Started by Recusant, February 01, 2022, 05:45:22 AM
QuoteThe last thing most people will now remember about Pope Benedict XVI is not likely his legacy as head of the Roman Catholic Church or his historic resignation in 2013.Thanks to an investigation conducted by the German law firm Westpfahl Spilker Wastl, it is likely going to be that before he became pontiff, Joseph Ratzinger knowingly allowed rampant clerical sex abuse to continue when he was head of the Munich diocese. "During [Ratzinger's] time in office, there were abuse cases happening," Martin Pusch, who headed the investigation ordered by the German church, told reporters. "In those cases, those priests continued their work without sanctions. The church did not do anything."That global systemic sex abuse at the hands of priests went on unchecked for decades is well known by now. The German church had found that more than 3,600 victims had been raped and sexually abused by priests between 1946 and 2014, which led to the report.What makes this case so important is that Ratzinger, before he became pope, also led the Holy See Congregation for the Doctrine of the Faith, the Catholic Church's watchdog on policy. He was appointed to that position after his work in the German church, which is now clearly under question. Many victims of sexual abuse have long thought he did not do enough when he was head of the church's doctrine office, which could have stopped the abuse from happening from the top, rather than ignoring reports.[Continues . . .]
QuoteThe retired Pope Benedict XVI has come forward with an unusual confession. Rather than sticking with a highly contested denial that he knew nothing about the scores of predatory priests who were moved around German parishes when he was in charge of the Munich diocese, he now says he did know about at least one of them.In a statement issued over the weekend first to German media outlets and then to the Catholic News Agency, Benedict's personal secretary Georg Gänswein sought to correct the record for the ailing ex-pontiff.Gänswein admitted that Benedict did tell independent investigators hired by the German Catholic Church that he had no recollection of his proven attendance at a hearing about Father Peter Hullermann, a priest accused of abusing at least 23 boys aged 8 to 16. Gänswein says Benedict "would now like to make it clear that, contrary to what was stated during the hearing, he took part in the ordinariate meeting on Jan. 15, 1980." Hullermann went on to allegedly abuse children until he was finally pulled from active priesthood in 2010."The statement to the contrary was therefore objectively incorrect," Gänswein said in a statement about what the former pope told investigators. "He would like to emphasize that this was not done out of bad faith, but was the result of an error in the editing of his statement. He will explain how this came about in the pending statement. He is very sorry for this mistake and asks for this mistake to be excused."[Continues . . .]
Quote from: billy rubin on February 04, 2022, 03:51:33 PMtobacco road!with ellie may seductively scooting across the dooryard on her bottom!