News:

Actually sport it is a narrative

Main Menu

Archie

Started by Ecurb Noselrub, May 08, 2019, 05:31:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ecurb Noselrub

Harry and Meghan's new baby boy has been named Archie.  Perhaps future siblings will be Betty, Veronica and Jug Head.  Anyway, congrats, H&M.

Dark Lightning

Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on May 08, 2019, 05:31:50 PM
Harry and Meghan's new baby boy has been named Archie.  Perhaps future siblings will be Betty, Veronica and Jug Head.  Anyway, congrats, H&M.

Were I a member of said empire, I'd be a republican, if I understand the terminology properly. The royals are riding on what an ancestor did, hundreds of years ago. My attitude might stem from my impoverished upbringing and a sense of there being a fairer world possible. :shrug: By the same token, seeing Ronald Reagan kneel for another head of state to be knighted just sets me off. I wouldn't kneel for anyone, unless I was forced to the position. I won't do it for an alleged omnipotent "god", I sure as shit won't do it for a fallible peop. Felicitations for their newborn, though! A healthy baby is always a good thing. ;D

Magdalena

Well, I just want to say congratulations to the parents, and to Archie, welcome to the world.
;D

"I've had several "spiritual" or numinous experiences over the years, but never felt that they were the product of anything but the workings of my own mind in reaction to the universe." ~Recusant

Sandra Craft

I'm tempted to say "that poor kid", but I guess Archie isn't as bad a name there as here.  I was thinking maybe it was short for Archibald, but nope: Archie Harrison Mountbatten-Windsor. 

He seems to be light a few names of the dozen royals are usually given, or is that only for kids in the most direct line of descent, and why so many names anyway?  I ask a Brit.
Sandy

"Life is short, and it is up to you to make it sweet."  Sarah Louise Delany

Tank

Quote from: Dark Lightning on May 09, 2019, 03:08:30 AM

Were I a member of said empire, I'd be a republican, if I understand the terminology properly. The royals are riding on what an ancestor did, hundreds of years ago. My attitude might stem from my impoverished upbringing and a sense of there being a fairer world possible. :shrug: By the same token, seeing Ronald Reagan kneel for another head of state to be knighted just sets me off. I wouldn't kneel for anyone, unless I was forced to the position. I won't do it for an alleged omnipotent "god", I sure as shit won't do it for a fallible peop. Felicitations for their newborn, though! A healthy baby is always a good thing. ;D

I am torn about the Royal Family. My natural instinct is that of a republican. However, the Royal Family are living history. They look after our physical history in the shape of castles, palaces and houses. They attract a huge amount of money in the shape of tourism. The Queen is a tremendous asset and if we do leave the EU a fantastic way to get heads of state to visit the UK etc. So I am torn. Charles has also cut back the civil list (the posh knobs paid for by the state) to effectively immediate family and they must take on royal duties to remain on the list. So I can see the downside of inherited privilege but also the upside of the tourism and historical continuity.
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

xSilverPhinx

My thoughts as well. Nothing against the newborn baby, but I don't see the point of celebrating someone just because of the influential family they're part of. I'll do that for a baby born of my family, or the family of a friend. Not for the baby of a celebrity.

I'm really into the whole meritocracy thing, flawed as it is. People from the British royal family are in a unique position to positively affect the world, like princess Diana did, so maybe her grandchildren will as well. Then it would seem more natural to celebrate their achievements.
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

xSilverPhinx

I got that reference! :lol:

Ecurb Noselrub

Quote from: Tank on May 09, 2019, 08:02:34 AM

I am torn about the Royal Family. My natural instinct is that of a republican. However, the Royal Family are living history. They look after our physical history in the shape of castles, palaces and houses. They attract a huge amount of money in the shape of tourism. The Queen is a tremendous asset and if we do leave the EU a fantastic way to get heads of state to visit the UK etc. So I am torn. Charles has also cut back the civil list (the posh knobs paid for by the state) to effectively immediate family and they must take on royal duties to remain on the list. So I can see the downside of inherited privilege but also the upside of the tourism and historical continuity.

If I were a Brit I would embrace the Royals for the history/permanency/tradition aspect of it.  Plus, it's fun.  They are harmless - they don't have any power and they are a BIG tourist draw - I suspect enough income production to offset their lifestyle expense.  Besides, Her Majesty is a pretty nice girl, but she doesn't have a lot to say.

Essie Mae

Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on May 09, 2019, 05:11:32 PM
Quote from: Tank on May 09, 2019, 08:02:34 AM

If I were a Brit I would embrace the Royals for the history/permanency/tradition aspect of it.  Plus, it's fun.  They are harmless - they don't have any power and they are a BIG tourist draw - I suspect enough income production to offset their lifestyle expense.  Besides, Her Majesty is a pretty nice girl, but she doesn't have a lot to say.

Same as you Tank. Curtsying would be something I don't think I could do, but they do give a tremendous amount of pleasure to people. There was huge excitement when Princess Anne visited Great Ormond Street Children's Hospital a few years ago and the staff were delighted with the effect on the seriously ill children. And she is not the most popular royal. It's good to see some diversity in the family and I wish the new baby well.
Hell is empty and all the devils are here. Wm Shakespeare

Sandra Craft

Quote from: Essie Mae on May 09, 2019, 05:59:38 PM
Curtsying would be something I don't think I could do . . .

Question:  what if you literally can't curtsy, if your knees just can't bend enough to keep you from doing a faceplant -- which I'm sure nobody wants, including the Queen.  There must be some alternative in place.
Sandy

Tank

Quote from: Sandra Craft on May 09, 2019, 06:23:18 PM

Question:  what if you literally can't curtsy, if your knees just can't bend enough to keep you from doing a faceplant -- which I'm sure nobody wants, including the Queen.  There must be some alternative in place.

You don't do it. If you have told somebody before then the Queen will know. And if you haven't told them she won't bat an eye. QEII does not do public hissy fits.
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: Tank on May 09, 2019, 08:35:16 PM

You don't do it. If you have told somebody before then the Queen will know. And if you haven't told them she won't bat an eye. QEII does not do public hissy fits.

True, she always looks dignified, even when people break protocol such as Trump when he walked in front of her. 

Sandra Craft

And I admire her for that, but I was thinking there must be some alternative -- a gesture of some sort a non-knelling person could make.  Not a salute (the military probably own that) but something of that nature.  Or perhaps a deep inclination of the head?
Sandy

Magdalena

Quote from: Sandra Craft on May 10, 2019, 03:44:20 AM

And I admire her for that, but I was thinking there must be some alternative -- a gesture of some sort a non-knelling person could make.  Not a salute (the military probably own that) but something of that nature.  Or perhaps a deep inclination of the head?
A deep inclination of the head?  :notsure:

Mr Bean Headbuts The Queen

"I've had several "spiritual" or numinous experiences over the years, but never felt that they were the product of anything but the workings of my own mind in reaction to the universe." ~Recusant

hermes2015

:lol:
I love that sketch.
"Eventually everything connects - people, ideas, objects. The quality of the connections is the key to quality per se."
― Charles Eames