News:

In case of downtime/other tech emergencies, you can relatively quickly get in touch with Asmodean Prime by email.

Main Menu

You choose...

Started by Tank, March 01, 2022, 09:26:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Biggus Dickus

Agility...the usefulness of strength is a Rambonian myth!

Fiddle or Violin
"Some people just need a high-five. In the face. With a chair."

Bluenose

violin, but that is probably due to the large preponderance of beautiful classic music featuring violin compared to the relatively smaller selection to choose from of excellent folk/hillbilly/etc music that features the fiddle.

bagpipes or banjo
+++ Divide by cucumber error: please reinstall universe and reboot.  +++

GNU Terry Pratchett

Dark Lightning

Banjo, though bagpipes can be used to good musical effect. BTW, a "fiddle" is usually a violin.

Drums or rocks?

Tom62

Rocks, to throw at people who play bagpipes ;)

Dark or lighter chocolate?
The universe never did make sense; I suspect it was built on government contract.
Robert A. Heinlein

Biggus Dickus

Quote from: Dark Lightning on March 23, 2022, 02:53:10 AM
Banjo, though bagpipes can be used to good musical effect. BTW, a "fiddle" is usually a violin.

Drums or rocks?

Sorry to interrupt everyone, but I wanted to insert that yes, fiddles and violins are the exact same instruments which are simply played in different styles. However. Some instruments are expressly designed for fiddling as opposed to classical playing. Such instruments often have a flatter bridge, which brings the strings slightly closer to the fingerboard. This makes certain fiddle techniques, like rapid string crossings and chording, more manageable, but even after all of that it's still technically a violin.
Many violinists will affectionately refer to their instrument as their fiddle, as the meaning of the word will simply be specific to the person speaking it, and refers to the style style of music performed by the player.
I posted a good video in the What are You Listening to thread which hi-lights this difference.

Please continue as you were 8)

billy rubin

set the function, not the mechanism.

Bluenose

Thank you Papasito Bruno, I knew that, I thought the choice was regarding which style I prefer.  LOL

Back to the job at hand

Quote from: Tom62 on March 23, 2022, 06:04:43 AM

Dark, the darker the better

Bolognaise or chilli con carne?
+++ Divide by cucumber error: please reinstall universe and reboot.  +++

GNU Terry Pratchett

Dark Lightning

Quote from: Bluenose on March 24, 2022, 12:52:50 AM
Thank you Papasito Bruno, I knew that, I thought the choice was regarding which style I prefer.  LOL

Back to the job at hand

Quote from: Tom62 on March 23, 2022, 06:04:43 AM

Dark, the darker the better

Bolognaise or chilli con carne?

Neither. It turns out that I can't handle tomatoes or onions in my gut. I has disappoint, but my guts are better off...a lot less reflux.

Ford or Chevy?

billy rubin

chevy.  i love the small block V8. put one in my 50 hudson, had another in a 70 impala. easy simple motor.

on the other hand i like the old ford flatheads too, but never owned one.

trains or planes?

set the function, not the mechanism.

Biggus Dickus

Quote from: billy rubin on March 24, 2022, 11:37:20 AM
chevy.  i love the small block V8. put one in my 50 hudson, had another in a 70 impala. easy simple motor.

on the other hand i like the old ford flatheads too, but never owned one.

trains or planes?
I prefer to travel by plane due to the quickness of a flight, but I have been thinking lately of taking a nice long train ride somewhere.
When I was a young man I used to travel by train often from Detroit to Toronto or Chicago with friends and partners. We would spend most of our time in the bar car drinking,...usually we would be quite tipsy when we got to our location.  ;D
When I was a kid my family went on a long train ride through the Canadian Rockies, and I loved it...one of the best vacations of my youth, sigh...

Also, when I was in the Army and stationed at Fort Lee, VA I occasionally took short train rides as I didn't have a car at the time. I really enjoyed just sitting, and watching the world go buy while listening to music and reading a good book.

A long train ride right now sounds quite nice and relaxing.

Forest hike or canoe down a river? (2-3 day trip)

Tom62

I'll take the forest hike for now because I love to hike and am a lousy canoer.

Trip to Japan or Maldives?
The universe never did make sense; I suspect it was built on government contract.
Robert A. Heinlein

Ecurb Noselrub

Japan. Gotta see Mt. Fuji before I die.

I'm in Santa Fe at a seminar.  The City Different.  So,

Santa Fe or Sedona?

Biggus Dickus

I haven't been to either place, but would one day like to visit both. If I have to choose one over the other I have no clue which would be better so I did a quick search, and found the exact same question on "Fodor's Travel Talk Forums"
After reading the responses I choose Sedona because of the red rocks.

A large, and well stocked library or a large, and well stocked vinyl record collection?

Ecurb Noselrub

A well-stocked library, in which I also keep my well-stocked collection of vinyl.

You are somewhere in Mid-America. You want to take an actual road trip in a car (assume you have plenty of money for gas and a car that will make it). Where will you go: West Coast or East Coast?

Icarus

The Oregon coast is spectacular. Worth the effort to go there and explore the scenery.  Not my thing however. Being a flatlander, I would enjoy the east coast places more than the west coast. I can be happy in unspectacular places like the South Carolina salt marshes.

The bread for grilled cheese sandwiches can be coated with butter after toasting then placed in the micro to melt the cheese between the two slices.   An alternative system is to coat the bread with mayonnaise and brown it in a skillet. Then add the cheese between slices, cover with the skillet lid and melt the cheese.

Which way? butter or Mayonnaise?