News:

When one conveys certain things, particularly of such gravity, should one not then appropriately cite sources, authorities...

Main Menu

Tattoos

Started by xSilverPhinx, May 26, 2019, 03:44:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

xSilverPhinx

I know there's an older thread on tattoos here but decided to start a new one.  :D

-~-

So I got a couple of tattoos on my shoulder yesterday. Brain-related, of course.  ;D

A neuron (front):

I asked the tattoo artist to design something that did not look like it was taken out of a textbook. I don't consider myself to be a textbook so... :P

Hieroglyphs (shoulder blade):

(No, it's not anyone's name. ;) )

This I got from a textbook (specifically's Kandel's 'Principles of Neuroscience') where there's an image of the oldest written record of the word 'brain', taken from an Egyptian papyrus dating back some 3000 years or so. These hieroglyphs are that word.   8)

I thought the idea was awesome and fell in love with it instantly.

-~-

What about you? Got any? Would like to get any? Talk about them here!
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

jumbojak

Nothing is showing up. A bold choice...

I don't have any and don't think they would suit me very well. The men in my family are EXTREMELY hairy, so not only would I have to shave to get a tattoo but it would quickly be covered up unless it was on my wrist, ankle, or face.

"Amazing what chimney sweeping can teach us, no? Keep your fire hot and
your flue clean."  - Ecurb Noselrub

"I'd be incensed by your impudence were I not so impressed by your memory." - Siz

Magdalena

Those are nice xSilverPhinx:tellmemore:

I don't have any but I think one day I'll get me one or two or fifteen of them.  :smilenod:

"I've had several "spiritual" or numinous experiences over the years, but never felt that they were the product of anything but the workings of my own mind in reaction to the universe." ~Recusant

jumbojak

Now that the images are showing up that neuron is very nicely done. The level of detail is much better than what you typically see.

"I'd be incensed by your impudence were I not so impressed by your memory." - Siz

No one

I have 17.

5 on my left arm.
5 on my right arm.
3 on my back.
2 on my chest.
1 on my right leg.
1 on the left side of my neck.

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: jumbojak on May 26, 2019, 06:02:03 PM

I don't have any and don't think they would suit me very well. The men in my family are EXTREMELY hairy, so not only would I have to shave to get a tattoo but it would quickly be covered up unless it was on my wrist, ankle, or face.

What kind of design would you go for if you ever chose to get one?

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: Magdalena on May 26, 2019, 06:46:58 PM
Those are nice xSilverPhinx:tellmemore:

I don't have any but I think one day I'll get me one or two or fifteen of them.  :smilenod:

Aren't they?  ;D

:lol: I'm already thinking about what to get next. Why stop at two or fifteen? :grin: When I was an undergrad I really wanted this:

Taken from Charles Darwin's notebook, it's a genealogical tree in which all branches are connected to a common ancestor. I like that he wrote 'I think' next to it, like the idea is still evolving itself in his mind. An extremely powerful image.

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: jumbojak on May 26, 2019, 06:52:25 PM
Now that the images are showing up that neuron is very nicely done. The level of detail is much better than what you typically see.

Yes, I love it :grin:

It looks a bit like a mix between a neuron and an astrocyte, but I thought it was very interesting.

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: No one on May 26, 2019, 07:09:28 PM
I have 17.

5 on my left arm.
5 on my right arm.
3 on my back.
2 on my chest.
1 on my right leg.
1 on the left side of my neck.

Cool. :tellmemore:

You have two sleeves? Half sleeves? Or are they more like isolated tattoos?

jumbojak

Quote from: xSilverPhinx on May 26, 2019, 07:52:01 PM

Paw prints would be cool. Maybe a dog of some sort. Possibly a stylized bear. No wait, two teddy bears cuddling, just to mess with people who get to see it!

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: jumbojak on May 26, 2019, 08:19:11 PM
Quote from: xSilverPhinx on May 26, 2019, 07:52:01 PM

Paw prints would be cool. Maybe a dog of some sort. Possibly a stylized bear. No wait, two teddy bears cuddling, just to mess with people who get to see it!

:lol:

jumbojak

You laugh but I'm seriously considering it now. Maybe a stylized Ganesh on the other shoulder.

No one

They are isolated. The kanji symbol for wicked, a few skulls, the Marines eagle, globe, and anchor. The Sock and Buskin.

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: jumbojak on May 26, 2019, 08:50:24 PM
You laugh but I'm seriously considering it now. Maybe a stylized Ganesh on the other shoulder.

Uh oh :worried:

;D

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: No one on May 26, 2019, 08:51:01 PM
They are isolated. The kanji symbol for wicked, a few skulls, the Marines eagle, globe, and anchor. The Sock and Buskin.

Sounds like they're cool tattoos, especially the kanji symbol.  8)