News:

In case of downtime/other tech emergencies, you can relatively quickly get in touch with Asmodean Prime by email.

Main Menu

Objects of Desire

Started by hermes2015, April 04, 2018, 07:43:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jumbojak

I seem to have misplaced my sense of adventure... let me know if you come across it, if you don't mind.

"Amazing what chimney sweeping can teach us, no? Keep your fire hot and
your flue clean."  - Ecurb Noselrub

"I'd be incensed by your impudence were I not so impressed by your memory." - Siz

hermes2015

I am very lucky in that I own some of the things I've posted, but what I still hope to own one day is a ceramic horse from the Tang dynasty. This is beautiful example. I also have a weakness for ones from the Han dynasty.

Hint: I have a birthday coming up, in case you HAF guys are wondering what to get me.
"Eventually everything connects - people, ideas, objects. The quality of the connections is the key to quality per se."
― Charles Eames

jumbojak

Care to swap a ceramic horse for a fancy chair hermes?!

"I'd be incensed by your impudence were I not so impressed by your memory." - Siz

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: jumbojak on April 08, 2018, 02:58:29 PM
I seem to have misplaced my sense of adventure... let me know if you come across it, if you don't mind.

:notsure: I think it's the kind of thing that finds you, and can take the form of a friend with whom you lose your good judgement. ;)

I will stop there before I start to sound too cliché :P
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: hermes2015 on April 08, 2018, 03:01:03 PM
I am very lucky in that I own some of the things I've posted, but what I still hope to own one day is a ceramic horse from the Tang dynasty. This is beautiful example. I also have a weakness for ones from the Han dynasty.

Hint: I have a birthday coming up, in case you HAF guys are wondering what to get me.

I wouldn't mind having that either. :tellmemore:

Rift Zone

Quote from: xSilverPhinx on April 08, 2018, 02:51:19 PM
Quote from: Rift Zone on February 03, 2018, 04:23:37 AM
When I'm not geek'n out on something I like to spend time in the outdoors, hiking, biking, kayaking, whatever.   Some of those trips have been thousands of miles long.   I'm a fairly well accomplished adventure trekker, I'm proud to say. 
Intimately mingling with mother nature is nothing new to me; I'm just looking at upgrading my gear.

I used to spend a lot more time outdoors. When I was growing up we would camp a lot, which was always a lot of fun. It ended when I moved to the city, though...
I was raised in Silicon Valley,  I started out much the same, with some family camping trips here and there, cub scouts...    As I approached adulthood, however, I ended up going deeper into wilderness and staying longer.   I have literally done the "John Muir" thing: go deep into the Sierra Nevadas for weeks at a time with little more than a backpack, some gear, and some food.   That led to long-distance hiking (like the Appalachian Trail), kayaking trips that spanned many US states at a time, biking the Pacific Coast, twice, and down the eastern seaboard once...    City people aren't necessarily bound to human civilization; they might just have to travel a bit further to get away from it.  ;)

Quote from: jumbojak on April 08, 2018, 02:58:29 PM
I'll keep a look out for you!   =)
In the last few millennia we have made the most astonishing and unexpected discoveries about the Cosmos and our place within it, explorations that are exhilarating to consider. They remind us that humans have evolved to wonder, that understanding is a joy, that knowledge is prerequisite to survival.   -Carl Sagan

hermes2015

Quote from: jumbojak on April 08, 2018, 03:04:04 PM

Do you have one to trade?

I forgot to mention that one went for $6 million once, but that is unusual.
"Eventually everything connects - people, ideas, objects. The quality of the connections is the key to quality per se."
― Charles Eames

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: Rift Zone on April 08, 2018, 03:08:22 PM
When I'm not geek'n out on something I like to spend time in the outdoors, hiking, biking, kayaking, whatever.   Some of those trips have been thousands of miles long.   I'm a fairly well accomplished adventure trekker, I'm proud to say. 
Intimately mingling with mother nature is nothing new to me; I'm just looking at upgrading my gear.

I used to spend a lot more time outdoors. When I was growing up we would camp a lot, which was always a lot of fun. It ended when I moved to the city, though...
I was raised in Silicon Valley,  I started out much the same, with some family camping trips here and there, cub scouts...    As I approached adulthood, however, I ended up going deeper into wilderness and staying longer.   I have literally done the "John Muir" thing: go deep into the Sierra Nevadas for weeks at a time with little more than a backpack, some gear, and some food.   That led to long-distance hiking (like the Appalachian Trail), kayaking trips that spanned many US states at a time, biking the Pacific Coast, twice, and down the eastern seaboard once...    City people aren't necessarily bound to human civilization; they might just have to travel a bit further to get away from it.  ;)

I wish I had your stamina!  :watching:

jumbojak

Quote from: hermes2015 on April 08, 2018, 03:11:16 PM
Quote from: jumbojak on April 08, 2018, 03:04:04 PM

Do you have one to trade?

