Unnecessarily argumentative

Main Menu

Objects of Desire

Started by hermes2015, April 04, 2018, 07:43:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dave

Quote from: hermes2015 on April 09, 2018, 01:22:17 PM
Quote from: Dave on April 09, 2018, 01:08:40 PM
Yes, nice to see quality. I would love to see the processes used in the first models.

That was one of the very interesting ways that Charles and Ray Eames worked. They did not just draw designs and make pretty models. They actually got their hands dirty and designed the machinery used in the final production step as well.

But did they have lasers and CNC routers in those early days? Or was it a template/pattern from the final design model?

One of the videos does show a woman marking out the leather and cutting it by hand.

But, pfft, CNC router or by hand round a template is a mere detail really - the attention to detail and the hand finishing gives the quality.
Tomorrow is precious, don't ruin it by fouling up today.
Passed Monday 10th Dec 2018 age 74

hermes2015

Quote from: Dave on April 09, 2018, 02:13:55 PM
Yes, nice to see quality. I would love to see the processes used in the first models.

That was one of the very interesting ways that Charles and Ray Eames worked. They did not just draw designs and make pretty models. They actually got their hands dirty and designed the machinery used in the final production step as well.

But did they have lasers and CNC routers in those early days? Or was it a template/pattern from the final design model?

One of the videos does show a woman marking out the leather and cutting it by hand.

But, pfft, CNC router or by hand round a template is a mere detail really - the attention to detail and the hand finishing gives the quality.

No, they designed the plywood moulding machines. That was in 1955 to 1956, long before CNC routers and lasers. It all started during WWII when they designed plywood splints to be used in the field.
This movie from the Vitra factory in Weil am Rhein also shows the production and is very satisfying for workshop-oriented people to watch.

Another family of chairs, the Aluminium Group, was technically a greater achievement. Will post some of them soon.
"Eventually everything connects - people, ideas, objects. The quality of the connections is the key to quality per se."
― Charles Eames

hermes2015

I'm just thinking what a good response we've had to this topic of desirable things. The design missionary in me is very happy.
"Eventually everything connects - people, ideas, objects. The quality of the connections is the key to quality per se."
― Charles Eames

Dave

Quote from: hermes2015 on April 09, 2018, 03:06:04 PM

No, they designed the plywood moulding machines. That was in 1955 to 1956, long before CNC routers and lasers. It all started during WWII when they designed plywood splints to be used in the field.
This movie from the Vitra factory in Weil am Rhein also shows the production and is very satisfying for workshop-oriented people to watch.

Another family of chairs, the Aluminium Group, was technically a greater achievement. Will post some of them soon.

That was the other one I saw. Hmm, similar techniques must have been used to form the plywood fuselage panels for the de Haviland Mosquito - to my mind one of the finest prop fighter bombers ever! Tried to find details of construction methods, no luck so far.

I think if your heroes had designed an aircraft the Mossie would have been close to it, Hermes, beauty with a sting!

Aka "The Timber Terror", the "Loping Lumberyard" or the "Wooden Wonder" by some (probably Americans  :snooty: )

hermes2015

Quote from: Dave on April 09, 2018, 04:11:03 PM
Quote from: hermes2015 on April 09, 2018, 03:06:04 PM

That was the other one I saw. Hmm, similar techniques must have been used to form the plywood fuselage panels for the de Haviland Mosquito - to my mind one of the finest prop fighter bombers ever! Tried to find details of construction methods, no luck so far.

I think if your heroes had designed an aircraft the Mossie would have been close to it, Hermes, beauty with a sting!

Aka "The Timber Terror", the "Loping Lumberyard" or the "Wooden Wonder" by some (probably Americans  :snooty: )

I did not know they used plywood fuselage panels. There is a rather tenuous connection with flight by the Eames Office, in that Eames was second unit director on the Billy Wilder movie about Lindbergh (Spirit of St. Louis).
― Charles Eames

Dave

^
The whole Mossie body and wings were made from wood laminations. I thought it was ordinary plywood but read here it seems the core was balsa with a harder core at the panel edges! I had also been told that Araldite was invented to glue it together, but it seems that was another fake-fact!

