News:

The default theme for this site has been updated. For further information, please take a look at the announcement regarding HAF changing its default theme.

Main Menu

Objects of Desire

Started by hermes2015, April 04, 2018, 07:43:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

joeactor

Quote from: hermes2015 on April 06, 2018, 04:43:19 AM
Quote from: joeactor on April 05, 2018, 08:49:51 PM
Well, this thread grew fast!

I've got an Aeron office chair - they're very good.

And my wife's got some other Herman Miller items. Some I like, some are WTF? (esp. the pricing)

... always wanted that juicer.

I built a Lego version of Falling Waters, but I'd need a shrink ray to live in it.

So, where can I get a working Rocket Pack?

Wow, kindred spirits! Which other Herman Miller items do you guys have?  All my other Herman Miller stuff is Eames furniture, except for the office area..

I am a qualified Herman Miller Action Office installer and used to do that as a hobby over weekends to earn some pocket money. I had a team of 6 guys assisting me and some months I made more from that than my full time job as a chemist. My office at home is fully Action Office. At the moment it is a bit untidy with two projects I'm working on, but will post a photo when things have settled.

I got the juicer as a birthday present from an ex lover (after I was divorced).

That rocket pack looks like an Eduardo Paolozzi sculpture to me.
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/art/art-reviews/10177013/Eduardo-Paolozzi-at-Pallant-House.html

We've got an Eames bookcase:

The most fascinating thing about it is that it assembles like tinker toys. I can imagine it being very configurable. The irony is that they only sell it like this... you can't buy bits and pieces to assemble one.

Love the Romeo and Juliet sculpture. Very creative!

hermes2015

Quote from: joeactor on April 06, 2018, 04:56:10 PM
We've got an Eames bookcase:

That Eames Storage Unit is very desirable and you are lucky to have it. Herman Miller have reissued it after many years. Keep an eye open for ones produced in the early 1950s at garage sales, because they can fetch around 20000 dollars on auction. The original plywood screens also fetch very high prices, so it's worth it to hunt for them.
"Eventually everything connects - people, ideas, objects. The quality of the connections is the key to quality per se."
― Charles Eames

xSilverPhinx

Hermes, each time I go to a store called Tok&Stok I am reminded of you because a lot of designers, mostly up-and-coming, sell their furniture there.  Some are interesting, others a little wacky.  :P

I got this on a discount for my books, which I like very much:

I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: hermes2015 on April 04, 2018, 04:27:01 PM
I want to live here (Frank Lloyd Wright's 1935 Fallingwater house).

Wow. :love:

(That looks minecraftable! :grin:)

hermes2015

Quote from: xSilverPhinx on April 06, 2018, 11:04:04 PM
Hermes, each time I go to a store called Tok&Stok I am reminded of you because a lot of designers, mostly up-and-coming, sell their furniture there.  Some are interesting, others a little wacky.  :P

I got this on a discount for my books, which I like very much:

I am flattered that you think of me sometimes! That shelf unit is very attractive. I am a white and black furniture person, but that colour really works well.
"Eventually everything connects - people, ideas, objects. The quality of the connections is the key to quality per se."
― Charles Eames

hermes2015

Savoy vase by Finnish architect Alvar Aalto made by Iitala.

― Charles Eames

Siz

Quote from: hermes2015 on April 07, 2018, 08:30:49 AM
Savoy vase by Finnish architect Alvar Aalto made by Iitala.

My wife buys this crap all the time. So, I'm proud to be a partial owner of this ridiculous vase and the (Actually quite decent) lemon juicer.

When one sleeps on the floor one need not worry about falling out of bed - Anton LaVey

The universe is a cold, uncaring void. The key to happiness isn't a search for meaning, it's to just keep yourself busy with unimportant nonsense, and eventually you'll be dead!

hermes2015

Quote from: Siz on April 07, 2018, 12:20:32 PM
My wife buys this crap all the time. So, I'm proud to be a partial owner of this ridiculous vase and the (Actually quite decent) lemon juicer.

:lol:
― Charles Eames

Bad Penny II

Quote from: Siz on April 07, 2018, 12:20:32 PM
... and the (Actually quite decent) lemon juicer.

You have a juicer that is lemon specific?
What would happen if you put a lime in't?
Would doing oranges void the warranty?
Take my advice, don't listen to me.

Bad Penny II

hermes2015

― Charles Eames

Bad Penny II

xSilverPhinx

It's nice but the question that needs to be asked is: how many megabytes of music can you fit into one of those huge discs? I'm assuming those are vintage discs, they are too stiff to be magazines...:notsure:

Does it come in HD? :popcorn:

hermes2015

Quote from: xSilverPhinx on April 07, 2018, 09:01:31 PM
It's nice but the question that needs to be asked is: how many megabytes of music can you fit into one of those huge discs? I'm assuming those are vintage discs, they are too stiff to be magazines...:notsure:

Does it come in HD? :popcorn:

The music on an LP is in analog form. If one converts the whole LP into a computer file, the size depends on the format. An uncompressed WAV file would be roughly 700MB. I always use lossless FLAC format files at home, and they are about 300MB or a bit smaller for all the music on an LP. Lower quality MP3 files (I use them in my car) are much smaller and their sizes depend on the data rate, which determines the quality of reproduction.
― Charles Eames

Bluenose

Want, want, want...

But,

Can't afford...  :( :( :(

Hawker Sea Fury, the fastest production single piston-engined aircraft ever built.

Simply a thing of beauty.  Listen to the roar of the mighty Bristol Centaurus engine - gotta love the sound of round...
+++ Divide by cucumber error: please reinstall universe and reboot.  +++

GNU Terry Pratchett