal preference while theirs is demonstrable and/or measurable, know when to fold them.
- If you've run out of arguments but your position is still under siege - know when to walk away.
- If real, identifiable people's real lives and livelihoods become ammunition in some Internet drama, know when to run.

I also subscribe to precise wording whenever it matters and I can comply. When not, the associated Asmoic commandment would be something like; when misunderstood, explain. Again and again, and as well as you can.

:notes:
Got it.

Asmodean

Being able to The Asmo at need is a useful skill. :smilenod:
In Asmo's grey lump,
Luxembourg trembles.

Ecurb Noselrub

I think he is keeping score somewhere, how many times he gets banned. Strange communication style.

billy rubin

Quote from: Magdalena on September 15, 2022, 04:08:16 PMit rude and disrespectful to me, but what bothered me the most was the rude, disrespectful and condescending way he spoke to billy rubin after he said he didn't seek an alpha to emulate.

lol

magdalena, i have a skin thicker than a spotted hyenas, when its appropriate.

to be insulted by someone, you first have to respect tbeir opinion of you. im sufficiently arrogant not to be bothered.

even so it appears that dl's self immolation was purposeful. i imagine hes running out of venues by this time tho

News has been received from the Punjab that the Amritsar mob has again broken out in a violent attack against the authorities. The rebels were repulsed by the military and they suffered 200 casualties.

Icarus

Relax Mags. You are far and away ahead of the game here. You may sometimes succumb to an emotional state but one of the things that you are definitely not, is stupid.

As far as I am concerned, your accuser can go fuck himself!

Apologies for the outburst, Recusant and other administrators,...Can't help it. Mags is my virtual sister.

Magdalena

Quote from: billy rubin on September 16, 2022, 12:13:33 AM
Quote from: Magdalena on September 15, 2022, 04:08:16 PMit rude and disrespectful to me, but what bothered me the most was the rude, disrespectful and condescending way he spoke to billy rubin after he said he didn't seek an alpha to emulate.

lol

magdalena, I have a skin thicker than a spotted hyenas, when it's appropriate.

to be insulted by someone, you first have to respect tbeir opinion of you. im sufficiently arrogant not to be bothered.

even so it appears that dl's self immolation was purposeful. I imagine he's running out of venues by this time tho

I'm glad I made you laugh. ;D

When I said, "There are others who are a lot nicer than me." I was referring to you. I know that someone who has skin thicker than a spotted hyena, such as yourself,  doesn't need to be defended, especially by a butterfly. ;)

I agree with you, "To be insulted by someone, you first have to respect tbeir opinion of you." No one here was offended. He's not worth it. I just don't like his "style" and I had to say it.

Besides, sad but true, I enjoy lighting a short fuse.
—It's fun to light it and watch it explode in seconds.

~Evil, I know.

Magdalena

Quote from: Icarus on September 16, 2022, 03:52:49 AMRelax Mags. You are far and away ahead of the game here. You may sometimes succumb to an emotional state but one of the things that you are definitely not, is stupid.

As far as I am concerned, your accuser can go fuck himself!

Apologies for the outburst, Recusant and other administrators,...Can't help it. Mags is my virtual sister.

Thank you, Icarus.

According to him, I'm not just stupid, I also have poor communication skills.  :reading:
—Man! Talk about The Wrong Stuff!

I'm surprised he didn't say, "...You're ugly. And your momma dresses you funny." As well.
 ::)

Let it go, Mags...Let it go... :levitate:

Live long and prosper, my virtual brother.
 :spock:

Asmodean

Quote from: billy rubin on September 16, 2022, 12:13:33 AMim sufficiently arrogant not to be bothered.
What a glorious way of putting it! The Asmo claims it for The Asmo's future needs in talking about The Asmo - the chiefest among The Asmo's favourite subjects.  ;D
In Asmo's grey lump,
Luxembourg trembles.