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: Bad Penny II on April 09, 2018, 10:09:58 AM
Quote from: hermes2015 on April 08, 2018, 03:01:03 PM
I am very lucky in that I own some of the things I've posted, but what I still hope to own one day is a ceramic horse from the Tang dynasty. This is beautiful example. I also have a weakness for ones from the Han dynasty.

Hint: I have a birthday coming up, in case you HAF guys are wondering what to get me.

Geez Hermes, we can do better than that, we won't stinge out getting you a second hand horse.

Here ya go, happy birthday.

:rofl:

Does it squeak?
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

hermes2015

Quote from: xSilverPhinx on April 09, 2018, 06:36:16 PM
Quote from: Bad Penny II on April 09, 2018, 10:09:58 AM
Quote from: hermes2015 on April 08, 2018, 03:01:03 PM
I am very lucky in that I own some of the things I've posted, but what I still hope to own one day is a ceramic horse from the Tang dynasty. This is beautiful example. I also have a weakness for ones from the Han dynasty.

Hint: I have a birthday coming up, in case you HAF guys are wondering what to get me.

Geez Hermes, we can do better than that, we won't stinge out getting you a second hand horse.

Here ya go, happy birthday.

:rofl:

Does it squeak?

I hope so and I hope she comes with a little comb for her hair. It will keep me busy for hours.
― Charles Eames

xSilverPhinx

I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

Bad Penny II

Quote from: Dave on April 09, 2018, 05:21:12 PM
^
The whole Mossie body and wings were made from wood laminations. I thought it was ordinary plywood but read here it seems the core was balsa with a harder core at the panel edges! I had also been told that Araldite was invented to glue it together, but it seems that was another fake-fact!

Araldite isn't really very good for joining wood,.... is it?
Take my advice, don't listen to me.

Dave

Quote from: Bad Penny II on April 10, 2018, 10:30:11 AM
Quote from: Dave on April 09, 2018, 05:21:12 PM
^

Araldite isn't really very good for joining wood,.... is it?
I have used it when acrylic adhesives would not serve - especially wood to metal, (selected) plastic, glass or rubber joins. Don't make the wood surface too smooth. The wood usually fails before the adhesive in the case of wood/metal.

This was before hot melt was common but I would not trust hm in shear or tension, only as a place keeper in compression for structures.

Not good on woods like pitch pine though.

hermes2015

Continuing my guided tour of physical things that I love, this is one I coveted for many years, since my teens, when I first saw it in a book. It is the chaise longue designed by the architects Le Corbusier and Charlotte Perriand in 1928, when she was only 27. Again, many copies are available, but the certified original design is still made by Cassina.

My wonderful, generous, ex-wife gave me one as a birthday present when we were still married.
― Charles Eames

Dragonia

Hermes, is the above chair comfortable? It's very sleek and distinctive, but it doesn't look very comfortable!
Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle. ~ Plato (?)

Bad Penny II

Quote from: Dragonia on April 11, 2018, 12:31:35 PM
Hermes, is the above chair comfortable? It's very sleek and distinctive, but it doesn't look very comfortable!

I think it looks comfortable but it seems to lock you into one position.
On a normal recliner you squirm around when tired of a position.
Angry Nazi voice: VE HAV DETERMINED THE PERFECT SITTING POSITION!
YOU SHALL ADOPT IT FOR THE DURATION OF THIS RECUMBENCY!
Take my advice, don't listen to me.

Dragonia

There aren't many objects that I deeply desire, I guess. I mean, I want things of course, and I find things beautiful, but not enough to pay for them.
What I deeply desire, what feeds my soul, isn't really objects, it's nature. There is a perfect example of what I aspire to surround myself with, fairly close to my home. I shall leave this tiny little minute-long video that gives a very brief glimpse of this 12-acre wonderland.

I have a rare opportunity to go tour this place in a couple of weeks, but what I really want is to go alone. But that's not allowed :'(
Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle. ~ Plato (?)