At the moment, no. But I'll keep an eye out for you. If I ever do find one it's yours.

xSilverPhinx

Rift Zone

Quote from: xSilverPhinx on April 08, 2018, 03:13:22 PM

"Longest days":

Hiking: 30.1 miles (48.4 km), on The Appalachian Trail, in smoky mountain national park.

Kayaking: 70+ miles (113+km).  Paddled from Montana on the Missouri River, to St. Louis on the Mississippi...   got kinda ambitious on that last day, getting into St. Louis.  -going downstream, however, so I was kinda cheating.

Biking: 143 miles  (230km).   Biking UP the pacific cost is way harder than biking down it (against brutal headwind the whole way).  By the time I turned inland and headed south a bit I was kicking some serious butt.  -ate 5 full meals that day.

Just do it!   -the human body is good at adapting enroute.
In the last few millennia we have made the most astonishing and unexpected discoveries about the Cosmos and our place within it, explorations that are exhilarating to consider. They remind us that humans have evolved to wonder, that understanding is a joy, that knowledge is prerequisite to survival.   -Carl Sagan

hermes2015

Quote from: xSilverPhinx on April 08, 2018, 03:16:59 PM

That will look good next to a horse. I would too scared to get one though - aren't they difficult to maintain?
― Charles Eames

Dragonia

Quote from: Rift Zone on April 08, 2018, 03:57:00 PM

"Longest days":

Hiking: 30.1 miles (48.4 km), on The Appalachian Trail, in smoky mountain national park.

Kayaking: 70+ miles (113+km).  Paddled from Montana on the Missouri River, to St. Louis on the Mississippi...   got kinda ambitious on that last day, getting into St. Louis.  -going downstream, however, so I was kinda cheating.

Biking: 143 miles  (230km).   Biking UP the pacific cost is way harder than biking down it (against brutal headwind the whole way).  By the time I turned inland and headed south a bit I was kicking some serious butt.  -ate 5 full meals that day.

You are awesome... I've always wanted to do longer backpacking trips, but work has always gotten in the way and my longer vacations have always involved other activities.
My longest backpacking trips were all in Alaska, pre-children.
Crow Creek Pass, Resurrection Trail, Denali, Wrangell Mountains.

But I am a dirt girl. I would rather do anything in the woods than in the water. And to me, sailing is a punishment. I just hate it  :sshocked:
Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle. ~ Plato (?)

Tom62

Quote from: xSilverPhinx on April 08, 2018, 02:04:38 PM
Quote from: Tom62 on April 08, 2018, 08:35:04 AM
I recently saw this car in the Friedrichshafen Zeppelin museum and fell in love with it

Oh...no. :grin: You would probably have to haul an entire gas station behind you in order to drive that. Just in case you get an empty tank after a few kms...

True, the car weighs approx. 3000 Kg and it was one of the most powerful production car in the world at the time (1930). It had an 8 liter V12 engine (a top speed of 171km/h). In 2012, a 1938 DS8 Roadster sold for €1.3 million at auction. If you have that amount of money then you can also afford to haul an entire gas station behind you  ;).
The universe never did make sense; I suspect it was built on government contract.
Robert A. Heinlein

Rift Zone

Quote from: Dragonia on April 08, 2018, 04:13:11 PM
Quote from: Rift Zone on April 08, 2018, 03:57:00 PM

"Longest days":

You are awesome...
*glee*   Thanks!  I appreciate that.  =)

I've always wanted to do longer backpacking trips, but work has always gotten in the way and my longer vacations have always involved other activities.
My longest backpacking trips were all in Alaska, pre-children.
Crow Creek Pass, Resurrection Trail, Denali, Wrangell Mountains.
Any investment we make in life tends to detract from other options...   I'm very pleased with the path I've taken in life, but it's not all that good for career or family...   The latter being something I never wanted to compromise; however, the future of that remains questionable.   

That's awesome!    I have yet to spend time in Alaska; I hope to follow in your footsteps at some point!   =)

But I am a dirt girl. I would rather do anything in the woods than in the water. And to me, sailing is a punishment. I just hate it  :sshocked:
Outdoorsy girls are the best kind.   I'm kinda in the same boat as you are; the sea is cool, but the mountains speak to my being much stronger.    I don't plan on getting stuck on some catamaran though...   Aside from some sea kayaks, I fully intend to bring some whitewater gear, mountain bikes, and trekking poles with me.   The Cat will amount to "base camp".