News:

Departing the Vacuousness

Main Menu

A conversation with my sister

Started by EvolutionCalling, June 29, 2008, 02:09:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

EvolutionCalling

I received this MySpace message from my sister this morning:

I've noticed that you are anti-God...what's going on with you?    What do you think about me and my family? We are believers in Christ.  Honestly, I would like your opinion. I am truly saddened that you are so against God.   What has happened in your life that has made you so antagonistic?  It doesn't matter what your reply is...you are my brother and i will always love you...regardless of what you think about Jesus.

Love ya,
Stacey

My reply:

I've noticed that you are pro-God...what's going on with you?    What do you think about me and my Amy? We are believers in Science.  Honestly, I would like your opinion. I am truly saddened that you are so against Rational Thought.   What has happened in your life that has made you such a sheep?  It doesn't matter what your reply is...you are my sister and i will always love you...regardless of what you think about Darwin.

Love ya,
Brandon

jcm

Quote from: "EvolutionCalling"I received this MySpace message from my sister this morning:

I've noticed that you are anti-God...what's going on with you?    What do you think about me and my family? We are believers in Christ.  Honestly, I would like your opinion. I am truly saddened that you are so against God.   What has happened in your life that has made you so antagonistic?  It doesn't matter what your reply is...you are my brother and i will always love you...regardless of what you think about Jesus.

Love ya,
Stacey

My reply:

I've noticed that you are pro-God...what's going on with you?    What do you think about me and my Amy? We are believers in Science.  Honestly, I would like your opinion. I am truly saddened that you are so against Rational Thought.   What has happened in your life that has made you such a sheep?  It doesn't matter what your reply is...you are my sister and i will always love you...regardless of what you think about Darwin.

Love ya,
Brandon

well it is nice at least. i've heard some pretty nasty stuff said to family members about their beliefs. remind her that if god wants you to worship him then you will one day, if not then that is what he wanted too.
For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring. -cs

EvolutionCalling

It's false niceness.  Believe me.  You'd have to know her, but I can just hear the condescending tone in this.  She hasn't talked to me in months, and then I get this.  She is gearing up for her crusade.

:pop:

jcm

Quote from: "EvolutionCalling"She is gearing up for her crusade.

:pop:
For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring. -cs

EvolutionCalling

Heh.  I'll be getting a call from my mom soon wanting to know why I am starting fights with her.  Never mind that we are both grown adults, she will still tell on me.  :lol:

Dreamer

i am constantly reminded of how lucky i am that my family and most of my friends are atheists. i am sorry for people that are put in an awkward position between wanting to follow rational thought and at the same time have to turn away from what their family stand for and at some times are even ostracized by their loved ones because of that.
i am sorry that your sister has such a low opinion of atheism. but i admire you for standing by what is right for you. i'd be interested to see what she answers to your clever message. do keep us posted, if you feel like it. and good luck to you.
*You may say I'm a dreamer, but I'm not the only one...*

*I may not agree with what you are saying but i will defend to my death your right to say it*

*You never ask questions, when God's on your side*

Steve Reason

Great reply. Like most Christians, she'll probably never understand that you're perfectly happy and not "against God", or "lost" and such nonsense. They're forced fed the belief that everyone is searching, and that you're lost if you aren't a Jesus sheep. Fortunately my brother is agnostic, so I don't have to worry about such things from him. He's a jackass on a short trip to the boneyard, but that's another story.  :lol:
I do not fear death, in view of the fact that I had been dead for billions and billions of years before I was born, and had not suffered the slightest inconvenience from it. ~ Mark Twain

http://rumtickle.blogspot.com/

Dreamer

how can you be against something that doesn't even exist? ask her if she's against the big bad wolf in red riding hood. :D
*You may say I'm a dreamer, but I'm not the only one...*

*I may not agree with what you are saying but i will defend to my death your right to say it*

*You never ask questions, when God's on your side*

nikkixsugar

Quote from: "EvolutionCalling"I received this MySpace message from my sister this morning:

Love ya,
Stacey

My reply:

Love ya,
Brandon

Great response!
Hate to tell you, but.....

Sorry but you are not allowed to view spoiler contents.

leftyguitarjoe

Excellent response!! haha!!

Very clever :D

Will

My brother's just as rational as I am, and I'm very fortunate that's the case. I don't know if I could take him berating me with fundamentalism.

Interesting response, but is she a fundamentalist (creationist)?
I want bad people to look forward to and celebrate the day I die, because if they don't, I'm not living up to my potential.

susangail

Great response! I'd never ever have the guts to give that sort of reply to one of my family members. Kudos to you! Has she replied back?
Quote from: "EvolutionCalling"It's false niceness.  Believe me.  You'd have to know her, but I can just hear the condescending tone in this.  She hasn't talked to me in months, and then I get this.  She is gearing up for her crusade.
I know exactly what "false niceness" you are talking about. I get that from my dad. Prepare yourself for the storm is all I can say.
When life gives you lemons, make orange juice and let the world wonder how you did it.

Loffler

As a passive aggressive, I can't say I see what the fuss is about. Religion is her hobby, not ours. In fact, you could draw this out and simply ask "Is there something you want to tell me about Jesus?" Then just ask the questions as they come.

A response I like to give when people ask why I hate God or am antagonistic:
"I like God just fine. Frankly I think people are too hard on Him. It's not His fault He doesn't exist."

Chimera

Love ya,
Stacey

My reply:

Love ya,
Brandon

Wow. I love that.  :D
"I refuse to believe in a god who is the primary cause of conflict in the world, preaches racism, sexism, homophobia, and ignorance, and then sends me to hell if I’m 'bad.'" â€" Mike Fuhrman

McQ

Brandon, I like your response. I have a brother who is a fundy catholic (yeah, there are plenty of them around). He prays for me all the time. I figure, why not? It burns calories for him to think and pray, so I'm doing my bit to help him stay healthy.  ;)

When people think they know what is best for you, they are just going to keep at you until they get too angry to take it, and then they will usually go away. Or they will pretend to love you, but secretly despise you and go away. Either way, you win because they go away. As flippant as my post seems, I've found that to happen fairly regularly with people like your sis and my bro.

I hope you keep us posted on your e-conversation with her.
Elvis didn't do no drugs!
--Penn Jillette